Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

NightSky

Posted
But to take first class pictures...it's SOOOOOOOOO difficult. Really - it's not worth the effort or the money. You need cooled CCDs. equatorially mounted optics, high precision drives, periodic error correction....it's only for the rich and retired I think. Anyway, if you're talking about long exposure photos, aperture doesn't make much difference - only to the resolution of the image being viewed. You can take some stunning shots with little 3" refractors, and you can pick them up with one hand.

You can...you can place it on a tracking plate, but then you might as well mout it equatorially as to my mind, the whole point of a Dobsonian is that you have no wires or motors or gadgets - you just point it where you want.

I`ve been thinking of getting one for a while now, probably about 12" or 16". One thing is it wont be a MEADE as i had one before and it was crap.

Posted
I`ve been thinking of getting one for a while now, probably about 12" or 16". One thing is it wont be a MEADE as i had one before and it was crap.

I've got a 12". It's a truly wonderful telescope but it hardly ever gets used because it's so heavy. My little three inch gets used far more, so is actually the best telescope I have.

Read a review of this today - sounds excellent value for money.

Posted

I used to have a 14 inch big one boys..lol....No truth I did.......It was so big like Ozz said.....Not worth it unless you've got a big garden with a big shed...Alot of work to construct the roof...Used to wake the neighbors up when opening the roof..

Acchos....Meade is recommended because of the Mount tracking......Also what Meade did you have.....Astronomers praise this up for Astrophotography...

My 14 inch I rarely used....toooooooooo Big....I must ahve used it about 10 times before I sold it..(about 10 yrs ago now)

Wish i'd invested the extra to get refractors.............the moisture at this time of year is a pain as far as protecting the mirror on a reflector goes :whistling:

you can buy moisture heaters for telescope....many have these special things wrapped around them...they work..I dont know how but they do

Edited by dogs32

Posted

through a Meade,,with..DSI-Pro II camera sensor..the images were probaly stacked to get the clarity...and finished on photoshop for the finished product

through a Canon 400D

courtesy of cheapskate and STEPHEN HAMILTON

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I used to have a 14 inch big one boys..lol....No truth I did.......It was so big like Ozz said.....Not worth it unless you've got a big garden with a big shed...Alot of work to construct the roof...Used to wake the neighbors up when opening the roof..

Acchos....Meade is recommended because of the Mount tracking......Also what Meade did you have.....Astronomers praise this up for Astrophotography...

My 14 inch I rarely used....toooooooooo Big....I must ahve used it about 10 times before I sold it..(about 10 yrs ago now)

you can buy moisture heaters for telescope....many have these special things wrapped around them...they work..I dont know how but they do

It was a 5" newtonian with the goto thing. I`ve used quite a few times over the past 2-3 years, but it was just a fortnight ago and the motors failed. I`m now using the little 3" newtonian i have, i actually get a better image from it than i did with the meade.

I think those truss dobsonians are quite a good idea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear sky or snow

I'll add aperture is king when it comes to photography (but only if you can move it and use it) and a good tracking and or autoguided mount is a must for long exposure.

look for a yahoo group called digital astro for more help/images.

Posted
I'll add aperture is king when it comes to photography (but only if you can move it and use it) and a good tracking and or autoguided mount is a must for long exposure.

look for a yahoo group called digital astro for more help/images.

Thanks Trebor....I found Cloudynights.com the best for info on ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY...LOMSDALE..or LORMSDALE IS THE BEST tracking mount...

But I will check out astro yahoo........I know its hard and difficult to do...but thats why its interesting to see if you can get good at it.....I certainly not getting a massive thing again...And I know you dont need a huge telescope to take great pics.....any 6' or 8' will do...and better still with a Canon....or an expensive image device dsI

Acchos have you tried any pics on you 3'

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Thanks Trebor....I found Cloudynights.com the best for info on ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY...LOMSDALE..or LORMSDALE IS THE BEST tracking mount...

But I will check out astro yahoo........I know its hard and difficult to do...but thats why its interesting to see if you can get good at it.....I certainly not getting a massive thing again...And I know you dont need a huge telescope to take great pics.....any 6' or 8' will do...and better still with a Canon....or an expensive image device dsI

Acchos have you tried any pics on you 3'

I havent taken any pics with it, its an old thing, from the 1950`s, very tough, the metal is 1/4" thick on the tube.

I`ll try one night and get some pics from it.