Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Reports 19th Feb

Essan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Still very foggy and cold currently -3.6c in rural Northants if his snow is from fog will it be Snog hopefully I will get some snogging soon

Posted

Looks like Snow Reports 19th Feb

lookslikesnow3.jpg

seems very localized. What I saw was very small ice crystals in the air but reports of flakes mixed in... I did not see any. While driving it looked like fine rain... but was well below freezing.

lookslikesnow4.jpg

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted
Reports of snow at meadowhall in Sheffield. But news has said that it is ice in the fog that is producing alot. Not snow peeps sorry!

A lesson in not believing everything you hear on the news!

Posted

Well if it looks like snow on the ground and it gives people the effect of winter weather then I think thats fine - whatever you call it. :o

Nice picture folks, glad you had something that looked like winter

Posted

Well I'm certainly no expert but it looked very much like snow flakes falling to me. Even managed to make a snow ball. Some Pics.... Looked nice whatever it was.

post-4609-1203417187_thumb.jpg

post-4609-1203417341_thumb.jpg

post-4609-1203417551_thumb.jpg

Edited by chewy2

Posted

the third photo certainly looks like snow flakes and not grains.

Never seen it like that from fog I have to admit but the evidence is there, possibly some cloud above the fog may have helped 'seed' flakes from grains.

interesting to say the least.

several others have said flakes and not grains.

a quick look again at the 00z upper air ascents and none shows any cloud above the fog, so yet another time for me to say, no idea beyond what I've said above!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
At a guess, I would say it is ppn forming (somehow) from the fog. The sat image used on GMTV (Ok, not the most reliable source), showed no clouds in the sky, which would indicate that ppn from fog is the cause.

Therefore, again at a guess, if it is ppn that is forming, and falling as in the above reports, it is snow?

If it was to do with the visuals of the fog itself (rather than ppn), I wonder what the ppn is showing on the METO radar?

Again, I can only guess that it is snow (or wintry ppn) rather than any sort of condensating fog.

I remember light snow flurries in Leeds in the anticyclonic spell at the beginning of February 2006, which was formed from low cloud trapped within the anticyclone. Strange stuff. Today's looks to me like a larger-scale version of that.

Posted
Well I'm certainly no expert but it looked very much like snow flakes falling to me. Even managed to make a snow ball. Some Pics.... Looked nice whatever it was.

post-4609-1203417187_thumb.jpg

post-4609-1203417341_thumb.jpg

post-4609-1203417551_thumb.jpg

I cannot beleive your Pics..... I was totally against it being snow this morning and was going for a rime frost... But looking at your Pics that would pass as SNOW for me anyday.....

It looks like about 1cm and as for the third pic, that definatley isnt grains that looks like good and proper flakes to me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

snowing very lightly here now, mum woke me up this morning saying theres been a covering of snow, i laughed and went bk to bed n just woke up now n realized she was beng serious, nice surprise :o

Posted

There is allot of rime frost about, making some areas look like snow, but also snow grains and ice crystals in the air, which seem to have developed into snow flakes in a few localized areas. I also saw what seemed like freezing rail / drizzle.

Posted

Been snowing here in kidderminster too. There were definate flakes in what was coming down.

The sky is clearing and the ice is thick enough on my pond for my maine coon cat to walk across. :o will put up pics soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

2cm on the ground here in King's Lynn - and still below freezing - definitely snow and not rime or hoar frost - there's enough to make a soft snowball. First snow here for two years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It is not snow. It is frozen water particals and because of the freezing fog aswell it has created the very wintry scence.

I saw it in Germany and it looked like snow but it is infact severe frost which is rare in the uk

Posted

I have no idea whether its snow or freezing fog or whatever but its white over here, maybe 1/4 inch, enough to see tracks of cars etc. You can see the precip in the lampost light. Bizarre really, most we have had all winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I am absolutely shocked to see those pictures of snow covered ground in Yorkshire, East Anglia etc... Someone down the road from me in Coventry said it snowed this morning and everywhere was white, but when I was out in Leicester at around 10:30 it was like drizzling in the air, then by midday the cloud had disapeared and it was clear blue skies for a few hours, bizzare!

Posted

It's been snowing here since about 8ish this evening, and i mean proper snow BIG flakes!!! The local telly forecasts say its gunna be a dry night?! :doh:

post-8070-1203462409_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
It's been snowing here since about 8ish this evening, and i mean proper snow BIG flakes!!! The local telly forecasts say its gunna be a dry night?! :doh:

Madness!! Blow it down to Leicester, we want some!! LOL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Its not rocket science chaps, the Meto Radar has been showing localized showers around the country all day, if the temp at lower levels is below freezing, I imagine that there would be some snow flakes produced from these showers, not just hoar frost falling off treas, though shaking treas can be fun when they are covered in thick frost. :doh: