Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Britains most snowless location

jy

Posted

Half fun half a serious discussion.To open proceedings i propose the county of Hampshire,in the last 17 years there have been very few instances of snow here,indeed Steve Murrs brilliant piece on the slow erosion of snow showed this area of late in white ie no recorded lying snow,this year and last year we have seen not a single flake in fact 28 1 04 last snow of any note.I am not claiming the title lol just getting the ball rolling

Posted

Surely it's the Scilly Isles?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The Isle of Wight will rank pretty high haven't seen lying snow for 3 years now and that 3 years ago was just a dusting. Last propper snow here in 95.

I bet the Scilly isles wins it hands down though :D

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I think the Isles of Scilly would win hands-down for that claim, but if you mean mainland UK, then Hants being well sheltered from the north from Nerly snow showers and also from snow showers from the east too is likely a candidate for being snowless, though some lowland coastal areas in the SW may also claim being pretty snowless and IMO more so than Hants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I personally go for Penzance- I have the 1961-90 averages for Penzance on a couple of calendars and their winters are considerably milder even than those of Southampton, or Exeter, or St Mawgan.

If I remember rightly, it's on the far south-west peninsula and thus insulated from cold by surrounding seas to the west, north and south.

Posted

Thanks for a few replies as i say Hampshires mention only a thought provoker Scilly isles and Gibralter ahead on points lol notice mention of Basingstoke which is North East of here proving that despite everything synoptically going against my area Salisbury Plain to my north nicks what little snow that heads this way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

An area from Wigan West towards the Mersey/Dee estuary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Sunny Bournemouth, not only do we have no snow, but no severe weather full stop! Wel....give or take a few years ago I suppose. ;)

Posted
Sunny Bournemouth, not only do we have no snow, but no severe weather full stop! Wel....give or take a few years ago I suppose. ;)

I'd be inclined to agree, but it did snow on the day of my driving test, 3rd Jan this year, in Bournemouth, albeit for 10mins...and they weren't the most impressive flakes, but it's some form of snow and for Bournemouth, that's impressive!

Jon

Posted
What about Gibraltar? Britain own it after all.... :lol:

Went to Gibraltar once! They had a massive Hail Storm! All the locals were shouting!

"Its Snowing,its Snowing!" How many more years until we get like that here ;);)

Posted
Surely it's the Scilly Isles?

Statistically I suspect you're right there Shuggs. However, WE all know it's Abingdon.

Went to Gibraltar once! They had a massive Hail Storm! All the locals were shouting!

"Its Snowing,its Snowing!" How many more years until we get like that here :lol: ;)

Err, I think we already are actually.

I personally go for Penzance- I have the 1961-90 averages for Penzance on a couple of calendars and their winters are considerably milder even than those of Southampton, or Exeter, or St Mawgan.

If I remember rightly, it's on the far south-west peninsula and thus insulated from cold by surrounding seas to the west, north and south.

From a mainland perspective that too would seem very logical.

Posted

I wonder does snow actually stick on Rockall, with all that sea spray. I bet there are no pictures of snow on Rockall ;)

Posted

;) That was quick, yip sure looks like snow to me and not bird Pooh. I thought I had it there ;)

Looks like the Scots radio hams are there too :lol:

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Somerset, most definitely snow free capital of UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Has to be Haverhill in Suffolk. Im considering booking a holiday to Greece early next year with family so I can show my son some snow ;)

Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Isles of Scilly or Penzance...either one. I think it's a nice reflection that although the UK has a climate which is largely the same in all parts, there is a massive difference at times between say Penzanze and Braemar!