Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do you think this the last snow of winter for most of us?

shacks

Posted
  • Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria. Latitude: 54.5469; Longitude: -3.5868

Guess what folks a mini miracle? I got up at 4.30 am this morning to spend a penny and looked out the window we had lying snow “Everywhere” about 0.5 inch deep!

So I got the twins cold weather suits and gloves & hats and put them on radiator to warm through for morning. Guess what by 7.30 when I looked out window not a flake?

But I suppose I should feel lucky it was like the people who see the yeti. I did at least get a glimpse of it this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Hard to say for sure whether there will be any snow here this year. Gut feeling says 'no' - there seems such an inevitability about it these days.

I suppose one cannot rule out something along the lines of Feb 78 which ISTR came after a mainly mild winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Being 15 I can only really remember the "winters" of the 2000s, which all of them were pretty much dismal in terms of snow. But this year has to take the wooden spoon so far, OK I have had some form of wintry stuff in each month, but the best was an hour of very slushy snow which melted overnight. Possibly one of the most snowless winters I can remember. Although, even last winter had a lifeline, so who knows. I certainly wont be writing it off until my birthday (Feb 27th), if I haven't got a decent covering til then, then roll on summer is my opinion. April is more of a late spring month as we saw last year, and any snow that falls in the back end of March will just turn into a puddle in a glimmer of sunlight. Still a month to go yet though, we all remember what happened last year.

Posted

ive always known for the easter period to always have a cold spell. Many easters ive seen it snowing or have had snow on the ground.(except for last year) So i dont give up till after easter.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I think we will probably get one more shot,i would not be surprised if later in the month the models start showing easterlies like they did at the end of last feb and we all hoped it would happen only for our hopes to turn to dust and the same thing to happen again. ON the evening of Jan 3rd i had about 3 inches of snow.,it was gone by evening time the next day but i was very grateful to get it.

Posted

This was a great cold spell, From donegal to dublin via sligo i travelled the width of Ireland. 200 miles of driving in snow for 4 hours. Great country side veiws of snow covered mountains , the blue stacks in donegal , them huge montains just before you come into sligo, leitrim hills and valleys. Snow covered shannan basin of carrick on shannon, and into longford, athlone , mullinigar etc. Then back into dublin...only a dusting on the hills, :D

Posted

I've only had 3cm of actual lying snow this winter...and that lasted on the ground for less than a day.

Unbelievably bad how things have got...unless we get a major pattern change (unlikely) this is probably it.

Posted

Oh no, definately not, im gearing up for the March Dissapointment.......where its snows heavily, and within a few minutes, its all gone!! No seriously, I dont think its the last for many people, its only the beginning of Feb for crying out loud......im sure there will be joy, and dissapointment for many weeks to come yet :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
Oh no, definately not, im gearing up for the March Dissapointment.......where its snows heavily, and within a few minutes, its all gone!! No seriously, I dont think its the last for many people, its only the beginning of Feb for crying out loud......im sure there will be joy, and dissapointment for many weeks to come yet :D

But probably more dissapointment then joy! :D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

If Feb passes by without any lying snow here, it will be the first winter since 2001/02 without lying snow. Even the last winter which was very mild managed to muster two mornings with lying snow.

Still 27.5 days to go to get something I suppose.

Posted
I've only had 3cm of actual lying snow this winter...and that lasted on the ground for less than a day.

Unbelievably bad how things have got...unless we get a major pattern change (unlikely) this is probably it.

Indeed, this winter has been every bit as dreadful as 2006/07, as both have only managed one morning with brief covering (not measurable) that lasted until around 11am.

I hope that we will at least see something more before its too late, March 2004, 2005, 2006 and April 2005 managed snowfall, all of which surpassed this and last winter's poor efforts, so theres still chance yet.

One thing that is concerning me more this year though is the lack of air frosts. Last night managed to scrape one at -0.1C, the significant fact though is that its only the third of the entire season here!

Posted
Indeed, this winter has been every bit as dreadful as 2006/07, as both have only managed one morning with brief covering (not measurable) that lasted until around 11am.

I hope that we will at least see something more before its too late, March 2004, 2005, 2006 and April 2005 managed snowfall, all of which surpassed this and last winter's poor efforts, so theres still chance yet.

One thing that is concerning me more this year though is the lack of air frosts. Last night managed to scrape one at -0.1C, the significant fact though is that its only the third of the entire season here!

I'm sure had I been here more I'd be reflecting on how relatively (if not persistently, nor heavily) snowy it's been here, 60 miles W of you and 900' or so higher up. I think this demonstrates generally how geographically patchy our wintry weather is becoming (nationwide events are becoming non-existent), as well as how much this winter is varying by northerliness and altitude.

I'd be slightly surprised if we had no more snow before summer, but nowadays very little surprises me weather-wise.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

argh, i really do hope there are a few more chances to come! I havent even seen a single flake this winter so far :( ive never lived thru a winter here in cardiff without even seeing a single flake...

Its pretty evident that what we call 'perfect' scenarios for snowfall here in the south are simply just not enough or don't stick around for long enough anymore. Im 23 years old and i can remember guaranteed good 4-5 day spells ov very wintry weather every winter, adleast 1 or 2 snowdays a year!. I just think we're moving into the wrong side of marginal more and more every year for cold and snow. but i guess we still have 4 weeks of winter left so im keeping my fingers crossed for something!

Im moving to the north midlands soon so.....maybe a better chance of snow there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Well, the frogs seem to think it's all over. I've just found Frogspawn laid last night in my garden pond...

Thats early.

Woody

Posted
hi all do yo think it will snow in bristol?

Keep your fingers crossed mate and hope. I decided to venture 40 miles out of Whitehaven today looking for it and found it lying and snowing at Mungriesdale 8 miles from Penrith. What a beautiful site all them hills and fields covered in snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
hi all do yo think it will snow in bristol?

This year or next? :-)

Woody

Posted

potential of an easterly is still showing on the charts so i wouldnt give up untill mid april!

Posted

Do you think this the last snow of winter for most of us?

Depends whether you mean falling snow or lying snow?

I'm old enough to know how winters have deteriorated.

Winter-snow is finished, until a radical shift in habitual hemisheric synoptics occurs.

This means virtually all our snow now, is spring-snow. This is what we are left with. Spring is actually now our "snow"-season!!

It's always been there (those March and April snowfalls that you woke up to, that we gone by lunchtime in the dazzling sun) but now that's all the snow there is.

So, most of us will see snow (wet, slushy and melting). But "winter-snow", that stays for days at least, that is powdery or sqeaks as you walk, we have maybe a 3 week window, and it don't look likely!

Len

Edited by len

Posted

In a word no, it would be a very rare year indeed if we are not to record anymore snow this season. Even in mild winters a cold snap at some stage between now and april normally occurs, in 1989 and 1990 there was a cold snowy spell in april. Can anyone tell me when we have had such a year when there has been no snowfall at low levels in england from 2nd feb onwards...

In recent years February has been the month that has delivered the snow goods and for northern parts early March has also been a time where snow has featured heavily.

Northerlies and easterlies have a greater chance of occuring and sustaining themselves from now onwards particularly in late winter as the atlantic traditionally quietens down. (late feb/early march is a time when northerlies tend to feature)