Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted
ahh, here I am ! You mods, always making us move around. Much like the techtonic plates are moving beneath us right now.

Its a bit like shopping at Tesco's.. You think you know where everything is and then they change it... lol

BBC say that we should expect further tremors...

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Well, either 4.7 or 4.9 depending on where you look......which is amazingly close to my Feb CET prediction of 4.8.

Obviously I had an unconscious premonition of the quake in late Jan...... :)

Posted
Its a bit like shopping at Tesco's.. You think you know where everything is and then they change it... lol BBC say that we should expect further tremors...
so does that mean they are a given thing or is the BBC just guessing? i understand some aftershocks can be as severe as the original quake. lets hope they are not with this one eh?

Posted
so does that mean they are a given thing or is the BBC just guessing? i understand some aftershocks can be as severe as the original quake. lets hope they are not with this one eh?

Why not? It was fascinating.. and I'm sure it wasn't severe enough to cause any damage.

Posted

Well looking out of the window here, everybody is asleep it seems....all the light seem to be off and guess people slept through it.

The reason possibly being that we live on a hill, we get fairly frequent minor tremors from trains passing-by nearby....etc; and this may have been dismissed as that by people. Although personally it felt different for me, certainly stronger than the affect trains have on the flimsy structures in this part of the estate.

I'm quite shaken tbh.

EDIT - Mums still asleep (although being Iranian, she has lived through a few much stronger ones).

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Why not? It was fascinating.. and I'm sure it wasn't severe enough to cause any damage.
well not if you live close to the strongest part. UK houses are not built for 'quakes. nor is our infrastructure. plus a lot of people are probably scared silly (elderly, etc) and its perhaps a good thing it has happened late night. thats why not :)

Posted

Aftershocks aren't a given. Probably the biggest aftershock sequence the UK has ever witnesses was in the aftermath of the July 1984 Lleyn Pennisula 5.4 ML event which to an extent have continued until the present day. The main aftershock sequence was felt for a number of months.

I think there were relatively few, unfelt aftershocks from the Dudley event (only a couple of very minor significance if I recall). Normal threshold for feeling an earthquake in a very local area is approx magnitude 3 ML.

As I said, events in eastern England are far less common than western England and Wales. When they occur they do tend to be relatively large (by UK standards) and very deep. I'd be quite surprised if there were any felt aftershocks, certainly outside the very local area close to the epicentre.

Posted

Thats very rare for the UK.

The Dudley one was 5.0 on the richter scale....and judging by the geo-spatial extent of shocks felt and the reports; this one is clearly more violent albeit more brief.

Posted

I had the radio and light on but was asleep. First heard about it on the radio.

Magnitude 5.1 according to the British Geological Survey. This would be stronger than other recent notable earthquakes which would tie in with observations. I'm surprised people were shaken by this.

ed: 5.3 even...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Well looking out of the window here, everybody is asleep it seems....all the light seem to be off and guess people slept through it.

The reason possibly being that we live on a hill, we get fairly frequent minor tremors from trains passing-by nearby....etc; and this may have been dismissed as that by people. Although personally it felt different for me, certainly stronger than the affect trains have on the flimsy structures in this part of the estate.

I'm quite shaken tbh.

Yes, I am to PP. I can't say I enjoyed it. To be woken up with everything shaking and the distant sound of thunder/rumbling from below wasn't pleasent.

This may sound rather silly and i dont believe in ghosts, but my first thoughts were when my my eyes opened and the bed was rattling was some spirit/polterguist. I literally did nearly soil myself.

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

That will be more accurate... expect it to be adjusted though. Its quite easy to pick P- and S- phases quickly for an inital estimate, but as the BGS get more waveform data from all stations across the UK monitoring network they will refine the picks and the estimates.

If it is indeed 5.3 ML, that would make it second largest onshore earthquake ever instrumentally recorded in the UK.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
Aftershocks aren't a given. Probably the biggest aftershock sequence the UK has ever witnesses was in the aftermath of the July 1984 Lleyn Pennisula 5.4 ML event which to an extent have continued until the present day. The main aftershock sequence was felt for a number of months. I think there were relatively few, unfelt aftershocks from the Dudley event (only a couple of very minor significance if I recall). Normal threshold for feeling an earthquake in a very local area is approx magnitude 3 ML. As I said, events in eastern England are far less common than western England and Wales. When they occur they do tend to be relatively large (by UK standards) and very deep. I'd be quite surprised if there were any felt aftershocks, certainly outside the very local area close to the epicentre.
Thanks MS. was not sure whether they were gauranteed to happen.

Posted
Yes, I am to PP. I can't say I enjoyed it. To be woken up with everything shaking and the distant sound of thunder/rumbling from below wasn't pleasent.

This may sound rather silly and i dont believe in ghosts, but my first thoughts were when my my eyes opened and the bed was rattling was some spirit/polterguist. I literally did nearly soil myself.

Funny you should say that, I though exactly the same thing :) Sometime I have dreams where I wakemyself up thinking something is shaking the bed, so you can imagine what I was like when something actually WAS! I sat bolt upright and shouted JESUS CRIST! at the top of my voice. And my mum shouted PAUL PAUL!!!!!!!!!!! It was really scary :) (my mum sleeps down the hall, in another room before you start lol)

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Well I must admit to being a pansy.

(I can't sleep now)

:)

:) Me too, im a BIG WIMP :)

Posted
Well I must admit to being a pansy.

(I can't sleep now)

:)

nor me , i'm on tenter hooks waiting for the ghost to come back and get me!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I hope there isn't any aftershocks. The 100+ year old houses won't like it much.

What are the chances of structural weakening?

Posted
Well I must admit to being a pansy. (I can't sleep now) :)
:) Me too, im a BIG WIMP :)
wusses :):D

it must be quite an anxious feeling not knowing if there will be any more tremors. and from reading the reports on the net i would imagine i would be a bit scared to be in it too. :)

biggest Quake for nearly 20 years >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm