Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted

yeah how strong was it in peterbro'?The whole house was shaken by it and a big chest of draws nearly fell over!!! we got the roaring too!!!!

Edited by south_holland_uk

Posted

Well, the BBC note people in 'west midlands' have felt something, but here in the London city it was VERY distinctly a quake. 0.58am, lasting at least 10 seconds, maybe 15 or so.

A mighty interesting end to the day.

Its like being on the LOST island. Behold, the monster arises !

Posted
Just a couple of minutes ago, (10.55 ish) there seemed to be a tremor which not only did i notice, but my neighbour came and asked me if i felt it too!

Are we both going mad/was it a local thing (heavy lorry etc) but it really didn't seem that way and there was no noise to explain it...

Anyone else feel anything??

(Any links to seismographs etc would be appreciated)

Just spoken to a couple more people in the area that both said they felt something as well...Seems like there was a mild tremor.

Anyone that can back this up?

just had an earthquake tremmor here in peterborough, quite strong and lasted for a while! about ten mins ago.

Birds were going crazy, whole house was shaking it woke me up lol

Edited by Slinky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

The 2 most read articles on BBC news are now 2 articles from minor quakes last year. It looks like plenty of people felt this.

4.7 Quake according to the USGS

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recent.../us2008nyae.php

Centred between Lincoln and Louth

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.3214+-0.3...mp;t=h&hl=e

Edited by Gorky

Posted
I dunno about the epicentre, but i think it was here in Grimsby. I leave in a first floor flat and the house shock like crazy, my last earthquake was in Kavos, Greece last year and that was 5.7 on the richter scale, this 'felt' much the same, though nothing was falling off shelves or anything! So with my lack of knowledge i would say it was 5.0 easy.

Relived it was an earthquake actually cos 3miles away there is loads of chemical factories. Felt like an explosion, no word of a lie!

W.O.W.

Now you've scared me. We have a lot of chemical factories in Billingham, a couple of miles down the road. I doubt there's structural damage anywhere here but in my wildest dreams I never thought I'd experience an earthquake here.

Posted

Largest instrumentally recorded earthquake was a magnitude 6.0 (local or richter magnitude) in the Dogger Bank 1931 I think. That was felt widely in eastern england, but as you can imagine it happened well offshore. Largest instrumentally recorded earthquake onshore was on the 19th July 1984 local magnitude 5.4 on the Lleyn Pennisula.

To my mind this felt larger than the magnitude 4.8 Dudley earthquake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Did anyone hear the noise????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Im so pleased you guys have felt it. 00.59 and it woke us all up. 8 month old Harry started crying. The house really shook!! I have already reported it to Sky News and BBc News.

Scared the hell out of us all. You could hear the brickwork moving :o

Posted

standby for the aftershocks, I'd think there is a little chance we might get another 4 pointer within an hour or so.

Standby for more shaking people, or maybe the cloverfield monster is a'coming ? :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

That was pretty crazy for sure. It's like somebody was sat beind me pushing on my chair. I turned around thinking there was someone in my room about to do unspeakable things to me! :o

Then the windows started creaking and I got worried, but there apepars to be no damage from what I can see. I spoke to a friend all the way down in Basingstoke and he felt it also.

Posted
Im so pleased you guys have felt it. 00.59 and it woke us all up. 8 month old Harry started crying. The house really shook!! I have already reported it to Sky News and BBc News.

Scared the hell out of us all. You could hear the brickwork moving :o

madness :o never felt anything like that! so strange!

was indeed strong here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Odd to say the least. I thought i had drunk too much!

(I meant 11.55 earlier)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Felt it here in Telford :o

I thought there was a ghost in the house but thankgod i was wrong.