Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Britains most snowless location

jy

Posted

I would have thought the south coast of England from Brighton westwards. Even in a very snowy month such as December 1981, they saw no lying snow under Met Office rules.

The coastal resorts of Cornwall and Devon have their moments but they are pretty rare.

Posted
Half fun half a serious discussion.To open proceedings i propose the county of Hampshire,in the last 17 years there have been very few instances of snow here,indeed Steve Murrs brilliant piece on the slow erosion of snow showed this area of late in white ie no recorded lying snow,this year and last year we have seen not a single flake in fact 28 1 04 last snow of any note.I am not claiming the title lol just getting the ball rolling

Correct that was an inch or 2 wasnt it in the thudner snow event. Daniel and me had only been living together for 5 months and we were packing to move again! I remember battling through the snow to the car with all these boxes. Ah memories!!Loved it! Took us 30mins to do a 5min journey slipping everywhere.

I live in basingstoke, Hampshire and last year I had two days of lying snow, this year I have not seen a single flake.

You did! I travelled up by train to see it as someone on the board had said there was a couple of inches. By the time I got there it was nearly melted and just a sprinkling :lol:

Went to Gibraltar once! They had a massive Hail Storm! All the locals were shouting!

"Its Snowing,its Snowing!" How many more years until we get like that here B) B)

-5?

I would have thought the south coast of England from Brighton westwards. Even in a very snowy month such as December 1981, they saw no lying snow under Met Office rules.

1) When was the last time Hants had lying snow and

2) What are the official rules?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty clear and cold in winter (with periods of lying/falling snow).

Well I live in Penzance and haven't seen a frost let alone snow all winter. Last frost I remember was just before xmas 06.

Lasting dusting of snow we had was late Nov 05 (when all the cars got stuck on Bodmin moor) and that literally was gone within the hour.

So I offer up Penzance as the most snowless place :doh:

Posted
Well I live in Penzance and haven't seen a frost let alone snow all winter. Last frost I remember was just before xmas 06.

Lasting dusting of snow we had was late Nov 05 (when all the cars got stuck on Bodmin moor) and that literally was gone within the hour.

So I offer up Penzance as the most snowless place :doh:

Interesting but does Penzance have above average summer temps..........just curious?

What about Guernsey? I think the record low temp was around -2.Usually never has a frost!

Posted

So,a few more contenders,but Penzance and the Scilly Isles appear the logical choices,personally i put Jethros Somerset in the same Titanic ship as Hampshire maybe wrong but as i see it.

It seems to me that you can almost slice the country in about 4 bits,the South which now struggles for snow,south midlands to say the Humber,which gets occasional snow but at least once or twice a winter,there to the borders a little betyter then finally Scotland,please dont shoot me down in flames im sure innacuracies abound lol what do you think

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
rockall-republic2.JPG

I think you will find snow on their mate?

Blimey the Sea Gulls have been on the local Curry. Look what they done to that rock ma.

Posted

South coast seems to be a popular choice but during a cold easterly, if the Scandi high sinks further south into mainland Europe that can draw up come cold south or south-easterly winds which can bring heavy snow to the south coast as it picks up moisture from a warm English channel. I remember watching a Southampton v Liverpool match on Sky from the mid 90's and there was lying snow on the pitch from the showers from a similar setup to the one I've just described.

Posted

As others have said Penzance and isles of Scilly doubtless the winners here. In division 2 I suggest:

1. all other low lying areas of sw England (at boarding school in west Somerset in the mid 1970s I can recall snow cover only once from 1973/4 to 1976/8. However every dog has its day and in February 1978 we were struck by a famous blizzard with up to 2' of level snow...);

2. Low lying land in south Lancs, Wirral and Cheshire;

3. Low lying land in counties to the south west of London, i.e. Hampshire, Berkshire, west Surrey (at Byfleet (near Woking) I doubt that there were more than 2 snowfalls of 2" between January 1982 and February 1991).

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

How about Guernsey? I'm not sure if it's a British island or not, but i'm pretty sure it is.

If you was talking mainland Britain i'd say probably somewhere like Penzance which is right near the fairly warm sea waters of the south-west and it's very rare they would get snow down there i'd imagine.

I often moan about how I don't see much snow in the Midlands but I get loads compared to places like Penzance!

Posted
How about Guernsey? I'm not sure if it's a British island or not, but i'm pretty sure it is.

Guernsey (as with Jersey and the Isle of Man) is, of course, not part of the UK but is a 'Crown Dependency'. It is however part of the 'British Islands': "“British Islands” means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man" [interpretation Act 1978 Schedule 1].

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Definitely Scilly Isles!

Posted

If you was talking mainland Britain i'd say probably somewhere like Penzance which is right near the fairly warm sea waters of the south-west and it's very rare they would get snow down there i'd imagine.

I often moan about how I don't see much snow in the Midlands but I get loads compared to places like Penzance!

Guernsey is a Crown Dependancy, it is not part of the United Kingdom, its mainly self-governing (along with Jeresy and the other inhabited islands in the group, Alderney, Sark etc) although I believe Acts of Parliament can be stated to specifically affect the Channel Islands so they are not fully self-governing like (say) Canada, Australia and NZ were prior to the Westminster Act of (I think) 1932. (ACB I see has beaten me to that!)

Anywhere in a triangle at sea level with Brighton, Lands End and Winchetser as its 'points' I'd say

For Snowiest locations at or around Sea Level (in the South - so a line from the Severn to the Wash) - probably somewhere in Norfolk, specifically just around the NE corner - susceptible to getting 'clipped' by NW and NNW and prime location for Northerlies, Nor Easters and Easterlies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

According to data from Manley, and the following statistics relate to the period 1912-1949 which, apart from the latter few years, was one of predominantly mild winters a selection of the places with the least number of days with lying snow per year on average are;

Falmouth..... 0.5

Torquay........1.3

Eastbourne....2.1

Cullompton....4.5

Kew...............4.0

I can't find any averages for snow lying at Scilly but between 1956 and 1970 the average annual number of days with sleet or snow falling was 5.2; a remarkably low number bearing in mind it's a coastguard station with a 24 hour a day watch.

Averages of sleet/snow falling at some other places in the south between 1956 and 1970 are;

Plymouth.....14.5

St Mawgan...11.1

Exeter.........13.9

Jersey..........7.4

Cardiff..........8.0

Posted

I guess it just depends on whether you're talking counties/towns or villages. Some parts of Dorset do OK. But in Poole - Apart from the famous 'thunder snow' event of a few years ago, I haven't seen lying snow here since 1984. Sure, we've had the odd flake flurry down and a mere ultra light dusting (which is normally mistaken for frost) but nothing more. There have been times when I've been surrounded by snow, I've seen it on the Purbeck Hills in the distance, driven through it in the New Forest and been told that Salisbury Plain is covered. But here none, not a sausage. Odd.

Posted

I have to put in another vote for Hampshire - even the thundersnow was no more than an inch. Apart from that I think its 1996 when we had 2" which had all gone in 24 hours.

I remember the late 70's and early 80's there would be more than this several times a year. On the plus side we get the best weather when theres a northerly or north easterly in the summer

Posted
According to data from Manley, and the following statistics relate to the period 1912-1949 which, apart from the latter few years, was one of predominantly mild winters a selection of the places with the least number of days with lying snow per year on average are;

Falmouth..... 0.5

Torquay........1.3

Eastbourne....2.1

Cullompton....4.5

Kew...............4.0

I can't find any averages for snow lying at Scilly but between 1956 and 1970 the average annual number of days with sleet or snow falling was 5.2; a remarkably low number bearing in mind it's a coastguard station with a 24 hour a day watch.

Averages of sleet/snow falling at some other places in the south between 1956 and 1970 are;

Plymouth.....14.5

St Mawgan...11.1

Exeter.........13.9

Jersey..........7.4

Cardiff..........8.0

Thanks TM for the data.

1. The data for lying snow suggest that, even by the standards of earlier periods of winter mildness, the last 20 years have been notably snowless in the south.

2. The sleet/snow data show that high winter precipitation is at least as (if not more) important than relative cold.

I wonder where the most snowless areas are in Scotland, Wales and NI?

My guesses:

1.Scotland

south Dumfries

west coastal lowlands from Stranraer to Oban

Inner Hebrides from Arran to Tiree

2. Wales

Pembrokeshire

coastal lowlands at the far north of Cardigan Bay

3. Northern Ireland

north west coastal lowlands of Co. Londonderry from Londonderry to Limavady (sheltered from nw or northerlies by Inishowen).

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think Valley (Anglesey) is also a pretty snowless location judging by Weather Log. In fact, I can't remember a recent winter when snow cover at 0900 was reported there, except for February 1999 (1 day) and December 2000 (3 days).

Further back there was some lying snow there in February 1994, March 1995, February 1996. But very rare, and seemingly about as rare as at St Mawgan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well most snowless City must either be Plymouth or St Davids.

Given I left Plymouth from 2003-2006 the last major snow event here was either 1986/1987 during the snap of hard Easterly's. There was some snow during 1995 but that was the last "major gridlock" in Plymouth.

Correct that was an inch or 2 wasnt it in the thudner snow event. Daniel and me had only been living together for 5 months and we were packing to move again! I remember battling through the snow to the car with all these boxes. Ah memories!!Loved it! Took us 30mins to do a 5min journey slipping everywhere.

You did! I travelled up by train to see it as someone on the board had said there was a couple of inches. By the time I got there it was nearly melted and just a sprinkling :lol:

-5?

1) When was the last time Hants had lying snow and

2) What are the official rules?

My part of Hampshire had lying snow twice last winter.

Posted
My part of Hampshire had lying snow twice last winter.

Im just on the border of Hants/Surrey and I cant remember a single winter from when we moved here in 2001 that hasnt had lying snow on at least one day.

Thats except for this winter of course. Had a dusting on 4th Jan, and thats it. :lol:

Posted
Guernsey (as with Jersey and the Isle of Man) is, of course, not part of the UK but is a 'Crown Dependency'. It is however part of the 'British Islands': "“British Islands” means the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man" [interpretation Act 1978 Schedule 1].

regards

ACB

Geographically the British Isles is made of mainland UK, Ireland (north and south), The Channel Islands, The Isle of Man, Shetland, Orkney, the Hebrides and everything in between.

I would plump for Jersey as the most snowless, being furtherest south.

Posted
Went to Gibraltar once! They had a massive Hail Storm! All the locals were shouting!

"Its Snowing,its Snowing!" How many more years until we get like that here :lol: :lol:

None, we're there already across much of the south... :lol:

Posted
Geographically the British Isles is made of mainland UK, Ireland (north and south), The Channel Islands, The Isle of Man, Shetland, Orkney, the Hebrides and everything in between.

I would plump for Jersey as the most snowless, being furtherest south.

I am not sure about that. In the days we used to see easterlies Jersey sometimes saw the lowest temps and lying snow due to its proximity to the cold continent and the short sea track involved. I'd go for the the Scilly Isles or maybe Bude :lol:

Edited by Kentish Man

Posted
My guesses:

1.Scotland

south Dumfries

west coastal lowlands from Stranraer to Oban

Inner Hebrides from Arran to Tiree

cant disagree with inner Hebrides for Scotland due to the gulf stream