Cold?
IGNORED

The Year in review

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

If it's in the wrong place Mods please move it.

Well for me it must be the Sheffield Floods. More details here. http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/html/the_floods.html

That followed a very warm dry April which caused me to predict a dry hot summer. Ooops.

May was wet but June the Ducks and the Subs really took over.

After July it was the lack of rain was the dominating factor and this has continued with rainfall being on off ever since mainly off though.

A lack of Thunderstorms yet plenty of Thundery Rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Yes for me were the floods were quite shiocking living near to Attercliffe.The heat in april was also a suprise as was the terrible summer with winter type synoptics.Strange year really. :(

Posted

This year started off with an very windy january and febuary and march.

the summer was very dry for lewis, but saying that It never got very warm.

aurturm was very wet back to usall but it took a long time for the atlantic lows to get started.

decmeber started to act like its suppoed to wind wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my favourite bit was 8-9 feb 07 the frontal snow a heck of a lot for the even larger teapot lasting 2 days, April was fantastic a lot of sun, the summer was crap wimbledon washouts, and then those 2 unbelievably horrid days 20-21st July, november was decentish at times the odd cold day and snow on the 18th

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

Spring - An amazing sunny, dry and warm April-Early May, and the false dawn of maybe thinking we were in for a cracking summer lol How wrong was that precursor. British Weather is such a tease at times.

There was a cracking review by Philip Eden the other night on Radio 5 Live, it lasted about 15/20mins and basically left nothing out from the Weather Year 2007.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

The year started bad with storms forcing the Napoli Cargo ship to have to be beached off the East Devon Coast

We then have very mild temperatures during spring, lulling me in to a false hope for summer.

July was awful, wet, windy and very cold. I'm not sure I remember such a prolonged bad spell of summer weather.

August had a brief turnaround to some warmer weather, followed by a warmer than average Autumn and then just recently we have enjoyed some brief cold snaps.

I hope early new year gives us a bit of excitement on the snow front :(

Posted

Everything after late April 2007 sucked.

For a few months everything was going so well. Sunny and warm afternoons in London city, but then...the change. Hell, in late April even the cold rampers were starting to believe that my CET prediction might come true. Ohh...how things change.

Anyone with an unbiased mind should have realised that by June, the year was essentially to be written off as a wet and rubbish mess.

Calrissian: on the leading edge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon, the year opened with three homogeneously mild months, although they were quite sunny, and each month featured one cold snap. There was a small dusting of snow briefly on 23 January, a 2cm cover on 7 February, and a more significant snow event on 20/21 March. It was an unusually snow free winter by North East standards, but rather like in the 1998/99 season, it was unusual in that the coast got rather more snow than inland areas.

April was a remarkable month. I really enjoyed the sunshine of the first half, but the second half wasn't as spectacular sunshine wise and I got bored with the lack of variety. May was a pretty average month.

Summer 2007 began with an extremely dull June- probably the dullest at the location since 1987. There were decent T-storms on 20, 21 and 23 June, but on my birthday (22nd) a narrow strip along the coast stayed dry while the rest of the region got thunderstorms. July and August weren't bad, at least relative to most other parts of the country, with near average temperatures and sunshine amounts; indeed early August was rather sunny. Reminiscent of July/August 1988, 1992 and 1993 perhaps, when most regions had rather poor months in July & August but the North East came out with near or above average sunshine. There were four consecutive days of thunder on 1-4 July- it's extremely rare to get four thunder-days in a month in this region, let alone on the trot!

Autumn was dry and sunny with slightly above average temperature. Unfortunately, in Norwich, where I spent October and November, it was rather less good sunshine wise. December, pretty average.

Overall, not one of my favourite years for weather- I'd rate 2005 and 2006 more highly than 2007- but then again, I'd rate 2002 as having been worse. To my mind, Summer 2007 was a poor summer but not significantly worse than 1998, 2000, 2002 or 2004.

Posted

Things i will remember from this year

February: Heavy snowfall one night (Forgot the date but i think it was round the 9th)

April: Best month this year sunny and warm

Summer: All that rain and the floods in June which effected round here

December: the two week cold spell

Posted
The January storm. The strongest winds I've ever experienced. Quite a bit of damage.

The Great Blizzard of February. Over a foot of snow over 2 days.

Very dry and warm April.

Lack of thunderstorms.

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

To me 2007 will go down as the year with no summer. We broke 25c perhaps only 3 or 4 times all year which is staggering compared to 2006 where 25c was broken more times in a week than that!

We kicked off the year like most these days - mild, wet & windy throughout Jan & Feb with only one snow event I can remember.

The glorious, warm and sunny April was certainly a teaser with many of us thinking the July 2006 pattern was once again firm bringing in yet another roasting summer - how wrong we were.

June and July were simply dreadful with vast amounts of rain almost daily and, esp in June, very little sunshine relative to the norm. All those things you had thought about in summer whilst patiently waiting through those long winter months when stuck inside were now not possible. I distinctly remember going to the pub on a very cold feeling July Saturday night and all anyone could do was get depressed about the precious summertime rapidly dissapearing.

Gladly, August was better although not particularly warm which limited outdoor sitting around to daylight hours (which meant weekends as days are shorter in August) but was certainly dry.

A lovely autumn - colourful, dry and mellow and a welcome change from the recent rainy ones. The high amounts of sunshine helped alot to repair the damage from the summer and prepare us for the winter ahead.

Then into winter where it's been cold and a mix of sunny, crisp days but also a lot of grim low cloud persisting for almost 2 weeks.

Overall - 1st class spring and 1st class autumn. Appalling summer though although could be worse if August has carried on in the same fashion.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Lack of thunderstorms.

:nonono:

There was certainly a lack of t-storms in this locale this summer, I'm greatful to have had the storm fix in the US back in May. Been pretty uneventfull here all year:hardly any thunder and lightning; little snow; no heatwaves - though obviously the floods were big talking point in other parts of England.

Posted

well, this year has been very boring here weather wise. Nothing really sticks out, not even a Thunder storm, hail, snow, high winds. Its been very bland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Certainly the night of the 23/24th of June goes down in the memory as probably the heaviest extended period of rain I've experienced outside of the tropics - quite extraordinary - by 4am we had standing water 3 inches deep in the road outside and I knew Louth was likely to be in trouble. July rain event somewhat less spectacular but with the groundwater so high and the aquifers brim full, it didn't take much to cause the problems all over again. Other than that, the 3rd of July thunderstorms - quite spectacular nocturnal light show, oh and the stunning April.

Winter was very stormy until april when it became dry warm and sunny and that continued throught the summer then at autumn it was calm but very wet and now winter again it has been cold here and dry but stormy at times.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

January and February were very wet and unsettled, I remember thunderstorms on both Jan 1st, Jan 21st and Feb 28th.

March started off very stormy but turned more springlike after a wintry spell mid-month.

April was very dry, warm and sunny - like summer!

May, June and July were very wet. The wettest week was May 7th-13th when 96.4mm of rain fell. June 19th saw the biggest and most impressive thunderstorm of the year. July was unseasonably cold until the closing days.

August through to the middle of November was dry and fairly warm. August and September were sunny. The autumn colours were fabulous in October and November.

December, after a very unsettled and thundery first week and been cold, dry and wintry up until Christmas.

Posted

2007, one of the most exciting years.

A very mild January and February but with a notable snowfall in both months (February being the best)

The best hottest and Sunniest April ever

The very cold and wet May Bank Holiday (maxima around 6.0c)

A very wet Summer with the most notable floods in memory. Cool July and August with very low maixma

A more normal Autumn with the cold end to September

An extremely diverse December from a very warm spell to a very cold one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Great year in my opinion, poor start with a mild winter but will always remberer the thunderstorms and floods of late june early july, great autumn much more typical with everything on schedule unlike recent years, nice start to winter with more frosts that last winter in total :rolleyes:

Posted

The floods in Gloucestershire during July for sure. Apart from the flash floods from the initial day of rain, I was lucky and didn't fare too badly. Our water doesn't come from the pumping station at Tewkesbury, so we never lost our supply, unlike most of the rest of the county.

In February, looking across the Severn to the Forest of Dean and seeing it covered in up to a foot of snow, whilst we only had a bit of sleet was a bit depressing too. It was all gone by the next day though.

Bill

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

January - A truly horrible winter month, 3rd warmest on record and very wet

February - 2 snow events, though none of them major for me, though again, wet

March - A pleasent and pretty average month

April - The hottest and sunniest on record

May - Pretty average, cna't remember much

June - Very wet and humid

July - A wet and cool summer month, the most negative summer anomoly departure since 2002 i think

August - A cool and dry summer month, quite pleasent

September - Very variable, but dry

October - Pretty average but dry

Posted

2007 an interesting year weatherwise IMO. :o

January very mild and wet but with notable snowfall early on the 24th.

February another mild month but with significant but shortlived snowfall on the 8th.

March another generally mild month but with northerly outbreak on the weekend of the 17th, although didn't see any snow here.

April the most 'summery' month of 2007 with lots of sunshine, warmth and a distinct lack of rain. Also the last month of 2007 to have an overall CET significantly above average.

May rather average overall but notably cold and wet during weekend of the 26th.

June warmer than average overall with a warm first half, but cooler and unsettled second half with significant rainfall.

July a washout and rather cool, with very few dry and warm days.

August close to average, but cool and unsettled after a hot start. Last 10 days of month more settled and rather warm in south west, but very cool and wet in eastern areas until last 5 days.

September rather warm first half turning much cooler after mid-month but dry overall with temperatures close to average. Much more seasonal than recent years, particularly last year.

October another close to average month but very dry with some warm spells.

November another dry month with temperatures again not far from average. Notable warm start to month. Generally more frosty than recent Novembers.

December after a very mild and wet start, 10 day cold and settled spell with frequent frosts and some low maximas. Very seasonal. Mild and wet Christmas period with temps falling back towards average by month end. An average overall CET looking likely.

What will 2008 bring? Will the exceptional warmth return, or will we see the cooler treand continue? :sorry: