Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do you think this the last snow of winter for most of us?

shacks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

We never had a snow event in the first place. East Yorkshire and the Eastern parts of North Yorkshire got it all. :cray:

Snowy British winters will never happen until the oceans cool down.

Posted

There have been some cold wintry Februarys following on from very mild Januarys. January 1983 was very mild (6.7) and was followed by a very cold February (1.7). January 1916 was the warmest on record, and cold spells did occur in the second half of Feb and in March, and March (3.3) was considerably colder than January. 1932 had a very mild January and this was followed by a much colder February, although the downside was that the relatively cold Feb of 1932 was largely due to an anticyclonic block sat over the UK giving cold conditions at the surface rather than deep cold Arctic air. 1994 is another occasion where a mild January was followed by a colder February, although the difference was far less than in 1983. In 1975 after an exceptionally mild Dec / Jan, there were cold periods with some snow even in late March and early April.

It doesen't always work of course that February is colder after a very mild January, as was not so in 1989, 1990 and 2002.

Posted

I feel Julians (Jackone) Pain and have a sneaky suspicion that this Winter will go down as only the 2nd in the last 38 years to not see a single Snow Shower over the November to March Period!

Paul S

Posted
I feel Julians (Jackone) Pain and have a sneaky suspicion that this Winter will go down as only the 2nd in the last 38 years to not see a single Snow Shower over the November to March Period!

Paul S

yes mate, SE has come out pretty poor this year. although i have to say it actually felt like "winter" for the first time in many years here in SE London. as ever we can only wait in anticipation of the next winter been better then the last :cray:

Posted

I'm not writing winter off, but I am not holding out much hope for a decent snowfall here. Most winters I usually see a covering at some stage for a couple of days, but it doesn't look like managing that this winter.

Posted
yes mate, SE has come out pretty poor this year. although i have to say it actually felt like "winter" for the first time in many years here in SE London. as ever we can only wait in anticipation of the next winter been better then the last :cray:

Mick

It did feel pleasant out of the wind though, C London above 8c in Glorious Sunshine, just above average for the time of year.

2008/09 Cannot be any worse can it :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

If we get a decent Easterly, (even a March 06 will do) we will get a decent covering.

It snowed every night for a week in March 06.

Posted

No still March and April up here when the frequency of N and E winds is at its highest and finally the sea temperatures at their lowest ( this factor being the biggest spoiler for early and midwinter snow events nowadays) when synoptics are favourable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

No snow here today. Probably another snowy spell mid february?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I know that we are not supposed to compare winters but, although it doesn't help the rest of this winter much, I find myself a bit more hopeful for next winter. The last El-Nino /La-Nina winters were also mild and snowless but the winter that followed, certainly in my area, was very cold.February at the beginning and at the end was very snowy indeed! to the tune of 12=14ins of level snow both times but the later event was accompanied by high winds and severe drifting. I know this because I was asked to walk to work which was local for me and cover shifts for people who had been stuck all night on the dual carriageway! It may of course be pure coincidence but I suppose time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
For some reason I always get the heaviest snow in Feb/March/April (or even the second week of May).

So still plenty of time left :)

Would that be 1993 and 1995 by any chance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Would that be 1993 and 1995 by any chance?

I remember a rather snowy valentines day spent sledging, must've been 14 then so 93.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I was sat here wondering where all the snow had gone nowadays, then by pure chance I found this on the BBC "China is experiencing some of the worst snow storms in half a century, mostly in central and southern provinces. "

So thats it! They take our steel, they take our Oil, and now the ruddy snow too! :)

I've never seen snow deeper then about 3" in all my 45 years! But I do remember when I did my apprenticeship in Southampton, we had heavy snow (for there) around Easter time, which was in April. Must have ben 1980/81 ish.

I moved to Wales thinking great I'll see snow now. Huh! Milford Haven shares very similar geographical features and the same warm gulf stream as southampton!

I'm off to china....

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
If I thought I could move to a place that got snow lying for a month or so each year and I could have the same wage packet coming in, and have the same security as we have in Cumbria. As it was announced today on the news that Cumbria is the safest place to bring up a family in the U.K I would be of in an instant. I might sound like a bit of a nerd or a namby pamby over this snow worshipping but believe me I am not I am 6 ft 2 & 215 lbs and built like a brick onions house. The thing about the snow apart from the fun I can have playing with my kids, Is that it makes everywhere look so clean and fresh. & Quiet, I cannot really tell you what it makes me feel like to see freshly laying snow everywhere. I look forward to snow as much as a kid does to Christmas. Sorry if I come across to some of you as a sad sap but I really could not give a monkeys what people think of me about me and my Snow Fetish loll

Well said , i agree your sentiments exactly..

Posted

Well according to Metchecks forecast for Milford Haven ( http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp ) we are going to be at one with the universe come Sunday night with a predicted windchill of -209 !!! Now, where's that Damart catalogue!!

No doubt it will be corrected by the time anyone clicks it so here is a screenshot.

Metcheck.jpg

Posted

i certainly hope it not the last snow of winter ,as i haven't had one flake yet !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Well according to Metchecks forecast for Milford Haven ( http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp ) we are going to be at one with the universe come Sunday night with a predicted windchill of -209 !!! Now, where's that Damart catalogue!!

No doubt it will be corrected by the time anyone clicks it so here is a screenshot.

Metcheck.jpg

Blimey! I'd better get that coal fire going now then! :o

Woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Metcheck.jpg

lol i know mine is -238oC for that time

Posted

I think northern areas will probably see more snow at times during Feb and March, especially over high ground, but for the bulk of England and Wales it's probably game over for another Winter - not that the game ever started for most of us.. :o

Edited by jemtom

Posted

This thread should of been started on the 1st March as snowfall remains possible until April.

So my answer is no that isn't the last of the snow but if you had asked me on the 1st March then I would say possibly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Last snow who knows!.

March can be a good month. A couple of years ago we had the best snow of the winter in march.

Posted

well today is the third time this winter that we have had at least an inch of snow lying here so good winter so far.. and i predict a good bit more..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
lol i know mine is -238oC for that time

yep -245 for me tomorrow evening!