Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do you think this the last snow of winter for most of us?

shacks

Posted
  • Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria. Latitude: 54.5469; Longitude: -3.5868

Well snow wishers do you think this weekend is our last snow of this winter or not.

I always give it until the end of February before I personally give up all hope. But to tell you the truth I think it’s been to mild of a winter once again. The last white Christmas I can remember was 1970 and the last good covering of snow we had was Feb 1996.

So can anyone beat a 12-year absence of any quality snow? Just what are the best weather conditions for snow? Which way does the wind have to be coming from for good snow conditions? As I have said I live in Whitehaven Cumbria right on the coast. Dose the Irish Sea have anything to do with us not getting snow. It can be snowing in Ireland and Scotland, and Newcastle but as soon as it reaches Whitehaven it as turned to rain. Any ideas why? Also where in the England gets the most snowfall? I may consider moving there?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A few years ago we had more Snow in March than we've had in this entire Winter so far. Sorry can't call it Winter I'll call it Autumn instead. There's always a remote chance but I think this will end up one of the most Snowless winters I can remember.

No rules okay and so does Nold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
Well snow wishers do you think this weekend is our last snow of this winter or not.

I always give it until the end of February before I personally give up all hope. But to tell you the truth I think it’s been to mild of a winter once again. The last white Christmas I can remember was 1970 and the last good covering of snow we had was Feb 1996.

So can anyone beat a 12-year absence of any quality snow? Just what are the best weather conditions for snow? Which way does the wind have to be coming from for good snow conditions? As I have said I live in Whitehaven Cumbria right on the coast. Dose the Irish Sea have anything to do with us not getting snow. It can be snowing in Ireland and Scotland, and Newcastle but as soon as it reaches Whitehaven it as turned to rain. Any ideas why? Also where in the England gets the most snowfall? I may consider moving there?

frankly no...lol.. i dont think we will see snow again, well nothing thatll settle for more then a few hours. like you ive not seen a decent snowy spell since '96. ive never known a cold snowy spell in february IF there was nothing, not even a threat of something cold in december and january. i dont expect this next month will buck the trend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

nah, plenty of time yet to see snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

the best snow "events" here have always been late Jan and through Feb

Posted

Yep, I'm with you there, shacks. Always hopeful until the end of February and quite often it seems to be February that gives us the snow. Last snowfalls about the same as you, too!

But, I am as certain as I can be that Winters will return to producing the goods at some point in the not too distant future. Due to natural cycles. (But that is something for discussion in the environment threads.....all are welcome there, but bring your protective body armour with you!)

Posted

I always give it until the end of February before I personally give up all hope. But to tell you the truth I think it's been to mild of a winter once again. The last white Christmas I can remember was 1970 and the last good covering of snow we had was Feb 1996.

It all depends on what you call "quality snow". I call quality snow as snow that is more than 2 inches deep. In that case I haven't had any here in Gloucester since 1982.

Richard

Posted

I was writing down my snow memories, memories of where there was snow on the ground and enough snow to make something out of it, snowball fights, snowmen etc. -

Feb 91, Dec 93, Feb 94, Dec 95, Feb 96, Dec 96, Jan 98, Dec 99 (not 100% on this) Feb 00, Dec 00 (best of the bunch with almost a week of lying snow), Feb 02 (briefly)

There is a trend that stares you in the face - it's all December and February. It really surprised me that January hardly figures in there. Also a few of these have been in otherwise mild months, or months that have been mild in other parts of the country.

The good memories also basically stop at the end of the 90's, but here's hoping this winter will buck the trend. February certainly seems to be the month to do it!

Posted

I think it is the last snow for most of us this winter - purely because most of 'us' live south of Hardian's Wall. I fully expect Scotland and parts of Wales to still get a good dusting in places now and again over the coming month or so.

We can all live in hope though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Every year for the last 10 we always get snow on Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham. May be only for a couple of days but always get something. We had snow a few weeks ago so perhaps we have seen our snow for this winter.

I do still think there is more to come though.

Posted

I'm sure even southern England can see lying snow until about the second week of march, so thats 6 weeks, and since it is rather hard to nail the weather down past a week that gives a lot of uncertainly.

If snow makes such a big deal to people's life then move to somewhere where it snows more often!

Posted

Personally I would be surprised if that's our lot. Even last winter beats this one so far in terms of snowfall for my area.

What we need is an easterly, similar to this that we experienced back in late Feb 2005 which provided 7cm lying snow here:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00120050223.gif

Other notable snow events during Feb/March in recent winters:

8th February 1999 - chart

17th March 2001 - chart

12th March 2004 - chart

4th March 2005 - chart

3rd March 2006 - chart

8th February 2007 - chart

Posted
I'm sure even southern England can see lying snow until about the second week of march, so thats 6 weeks, and since it is rather hard to nail the weather down past a week that gives a lot of uncertainly.

If snow makes such a big deal to people's life then move to somewhere where it snows more often!

If I thought I could move to a place that got snow lying for a month or so each year and I could have the same wage packet coming in, and have the same security as we have in Cumbria. As it was announced today on the news that Cumbria is the safest place to bring up a family in the U.K I would be of in an instant. I might sound like a bit of a nerd or a namby pamby over this snow worshipping but believe me I am not I am 6 ft 2 & 215 lbs and built like a brick onions house. The thing about the snow apart from the fun I can have playing with my kids, Is that it makes everywhere look so clean and fresh. & Quiet, I cannot really tell you what it makes me feel like to see freshly laying snow everywhere. I look forward to snow as much as a kid does to Christmas. Sorry if I come across to some of you as a sad sap but I really could not give a monkeys what people think of me about me and my Snow Fetish loll

Posted

nope, i think thats it, although, we have had more this winter than last, but nothing worth mentioning.

Posted
since it is rather hard to nail the weather down past a week that gives a lot of uncertainly.

A week? If they cant predict the weather 24 hours in advanced there's no way I'm taking much notice to forecasts 1 week away. It's as if mother nature is playing with us, if you remember before this 'main event' it was looking like it was going to be an event for everywhere apart from the east. Where does the Precipitation go? The east.

:)

Posted

thinking on... it depends upon what you mean by 'the last snow of winter'... i think its quite probable that most of us will see snow in a shower or summut, but i stick by my earlier statement that we will NOT see snow lying for more then a day, if that, over most of the uk.

high ground is of course a different matter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Impossible to tell at this stage. However, in the last 5 years, 3 out of 5 of my birthdays have had snow (March 11th), with one year just missing out due to snowfall during the earlier days of March 2006 I believe? 2nd - 8th I think. I'm optimistic, I believe we will have another heavy snowfall during the second half of February. For all we know, the second half of February could be one of the biggest snow events ever recorded in the history of the United Kingdom, and Northern Scotland in particular...we just really can't tell at this stage. But let's just hope! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unlikely I'd say- even in recent years, most winters have had a bout of widespread snow in late February and/or March, indeed since 2000 I think only 2003 had practically no snow at all after the cold snap at the beginning of February that year.

Even last year, as well as the cold snap of 7-9 February, snow also fell widely on 18-20 March as well.

Posted
. I'm optimistic, I believe we will have another heavy snowfall during the second half of February. For all we know, the second half of February could be one of the biggest snow events ever recorded in the history of the United Kingdom, and Northern Scotland in particular...we just really can't tell at this stage. But let's just hope! :)

after a mild winter? that would be a first! we have never had heavy snow in feb after a mild or 'non cold', dec/jan....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can't think of any really wintry Februarys following on from a mild, largely snowless Dec/Jan, but there are many examples of mild winters followed by moderate wintry weather in February and/or March- not major, but enough to make the preceding snow event not the last of the season.

There may well not be another snow event this winter with over a day of lying snow, but then again, that's also the case for the vast majority in this event. Norwich has been one of the most favoured locations, it seems, yet I doubt that there will be much snow left by tomorrow lunchtime.