Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted

That was really scary, and ironic in as far it it's not quite "THE BEAST FROM THE EAST" that I was expecting :mellow: Seemed to have a lower frequency than the last one we had which went "bang............BANG!" this one sort of picked the house up and shook it from side to side???

Posted

Remember that the initial estimates of epicenteral location will be subject to large errors - especially as this preliminary location has been given by the USGS. The BGS using data recorded on the UKs seismic monitoring network will constrain the location and magnitude much better. The USGS will be estimating the magnitude from body waves at worldwide sites often some distance from the UK, somewhat differently.

Posted
Light-hearted jokes, but I hear some people in Hull are still in temporary housing thanks to the floods that occurred last summer (lol i was in my own earthquake around the same time in greece). So though I am sure little or no damage has occured I think its not funny to jest 'at us forgotten people in the north'.

We're not in the north. According to the BBC, a tremor was felt in central and southern England. We've been relocated :mellow:

Posted

Felt the tremors in South Yorkshire (Barnsley) at 1am for aprox 3 seconds, V strange!

Posted

So, err...the Rapture starts in Hull ? First floods, then the quakes, fire next ? :mellow:

---

No one else noted yet, do you not think something else 'perceivable' might happen as a follow-up within the next hour ? We're almost a whole since since the 0.58 first quake...time for another ?

Calrissian: holding at Defcon 3

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
......here in the London city it was VERY distinctly a quake. 0.58am, lasting at least 10 seconds, maybe 15 or so.

Well, I was wide awake, no music or TV on....and noticed nothing, I'm ashamed to say!

But then maybe I'm a bit inured to them after living in LA in the 80s......I remember the Oct 1987 one very well indeed, and that was 5.9, meaning it was over ten times as strong (if I understand the logarithmic way the Richter Scale works correctly), and I was rather closer to the epicentre, too.

Posted

I caught it at almost exactly 1:00am in East Northamptonshire. That was the first one I've ever felt too, and the first thing I heard about it was a dull-thundery-noise. About 15 seconds later, the entire room started shaking, and lasted for about 10 seconds. I could hear it rumbling away for quite a while longer than that.

I thought at the time that maybe the epicentre was close to Peterborough, however Hull/Grimsby/Lincoln is close enough! :mellow:

What an experience. Glad to have felt that one.

Posted

As I say, the thing is, at first I thought it was just a heavy haulage truck. Where I live, literally yards from a main urban motorway, the apartment will often 'jolt' for a second, but thats it. This was different.

Some of the comments across the many boards are highly entertaining.

Best one yet, someone noting that they thought the new 'call of duty 4' effects are truly impressive at times.

Calrissian: was about to play Battlefield 2142...but then the quake struck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
I caught it at almost exactly 1:00am in East Northamptonshire. That was the first one I've ever felt too, and the first thing I heard about it was a dull-thundery-noise. About 15 seconds later, the entire room started shaking, and lasted for about 10 seconds. I could hear it rumbling away for quite a while longer than that.

I thought at the time that maybe the epicentre was close to Peterborough, however Hull/Grimsby/Lincoln is close enough! :D

What an experience. Glad to have felt that one.

My wife keeps asking if everything will be ok and Im struggling to promise her, is there a bigger one on the way!!!!! :mellow:

That really was quite powerful, Id like to know what it was down here in Suffolk. It takes alot to wake me up!!! The baby screaming never wakes me up, so this must have been notable :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

That was CRAZY!!! I was just in the bath around 1am when all of a sudden this big rumbling sound started and i just froze on the spot and the bath water was swaying and everything, I was shaking like a leaf afterwards! I have experienced 1 before in 2002 when the Dudley quake happened but this felt worse than that, at first I thought a bomb had gone off nearby and had shook the street but then logged onto msn and others had been saying they felt it too. Scary stuff!! :mellow:

Posted

got it to 4.9 on this link :mellow: not sure of location? http://www.orfeus-eu.org/Earthquakes/recentquakes.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
well i am in C London, old admiralty building, but didnt feel a thing. although the building i am in is very solid (3 feet thick walls)

It was minor down here, but either way, you were unlikely to feel a thing in there!

Posted
It was minor down here, but either way, you were unlikely to feel a thing in there!
yeah i know :mellow: ho hum, maybe another time.

wonder if there will be any aftershocks??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Am I the only one who thinks that experiance was better than sex?

Certainly not mate

Posted
Maybe we'll get an aftershock shortly?

Exactly ! Its worth staying up for an extra hour or two. If only for a little chance at catching another 4 pointer.

---

You know who I blame for this ? Yeah, the government. :mellow:

Calrissian: standing by.

Posted

Think of a bag of sugar

Posted

Quite an impressive quake for the UK. I live on the second floor so felt it very strongly, a definite shaking and felt a bit wobbly on my feet (Im sober too :mellow: ). No damage though, just a few alarms going off and lots of people being woken up.