Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

225milion years ago

Posted

This is just a query rather than a question with a definate answer, if that makes sense?!

Basically I was thinking the other night about hurricanes and there formation etc, and this got me thinking ;

Back when Pangea was the only landmass (and the rest was ocean) could hurricanes have travelled almost half way around the world and continued to grow in strength, so that they would hit land as some sort of superstorm? I dont know if that is even possible in theory? Just a little thought that I had and was hoping someone with some knowledge on things like this could set me straight.

ta very much

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

ooh chi wahwah!

I'd imagine they were limited in intensity by the same 'cloud top temp' that limits todays 'canes in intensity but my oh my what size could they have achieved? You look at the super typhoons in the Pacific today and give them more water to develop over........

There must be fossil evidence of the smaller more 'seasonal' aspects of what the climate was like then,as opposed to long term trends.A typhoon/hurricane(he he the could've started out as one then been re-named on their way around the globe)always leaves some mark on the seabed as it approaches landfall-one presumes these events would be documented.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
There must be fossil evidence of the smaller more 'seasonal' aspects of what the climate was like then,as opposed to long term trends.A typhoon/hurricane(he he the could've started out as one then been re-named on their way around the globe)always leaves some mark on the seabed as it approaches landfall-one presumes these events would be documented.

The seabed and the landmasses both geologically moved as they continue to move, so the seabed will now be in a totally different state and all traces of the track will have been swallowed up as it was so long ago IMO. RE fossils, thats a different matter.

Bet there were some nice thunderstorms in Pangea :doh:

Edited by Rustynailer

The seabed and the landmasses both geologically moved as they continue to move, so the seabed will now be in a totally different state and all traces of the track will have been swallowed up as it was so long ago IMO. RE fossils, thats a different matter.

Bet there were some nice thunderstorms in Pangea :doh:

Sorry I didn't put that well...I was refering to documented fossil seabed as found in Whitby(although obviously different era)Think the thunderstorms might have been irrelevant compared to the odd beastie you may have encountered. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
This is just a query rather than a question with a definate answer, if that makes sense?!

Basically I was thinking the other night about hurricanes and there formation etc, and this got me thinking ;

Back when Pangea was the only landmass (and the rest was ocean) could hurricanes have travelled almost half way around the world and continued to grow in strength, so that they would hit land as some sort of superstorm? I dont know if that is even possible in theory? Just a little thought that I had and was hoping someone with some knowledge on things like this could set me straight.

ta very much

I did a bit of research and found this amongst other web sites

http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword09m.htm

Apparently these 'hypercane' beasties can occur as as result of under volcanic activity or asteroid impact, and research has suggested that there was a huge upsurge in both land and under-sea volcanic activity around the permian/triassic period boundarys (225 million years ago) so quite possibly a series of these hypercanes would have ravaged the 'Pangean' coastlines...now that would have made for an interesting Radio 4 shipping forecast! :o ;)

Apparently these 'hypercane' beasties can occur as as result of under volcanic activity or asteroid impact, and research has suggested that there was a huge upsurge in both land and under-sea volcanic activity around the permian/triassic period boundarys (225 million years ago) so quite possibly a series of these hypercanes would have ravaged the 'Pangean' coastlines...now that would have made for an interesting Radio 4 shipping forecast! :o ;)

Interesting post!Cheers aj' ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

500mph ;) Mind you "hypercane" has a nice ring to it :o

The theorized 200mph we could max at now should be one of those Hypercanes IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
As opposed to hyperphoon -sounds like an overy active forum leader

lol...

Here's another interesting link for the mother of all storms...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1451...-hot-water.html

It certainly is an interesting subject matter even if slightly off topic.....I'll start another thread for the 'hypercane' scenario, it will be an interesting discussion!