Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hybrid research get go ahead

Read an item today stating that the Human Fertilisation and Embroyology Authority gave permission after consultations showed the public were at ease with the prospect of creating human-animal embyos for the furtherment of medical research.Surely it raises moral,religious,ethical- lists more issues?I'm not sure I am at ease with the prospect and that surprised me as I am normaly fairly easy going.....who were this 'public' that forwarded the thumbs up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Well no one asked me!

Seriously though, although I believe in the benefits of this research, a better source of embryonic stem cells is required. I do have issues with this sort of cut and paste transplanting of genetic material between species. Namely every success in this field creates countless ethical questions on the next course of action.

Cloning...Done

Hybrid...check

Army of cloned super intellegent dog/man hybrid body guards....sit!

Ok slight exaggeration, but I do wonder where this research will lead us in the future.

Posted

You only have to venture as far as Sacriston to realise that this has already been achieved.

(Albeit the blending between human and animal has occured in a remarkably subtle way...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have to admit, it's one of those issues where I can see the arguments on both sides- so I'm not really bothered about it.

I have to admit, it's one of those issues where I can see the arguments on both sides- so I'm not really bothered about it.

Is that arguement not rather like saying Hitler did some wonderful things for Germany pre-war but he had his faults also so I'm not really bothered?

Does anyone else think this is interesting?

I have 7 chilren so do I suppose have a pro-life take on things and was interested in how we treat what is in fact a human being in whatever form.............You post items that I have found dreadfuly dull but I don't go out of my way to tell you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Read an item today stating that the Human Fertilisation and Embroyology Authority gave permission after consultations showed the public were at ease with the prospect of creating human-animal embyos for the furtherment of medical research.Surely it raises moral,religious,ethical- lists more issues?I'm not sure I am at ease with the prospect and that surprised me as I am normaly fairly easy going.....who were this 'public' that forwarded the thumbs up?

It seems to me that the H.F.E.A are attempting to play god with mother nature...Not the best idea, me thinks, because when you try and do this, Mother Nature has this knack of kicking you squarely in your privates when your back is turned, IMHO

Posted
I have 7 chilren so do I suppose have a pro-life take on things and was interested in how we treat what is in fact a human being in whatever form.............You post items that I have found dreadfuly dull but I don't go out of my way to tell you :)

You poor poor buggar.

Posted

I wasn't being sarcastic so you don't need lecture me :)

I find this piece of research interesting and I was enquiring if anyone else did too, from a scientific view, instead of debating it's Hilteresque qualities, which I happen to think was bad taste but I kept that to myself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have always fancied a pair of wings myself :) At the present rate of biotechnological development, a hundred years on the situation regarding feeding an increasing population may well mean hybridization of certain food species, fish for instance.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

The embryo is not a viable cell though as I understand it. It would never become a foetus if implanted in a womb & does not have the potential for life.

On balance I have no objections.

I wasn't being sarcastic so you don't need lecture me :lol:

I find this piece of research interesting and I was enquiring if anyone else did too, from a scientific view, instead of debating it's Hilteresque qualities, which I happen to think was bad taste but I kept that to myself.

Sorry I mistook your comment as you have mine.I didn't actually say there was a Hitleresque side to it more a concern/interest as to where it may lead.

Edited by hannegan