Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Blossom? On trees?

Posted

In February??? This is what I saw on many a tree in Cambridge yesterday during our trip up there. I couldn't believe my eyes!!!!! Thats not meant to be out til May! What is happening? (Anyone who says global warming will be shot! LOL)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

our neighbours tree has been in blossom since last week of january..not unusual to see blossom in feb in this part of the world..esp during recent winters.

Posted

Took the scenic route home from an early morning meeting in Hampshire & went over Watership Down - stunning !! Also noticed a few trees in early blossom, probably Blackthorn looking at the shape.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Blossoming trees in february isn't entirely out of the ordinary in February here, I've seen flowering trees in January before to be honest. However these are a bit more out of the ordinary....

Photo-0011-1.jpg

Photo-0025-1.jpg

Photo-0015-2.jpg

Photo-0029.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Here in Tamworth some trees have had blossom on them since the last week of Jan! I have lived here most of my life and have never seen them out so early before!

Posted

Everything is in blossom here, including the Rhodedendrons, which even by recent standards is quite ridiculous.

Things were already at least a month advanced this time last week, but 6 days of unbroken sunshine have warmed the soil significantly and brought everything on even more.

I'm expecting the plumb and apple trees to have ripe fruit by May at this rate... :lol:

Edited by jemtom

Posted

As i do gardening for a living i always get a bit nervous between now and April.So many shrubs and fruittrees ect can get written off in bad frost camelias magnolias in particular are vunerable and its more ironic when you consider in general terms how mild its been

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I've got what I think are daffoldils growing in my garden.....mind you, I'm no gardener, they could be stinging nettles for all I know :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Everything is in blossom here, including the Rhodedendrons, which even by recent standards is quite ridiculous.

Things were already at least a month advanced this time last week, but 6 days of unbroken sunshine have warmed the soil significantly and brought everything on even more.

I'm expecting the plumb and apple trees to have ripe fruit by May at this rate... :good:

yes Rhododendrons are also flowering here too, but theyre a weed. :nonono:

I saw a new Fuschia the other day too, just one mind.

Posted

There were lots of flowering cherries out in Sarf London (interestingly not in Norf London) earlier in the week, although I can't say that this is unexpected as there are many species of flowering cherries that are meant to be out by now (mad fools). But, although I haven't got around to taking a camera along to prove it, there does appear to be a kniphofia (aka red-hot poker) out in one of the council beds a wee way away from here, and February is about 4 months early for them, and it's still stupidly early for a bedding plant.

Posted
There are quite a few species which are designed to flower in the winter. They're called winter-flowering trees/shrubs.

There are very limited number of flowering shrubs/trees in winter around the UK. There are a few I can think of but don't know the name of. One of the most well known is Western Gorse which is now naturalised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Blossom on the trees, this early is generally a bad sign for the weeks ahead. Its often referred to "blossom winter" in these parts and more often than not its a sign of an upcoming cold spell! :o But please dont hold me to that! :lol: As far as I can remember the first sight of Blossom on the trees in this area was the end of January 1990 ......I will have to verify that.... :good:

Posted
Saw plenty this weekend, all confined to Damson/Plum trees. Maybe a good early crop on the cards, I can get the Gin going early then :D:D

Yep!! Our cherry plum has decided its time to get on with flowering for 2008

gallery_6667_459_687630.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Same here, there was a little bit of blossom on the cherry plum over the past few days but the frost has hit it back and the blossoming has stopped for now.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

19th Feb - that was quite late for blossoming, it's been out here since mid-January!

Everythings out now including the leaves, flowers and the kitchen sink.

I would go around taking pics but I don't have the time unfortunately :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

The cherry plum tree is now in full blossom (it's managed to look pretty good despite the recent frosts) but no signs of leaves yet here. Well, alder has leaves on it but that's entirely normal as they usually start bud bursting around December here.

Posted
The cherry plum tree is now in full blossom (it's managed to look pretty good despite the recent frosts) but no signs of leaves yet here. Well, alder has leaves on it but that's entirely normal as they usually start bud bursting around December here.

I'm going to take a walk through Liverpool and see if I can spot any thing leafing, and take some photos, although I wont be able to process them til Sunday/Monday. An 8 mile walk ahead :)