Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WS3600 - LaCrosse weather station

Posted

Hello Busman

ws 3610 ws 3600 ws 2300 ws 2310 ws 2350 ws 2307 ws 2317 ws 2305 ws 2315 , all of them it have the same rain gauge .

And you look the reed switch ,maybe do not can you see if it is broken ,it is better to look it with a multimeter .

if you like look in my web site about reed switch ,and others transformers about La-crosse ws-2300

http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967/page2

Hi,can any body help please.I have a ws3610 i got from the states and the raingauge has never worked(the sensor in the buket was broke)is there any other raingauge that will work with this weather staion,or can one be made ?.The ws3610 is the same as ws3600.

Edited by weather1967

Posted

Ok today the wind speed stopped working.

Where you put the plug into the box thing where the plug goes i see one of the metal parts are rusty.

Does anyone know where i can get a new one?

And dont worry it wont rust again because i now have a box for it to go in :)

If you need pics then ill post them.

Going to take it apart and clean it tommorow and see how it goes

thanks for the link

If you clean up the connections and give them a spray with electrical contact cleaner, allow to dry well before putting it back together again, then that should work. :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work then, your station's not that old and it may still be covered under warrenty, worth a go anyway. :)

Posted

Ok i emailed them and they said take the batteries out for 20minutes then put them back in and have the thermo and base close together so they can get use to each other for 3 to 4hours i done this and it said it would cure 90% of your problems and it didnt :wacko: Now i am having to send the base, thermo and wind speed back so they can test it which will take ages :lazy:

Posted

OK today after two hours working on the weather station the wind speed and everything works so thats good now and i dont have to send it back.

Posted
What was wrong with it WM??

While it was outside (now its in a box where it should be) the wind plug got rusty so i then cleaned it up and it was all shiny again. But when i put the plugs back i mixed the rain up with the wind but the rain seemed to have worked even knowing it was in the wrong part. So today i took everything apart i found out the wiring was all mived up so i sorted that out and now everything is neat and tidy looking and everything is working and i have marked the wires so i know which one is which. :drinks:

Edited by weathermaster

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

WS3600 has packed up again this morning with the first sign of moisture . It gets to 90% humidity then says i've had enough and reads --:-- on both wind and temperature so frustrating .

Without splashing out on a Vanatge pro that i cant afford does anyone know of a decent WS say half the price of a Davis ?

Edited by Delta76

What are your requirements?

Wired or wireless, PC connection (USB or Serial), data logger or no data logger, out of the box kit or a build your own?

You could take your chance on the warrenty and get a cabled Davis VP2 from the U.S for around £250-350, but it will have to back to the U.S for any warrenty work and you have to add import duty & VAT to price.

Or there's the OS WRM928 which is a good station but has no data logger so if you keep your data on a PC then it won't record anything while the PC is switched off.

If you fancy a home build then there's the 1-Wire system where you can add as many or as few sensors as you like. You could even keep the WS3600 going and run a 1-Wire temp & humidity sensor as a backup. ;)

Posted
What are your requirements?

Wired or wireless, PC connection (USB or Serial), data logger or no data logger, out of the box kit or a build your own?

You could take your chance on the warrenty and get a cabled Davis VP2 from the U.S for around £250-350, but it will have to back to the U.S for any warrenty work and you have to add import duty & VAT to price.

Or there's the OS WRM928 which is a good station but has no data logger so if you keep your data on a PC then it won't record anything while the PC is switched off.

If you fancy a home build then there's the 1-Wire system where you can add as many or as few sensors as you like. You could even keep the WS3600 going and run a 1-Wire temp & humidity sensor as a backup. :wallbash:

The one i have now is ok for my requirements and the majority of the time it works ok . Its a good distance away from the basestion as i have a very big back garden and wanted the sensor away from the house and belive me its a good distance away from the house . I'm wondering if its worth buying a new sensor just in case the one i have has a fault on it or bringing it nearer the basestation ?????

The one i have now is ok for my requirements and the majority of the time it works ok . Its a good distance away from the basestion as i have a very big back garden and wanted the sensor away from the house and belive me its a good distance away from the house . I'm wondering if its worth buying a new sensor just in case the one i have has a fault on it or bringing it nearer the basestation ?????

I would start by brining the sensor closerr to the base as that could very well be your problem.

WM - you can make your own cables, all you need is some Cat5 cable and an RJ11 crimping tool. I think they are wired in parallel, rather than twisted, but you can check the colours on your existing cables to make sure. :D

I got THIS crimping set from Maplins.

Posted
Does anyone know where i can get a longer cable for the WS3600 - LaCrosse ?

The cable is nothing special. You can buy extension modem cables with the plugs attached quite cheaply. I posted a link to a company somewhere on this section.

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Well I finally got it up at the weekend for the first time in over a year...

Yes, that would be my WS3600. It has been sitting in the box for the past year or so ready for when we made the move. Boy oh boy did it have to work hard last night too, but it held on and gave me some great data, except for one thing..... the rain guage, it recorded nothing, nada :) ah well, must re-check all of the connections etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The aneometer wind speed has stopped working again. I connected it up with the cable and still does not work.

Tommorow morning ill try something that might work.

Check that the fan is still going round, if so then it could be the magnet that registers the rotation of the fan. Do reset of the base unit and maybe a complet batteries out shut-down of the base & sensor units.

Also check the cable to the anemometer, if there are any loose area in the cable then look for damage from the cable being rubbed against the wall. :)

Posted
Check that the fan is still going round, if so then it could be the magnet that registers the rotation of the fan. Do reset of the base unit and maybe a complet batteries out shut-down of the base & sensor units.

Also check the cable to the anemometer, if there are any loose area in the cable then look for damage from the cable being rubbed against the wall. :)

Hi

The fan is going round. It might be the magnet then. Ill do a test tommorow.

Posted

I got it working last sunday ;)

The rain guage is picking up the rain well but i found today the cover was on the wrong way so could this have slowed down the rain count?? I put it round to normal and the rain count went up.

I would have thought that if the cover was allowing the bucket to tip then it shouldn't have made any difference.

The only way it would affect the reading is if the cover wasn't dropping the collected rain directly into the buckets and allowing some to miss the buckets, then your readings would be off.

The WS3600 rain gauge is different to the WS2300 that I have as I can't put the cover on the wrong way round. ;)