Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Final night rockpooling

Well last night yielded similar sealife to Wednesday night, but that didn't stop it from being interesting! Also, we had a little sneaky rockpool early this afternoon, and caught a nice sized rockling fish :)

Firstly, another type of chiton, different to the one we found yesterday, although it could just be a variance within the same species...

Chiton.jpg

Here is last nights 5-bearded rockling, not a bad size really. Easily identified due to it's distinctive barbels on it's head...

Rockling2.jpg

Now this crab is interesting! We thought it was a shore crab, but the orange underbelly gave us doubts. What isn't in doubt however, is that it is a female crab, and that orange spongy area are her eggs :D

FemaleCrab.jpg

You can see the abdomen curve round better on this pic...

FemaleCrab2.jpg

Next up is the Long-spined Bullhead, which was a fair size (probably around the 15cm mark) Easy to catch, because they don't really move that much :( The smaller fish is probably a young rockling, judging by it's barbels...

Bullhead.jpg

Another pic of the Bullhead, with the 5-bearded rockling in close attention...

RocklingBullhead.jpg

You can never have too many hermit crabs :D

Hermit1.jpg

Today's short visit ot the rockpools paid off nicely, with several small hermit crabs, a common blenny (or shanny), and another 5-bearded rockling caught (bigger than last nights)

Holbeck Beach with the tide coming in fast...

Scarborough.jpg

A selection of hermit crabs, different shells, all the same species of hermit crab though...

Hermits.jpg

The underside of a limpet...

Limpet.jpg

The 5-bearded rockling, new and improved! This one was approaching 15cm long...

Rockling3.jpg

All together in the tank, common blenny on the right, rockling on the left...

Alltogethernow.jpg

On the walk back up, plenty of seagulls all wanting bread :(

Seagulls3.jpg

Thanks for viewing! :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Very nice rock pool life there Sh. Scrambling over the rocky coast of Galloway last year I took a few myself, I must admit I was scared of slipping and braking myself and the camera :bomb:

Regards,

Russ