Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WS3600 - LaCrosse weather station

I would have thought that if the cover was allowing the bucket to tip then it shouldn't have made any difference.

The only way it would affect the reading is if the cover wasn't dropping the collected rain directly into the buckets and allowing some to miss the buckets, then your readings would be off.

The WS3600 rain gauge is different to the WS2300 that I have as I can't put the cover on the wrong way round. ;)

Thanks ;)

I want you advice where to put my raingauge i made a map and where the cicle is, is where i think it should go right down at the bottom of the garden.

thromna1.png

I'm still at work and the servers here block anything on Image Shack or Photo Bucket so I'll have to wait until I get home to see the map. ;)

What you need is somewhere that is in open ground with no, or very, little wind shaddow.

I need to move mine as the house blocks some of the rain from the gauge when we have a Westerly blowing. So you want a position where the wind will hit it from any direction.

For the amount of time we have winds from the North then you can afford a little shaddow from that direction.

I'll have a look at the map at arounf 9pm when I get home, have got the compass directions on it or can you describe where North is on the map for me? ;)

Sorry for the late reply, been making weather avatars & banners for Denmark since I got home. :D

That looks OK for the rain gauge, I take it the back of the house faces South then?

If you get as much distance between the back of the house & the gauge as possible then you shouldn't get too much of a rain shadow from the house in a Northerly.

All you can do is see how it goes, these things are always a bit of a compromise anyway and you've just got to do the best you can with what you have. ;)

That's why I need to move mine, the wife made 6.5mm of rain last week when she was digging the garden where the raingauge is!! :D

I told her about it and she said "Oh yah, I was knocking the shoval against the post to clean the mud off it"!! ;);)

That's why I need to move mine, the wife made 6.5mm of rain last week when she was digging the garden where the raingauge is!! :D

I told her about it and she said "Oh yah, I was knocking the shoval against the post to clean the mud off it"!! ;):D

;)

To stop this just take the rainfall plug out when messing about with it then when your finshed put it back in that what i done today ;)

Just my wheel barrow keeps flying about the garden on morning it beside the wall the next beside the fence ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I have a temperature sensor problem! Do you find the enclosure provided usually adequate for preventing false high readings?

I have a WS3600 on the balcony of the Scottish Ski Club Hut on CairnGorm and the temperature sensor has been mounted on a post at the end of the balcony facing East (it can't get any sun from the East due to the mountain!) so it's not getting direct sunlight.

However a combo of the higher sun, deep snow on the balcony and very fresh snow all around and no wind is resulting in the sensor frying when the sun is out, currently reporting 10c - I think the extent of reflection of the snow is part of the problem, the other being that it is calm - this doesn't happen when there's a breeze.

Any ideas or advice - I could move it onto the back wall of the hut, but then the hut might warm it up. It's higher of the ground than the standard 2m, but needs to be to ensure it doesn't get buried in a snow drift!

Last hours data: http://www.winterhighland.info/weather/aws.php

Edited by skifreak