Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First 70f/21c of the year?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
Actually there's an outside chance on Thursday or Friday this week. Unlikely it's true, but those two days could throw up some real warmth in favoured spots. 65C (18C) certainly likely, and it may well push closer towards 70F somewhere.

Then it looks like all downhill from there with the northerly retrogressing high and easterlies / north-easterlies. Why oh why didn't it do this three months ago, instead of this complete waste of time?

Agree entirely on all counts even more so after your edit.

I don't expect 21ºC to be reached until last week of April/ first week of May.

I guess these are the synoptic situations that you thought/hoped for that we were going to get in winter back last November!

Posted
I guess these are the synoptic situations that you thought/hoped for that we were going to get in winter back last November!

Yes indeed! I really did think this was what we were heading for after that super-blocked autumn. This is like a kick in the teeth: potentially two blocked seasons full of potential with some real easterly / north-easterly outbursts and in the middle, when you really want it, a bog awful winter. Makes you weep doesn't it?!!!!

Posted

I was starting to get mildly excited about my prediction of April 3, but realistically it looks like it's going to be a near miss. Still perhaps an outside chance...

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
I was starting to get mildly excited about my prediction of April 3, but realistically it looks like it's going to be a near miss. Still perhaps an outside chance...

Not going to be a million miles away I have to say. I reckon Thurs or Fri should just about see somewhere touching 19C and maybe, just maybe, a notch or so higher in some favoured spot.

Posted

Will be nice to see 20oC reached this week. Not too early, not too late for that kind of temperature.

Certainly a different contract to last Aprils warmth in the running .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If we miss it this week there seems to be some serious heat building in the east of europe the following week (seeing as it never got that cold over most of eurasia this winter then maybe they will have an early start to the high temps and bring us the type of easterly TIETs would loathe!!!). I feel that the second week in April will be warming us up to the magic figure.

That said it'd be nice, now the kids are back at school, for a bit of early heat this week..........

Posted

I seem to remember a brief discussion this time last year where there was some excitement about the prospect of a cold easterly, then the projection turned slightly to the south of east - and we know what happened next. Could the second half of April 2008 be a repeat of 2007 perhaps?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just goes to show how fickle the UK's weather can be, Stargazer calls April 3rd and looking like a near miss, as

Jack Wales calls for the 5th just 2 days later and we'll be lucky to make double figures.!!

Looking like snowmaidens will come out on top now.

Posted

With a 17C notched up by lunchtime today over the next couple of days, we may not be a million miles away from 21C. Strictly speaking 21C is 69.8F.

My guess is that a 19C is pretty likely, and maybe just maybe approaching a 20C ... so that close means it is not entirely impossible. Would be very early if so, although the record for the earliest 21C goes to 08th March 1929 at Colwyn Bay I believe. Before AGW? Surely not!

Edited by La Nina

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
With a 17C notched up by lunchtime today over the next couple of days we may not be a million miles away from 21C. Strictly speaking 21C is 69.8F.

My guess is that a 19C is pretty likely, and maybe just maybe approaching a 20C ... so that close means it is not entirely impossible. Would be very early if so, although the record for the earliest 21C goes to 08th March 1929 at Colwyn Bay I believe. Before AGW? Surely not!

Now come on Richard, surely 1 instance of 21C had no bearing on any type of AGW *trends* whether it exists or not, be it tongue in cheek or not. B)

Posted

Hope it gets warm here tommorow and going to Drayton Manor on Friday so hopefully it wont be cloudy.

Today is awful weather though, grey skies, boring, 11.5c.

Posted

I'm still confident of somewhere reaching 20C before the week is out. 21C is a bit of a long shot, but don't rule it out! B)

Posted
Now come on Richard, surely 1 instance of 21C had no bearing on any type of AGW *trends* whether it exists or not, be it tongue in cheek or not. B)

It was very very very tongue in cheek Stephen!

On the other hand, it is interesting how minima and maxima in particular are latched onto as 'signs' of warming or cooling, and I think the fact that we've had extra-ordinary temperatures at many times in history should encourage us to focus mainly on mean temperatures over as long a period of time as possible, and preferably over as wide an area as possible.

Posted

Looks like I picked the warmest day of the year so far (the BBC web site quotes 18.9 as the maximum), but it didn't quite get to the magic figure. A tiny chance perhaps of reaching 21 somewhere in the south today, but realistically I'd say we're heading for a maximum of 19-20 today and are unlikely to get there before late April now.

Posted
I think the fact that we've had extra-ordinary temperatures at many times in history should encourage us to focus mainly on mean temperatures over as long a period of time as possible, and preferably over as wide an area as possible.

Simple, but true, IMO. I am reminded of a 16C sunny day in February where someone posted about "how we are witnessing an unprecedented change in our climate". Based on what evidence? Well, nothing. Just pure emotion :) (Frankly I think that getting carried away during that warm spell is pretty much understandable).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Yep there is certainly a chance tomorrow though that depends on the speed of the frontal clearence tomorrow morning, probably a better chance on Friday though I do note that upper profiles are if anything a touch lower then todays.

If I had to bet it would probably be Saturday, the beeb go a max of 20C however much will depend on whether the breakdown is as slow as progged by the UKMO, the GFS looks a little quicker but even then 21C would be possible in the SE I'd have thought.

Posted

Slightly surprised this thread hasn't seen more activity today. So looks like 21C well and truly knocked off, with 21's widely reported, and a high of 22C I think at Lakenheath. Not record breaking for April, but not bad at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This maybe off the topic slightly but what was the highest temperature last April and where was it recorded?

Posted
This maybe off the topic slightly but what was the highest temperature last April and where was it recorded?

26.5C at Herstmonceux on the 15th

Posted
Slightly surprised this thread hasn't seen more activity today. So looks like 21C well and truly knocked off, with 21's widely reported, and a high of 22C I think at Lakenheath. Not record breaking for April, but not bad at all!

Indeed, some nice maximums recorded today in East Anglia with widespread 21C:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=daily;type=maxt