Cold?
IGNORED

Wot no Frogs?

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Normally they're stirring at this time of year but there's no sign of any at all. Could well be that I haven't managed a single baby Frog in the last two years as all the tadpoles have disappeared soon after hatching. Two different ponds one with fish the other hasn't and they vanish very rapidly within weeks of hatching. No sign of them in the filters no dead ones floating around just gone.

Anyone else got Frogs stirring in Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not in yorkshire, but just spotted the first frogspawn this morning in Kent. The frogs have been active for a couple of weeks.

Posted

not yet, the average date for the first signs of activity in my ponds is the first week in March. In fact for 4 consecutive years it was 8 March regardless of the weather over the preceding week.

Posted
not yet, the average date for the first signs of activity in my ponds is the first week in March. In fact for 4 consecutive years it was 8 March regardless of the weather over the preceding week.

We've got Marsh frogs and you can normally see them moving around on the bottom anyway during winter. This due to the fish disturbing them. Normally it's the 2nd week of Feb that first show desire to start mating which is easy to spot by the commotion in the water plus the croaking. Being warmer than normal it should have got some movement going but zippo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I hadn't thought there were any stirring in my own garden

as yet, but I've just found one in my greenhouse sitting

in a water-logged flowerpot, lol.

Now I'm wondering what to do with him as the wildlife pond

is iced over. Eeek.

Guess I'll wait for it to thaw and pop him out.

BL

Posted

since I emptied the small pond and threw the 8 or 9 frogs from there in the main pond it seems to have come to life!

I'm not sure whether its frogs deciding to do what they usually do or the new and old residents fighting for territory.

Posted
since I emptied the small pond and threw the 8 or 9 frogs from there in the main pond it seems to have come to life!

I'm not sure whether its frogs deciding to do what they usually do or the new and old residents fighting for territory.

I found and accidently kicked out one frog I found from a fake flower that the previous owners had put in our garden! I then put it back being sentimental so that he could climb back in. That was in Novemeber. Not seen him since. We will be putting a pond into our new garden this year. What is the best time to do so? Until that was done I was thinking of putting a small trug into the ground with some stones in so that "little people" can get in and out should they want to. Does that sound a good idea?

Posted
I found and accidently kicked out one frog I found from a fake flower that the previous owners had put in our garden! I then put it back being sentimental so that he could climb back in. That was in Novemeber. Not seen him since. We will be putting a pond into our new garden this year. What is the best time to do so? Until that was done I was thinking of putting a small trug into the ground with some stones in so that "little people" can get in and out should they want to. Does that sound a good idea?

Good for you! We lose about 1000 old ponds in this country every year! The best time really is in the spring, autumn or winter although it doesn't really matter. If you go for the summer you may have a problem with algae but to be honest this can happen any time the weather warms up. I did mine in the late spring and the frogs moved in within a day! If your quick you may get some spawn this year. The most important thing is to fill it with lots of plants, aim to have half the pond weedy at least when the plants are fully grown, this will curb the algae problem. Try to use native pond plants, a good water garden centre will be able to advise you or contact your local pond warden for advice (I was one but didn't have the time to keep it up) Also avoid full sun. part shade is better.

Lastly if you want frogs and other wildlife it's best to avoid puting fish in it, they will eat all the wildlife.

Yes, a trug will provide a nice little habitat for a wide range of wildlife plus it will privide fresh drinking water to birds and passing beasties. As a bonus you can 'seed' your new pond with the contents of the trug to give it a head start.

Posted

Hey fabulous! Gosh that is a lot of ponds!I want a wee cascade as well. Hmmm we do want a few fish though. Thinking of sticking it in in April/May/Juneish time. Our garden faces north and half of it will be covered by shade any way. Which are the best algae fighting plants? Is oxygen weed necessary? Oh and is preform or rubber best?

Right I shall dig a hole for the trug soon :lol: (I got the idea from seeing it full of water sitting on the patio!)

Posted
Hey fabulous! Gosh that is a lot of ponds!I want a wee cascade as well. Hmmm we do want a few fish though. Thinking of sticking it in in April/May/Juneish time. Our garden faces north and half of it will be covered by shade any way. Which are the best algae fighting plants? Is oxygen weed necessary? Oh and is preform or rubber best?

Right I shall dig a hole for the trug soon :D (I got the idea from seeing it full of water sitting on the patio!)

I can understand you wanting fish. I felt the same, but it really is a stark choice between a wildlife pond and a fish pond. The two don't mix too well unless the pond is very large, then there is generally room for all. To bring this back slightly on topic :lol: the frogs would appreciate the absence of fish in the pond to eat their babies!

In the end I went for a fishtank in my house and a wildlife pond in the garden. I can see the fish better in the house anyway! But the choice is yours to make...

Re- Weed and Algae:

A mix of oxygenating (the frilly ones) and shade producing plants (waterlilies) is generally best. The oxygenating plants will grow fast and compete with the algae for nutrients in the water and the shade giving plants will deprive the algae of light. Most importantly try not to introduce much soil into the pond and use only soil with a low nutrient content (available at garden centres) to plant your plants. Regularly removing excess weed growth from the pond will, over time, naturally reduce the level of nutrients in the pond water.

Re- Pond liners:

Both pre molded plastic and flexable liners have there place. But in my experience the Flexable butyle liners are easier to lay and dig a hole for than the pre molds however they are easier to punture. Go for the most expensive butyle liner you can afford and inspect the hole for sharp stones, use a suitably thick underlay to protect the rubber.

Phew!

Oh my God I'm a POND GEEK! :lol:

Posted

Actually saw a small frog today no sign of any other.

Also nice to see a lack of Blanket weed that has been a real pain in one pond despite tons of oxygenating weed and a Water Lilly. Normally it starts growing this time of year which has another problem of cutting out the light to the other weed and Lilly. So it was a case of raking it off constantly. In the end I had to use chemicals to reduce the damn stuff otherwise it would have just ended up one green slimey mass.

Posted

what was the chemical? I had the same trouble last year far worse than other years.

Posted

Yes, we've had to change to having a wildlife only pond and

a separate raised fish pond.

I suspected the incoming amphibians were introducing disease.

I've also witnessed randy frogs grabbing the goldfish which has

sadly led to some losses.

B. x

Posted

Right I shall dig a hole for the trug soon :D (I got the idea from seeing it full of water sitting on the patio!)

Line the sides with a good layer of soft sand as well as the underlay. It will help stop holes for longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We installed our pondlet last year (to get the bloomin' tadpoles out of the bedroom) and for all of us it's proved a boon. Most summer mornings Jamie forgot the TV and headed straight for the pond. No sign of life out there yet but we had a few casualties to overwinter so we have a frog (Great Queen Greenbelly) a toad (Luigi) and norbert the newt in a large tank upstairs. The toad and newt were injured (now healed) and the frog just came into our house in late october and just stared at us (very freaky really) so we gave her lodgings over winter. None have even attempted hibernating and are doing very well on mealy worms ,black crickets and locusts. It has also kept Jamie's interests in all things wild serviced (as if the cats ,dog ,snake,gheko weren't enough!).

http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/

If you check out the UK phenology site (above) you can see the plots of the early spawn and watch it spread north through the spring.

Saw my first bumble bee of the year yesterday too!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
I've also witnessed randy frogs grabbing the goldfish which has

sadly led to some losses.

B. x

Well I think that persuaded me to change my mind!! We were thinking preform would be better although more expensive. But I was wondering what our "expert" Thought or knew from experience B)

Oh yes we could get lots of sand. Also we have an old carpet from the bedroom we could cut up and use ontop/underneath that aswell!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Well I think that persuaded me to change my mind!! We were thinking preform would be better although more expensive. But I was wondering what our "expert" Thought or knew from experience :)

Oh yes we could get lots of sand. Also we have an old carpet from the bedroom we could cut up and use ontop/underneath that aswell!

Sorry it's taken so long to reply! Only just remembered about this thread as I've been away for a few days and when I came back my pond is absolutely heaving with frogs. The milder weather has brought a frenzy of activity! I reckon there are about twenty clumps of frogspawn now.

Anyway, liner or Preform. In my experience the preform is harder to dig. You have to dig the hole to the same shape as the liner, not as easy as it looks but if your handy with a tape measure and take your time then it's fine. Some of the plastic liners look a bit fragile to me, getting the support all the way around the bottom and sides of the liner is essential as they are prone to cracking. On the other hand the flexable liners are very easy to lay and being flexable they are quite forgiving.

I use of sand is excellent advice, ideally you would couple this with a cushioning underlay as well but avoid old bits of carpet as overtime it will rot and expose the risk of sharp stones penetrating the liner.

How much liner do you need?

To work out the length the pond liner needs to be - add the maximum length to twice the maximum depth and add 60 cm (2ft).

To work out the width - add the maximum width to twice the maximum depth and add 60 cm (2ft).

Good luck with it all. If you need any more advice just let me know or PM me!

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

Frogs have now turned up. Later than normally but arrived as soon as the frost stopped. Also to mention so has the blanket weed.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Yes, I saw one in my wild pond today.

I thought he was quick off the mark after several days

of thick ice.

Pleased to say all my goldfish have come up to the

surface ok today in their pond too.

BL. x

Posted
Yes, I saw one in my wild pond today.

I thought he was quick off the mark after several days

of thick ice.

Pleased to say all my goldfish have come up to the

surface ok today in their pond too.

BL. x

Well these mail frogs know how to be randy. Good job humans aren't like frogs. No work for a few weeks then another months rest to get over the excitement.

Posted
Well these mail frogs know how to be randy. Good job humans aren't like frogs. No work for a few weeks then another months rest to get over the excitement.

:clap: LoL. Aye, as I mentioned earlier, so randy they even mistake

goldfish for their true mates on occasion, eek.

We have to take most of the spawn to other locations each year so

as not to be over-run with froglets.

BL x

Posted
:blush: LoL. Aye, as I mentioned earlier, so randy they even mistake

goldfish for their true mates on occasion, eek.

We have to take most of the spawn to other locations each year so

as not to be over-run with froglets.

BL x

I know it's tempting but it really is best to leave frogspawn where it is.

Have a read of this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well luckily for me I seem to get away with fish and frogs in my pond. The frogs spawn in the pond planters which are in shallow water and the fish are now too big to get to the spawn without being beached :blush: . Haven't seen a frog yet this year but usually we get quite a few frogs in the pond and they manage to successfully spawn each year despite there being 30 fish in the pond. (This number may go up this year as I have two pregnant Orfe it seems, they seem to have come into season a little early!)

Posted
I know it's tempting but it really is best to leave frogspawn where it is.

Have a read of this.

Aye, I thought someone would say this, especially re. disease spread.

I have left all the spawn for years, but we do seem to get too many to adult size and

we've become more and more built up around my garden unfortunately.

It's not nice to see the bigger frogs go off in search of other ponds only

to meet with disaster.

I've relocated spawn to new, but established wildlife ponds elsewhere in

the village, trying to do the best all round.

I do take your point from the article though.

Cheers,

BL.