Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The winter of 62/63 and the TSAR bomb

The Eagle

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWqzgVVnFC0...feature=related

This video shows clips of the most powerful nuclear detonation in history which took place on Russian soil near the Artic circal in 1961. The 'Tsar' bomd was so powerful that its shock wave could be detected on its 3rd orbit around the globe through Richter Scale. Once detonated its sheer potential scared the Soviets witless and they imediately agreed that never again would a 100mt Hydrogen bomb be tested on Earth. This detonation changed sunsets around the globe for the next 5 years such was its potential. The bomb was so powerful it smashed most windows in Finland over 1000kms away and they could see the blast very clearly. It extended over 60km's into the sky.

However I note that despite the fact this Nuclear Device contained more then 10 times the amount of explosives used during the entire length of WW2 by all billigerents inc US Atomic bombings of Japan - that ppl have failed to accurately explain or highlight the date it was set off and its probrable impact on the 62/63 winter.

What do you think?

There were many other Nuclear detonations aswell during the 60's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zd5oDb8TM

Nowhere near as big as the 'TSAR' but in their own right equally devastating.

Edited by Darkman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It and the other tests must have altered the climate very slightly at least. Nuclear radiation must have effected the way everything on Earth grew and developed since too. However slight there will be differences.

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Interesting, would a ruddy great nuclear bomb reaching altitudes of 60 km constitute as a sudden stratospheric warming event?? If so I vote for a new nuclear arms race, maybe then we can get some bloomin' snow again :D

Posted
It and the other tests must have altered the climate very slightly at least. Nuclear radiation must have effected the way everything on Earth grew and developed since too. However slight there will be differences.

Russ

One small sliver of benefit from these tests was that they put some unique Carbon isotopes into the atmosphere that help researchers to sort out paleo-climatic temperature data sources. Woopeeee! :D

Posted

Woopee indeed :) The full effects of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s nuclear tests will not be apparent for many years still :D So you could say the tests are still running...

The bit that peeves me the most is that when the Americans detonated the first one in the desert in July 1945, they did not know if the reaction would stop or not once started, there was a chance that the reaction would not stop and actually consume the whole world. That is irrisponsible with a capital I.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Snowed a lot in parts of Iran this year, which is very unusual...... :D

Posted

I remember looking into this 2 years ago thinking I could link together some interesting points, regarding possible changes of climate in the short and longer term...... my conclusions were I couldn't figure out where to start looking!! lol :D

Posted

The climate is infinitely variable, yet influenced by the slightest change of circumstances. Predictable sometimes it maybe, but then as if by magic totally unpredictable.

Influences like the electromagnetic pulses from the above tests may well have had a profound effect on the climate, but who is to say and prove it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I started a thread on this topic a while ago over in the enviro section "Did the cold war make the world colder too?" (or something like that). If it's still there then check out the links I posted, some interesting stuff. From what I could gather, I'd say there's a fair chance it did have an impact but it's fairly reliant on proving the connection between C14, cosmic rays and cloud seeding - jury still out on that one. Historically, high levels of C14 have gone hand in hand with cooling; it could be entirely coincidence that large amounts of human generated C14 resulted in a cooler period during the nuclear testing period, but seems unlikely. Stratospheric warming IMO opinion must have played a part too, there is quite a lot of evidence for a large warming event prior to the winter of '63.

I've vague memories of India, fairly recently testing nuclear weapons but have no idea of the magnitude or whether or not that was reflected in the stratosphere via warming. Perhaps that would be easier to find details of correlation, now we have satellite measurements and observations of the stratosphere?

Posted
I've vague memories of India, fairly recently testing nuclear weapons but have no idea of the magnitude or whether or not that was reflected in the stratosphere via warming. Perhaps that would be easier to find details of correlation, now we have satellite measurements and observations of the stratosphere?

1998 iirc. Tests done underground so little stratospheric effect but maybe significant effect from dust thrown up :D

Posted

All good points. I think the thing that made the 'TSAR' bomb interesting here was its timing subsequent to a bitter European winter on 1963. I mean this detonation was huge - beyond belief really. The pictures and video can never do it justice.

300px-Ivan_bomb.png

The map above shows where it was detonated which is much the same area as where many more soviet nukes where testes. Whether man will ever get the chance to visit the area on foot again must be open to serious doubt. The landscape was completely altered. Although parts of the two Islands are actually populated believe it or not. I wonder what the house prices would be like there?

Edited by Darkman