Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted

A person from the USGS on sky news now is saying that teh quake depth was about 6 miles and after shocks are possible although none have been recorded yet

Posted

The only people I feel even a little sympathy for are those in tall tower blocks. I've read a few people online report how they were really freaking out as the towers noticably swayed during the quake.

As for the rest of ya. ha. Its just a little quake, nothing to be worried about.

Then again, I'm in London, so I guess it was less strong. I wonder how much it was here though, compared to the epicentre.

--

Brit' Geo people now quote a quake of 5.3 Thats not bad.

Calrissian: tired.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

A 5.3 is a big one by Californian standards, (texting cousin there) My main concern are the chimney pots and cracking of the cement between the bricks.

Must go to bed now.

Posted

Wow, that must have been a big surprise. I knew that eastern Britain was mildly active for quakes, I believe it is similar in this regard to parts of eastern Canada and the Puget Sound region. Back on 28 Feb 2001 the Seattle area was hit by a slightly stronger quake (5.9 I think that was) and the damage reports were similar to what you'll probably have when morning light comes, a few cases of falling masonry, a lot of loose objects falling off shelves, and the odd roadway that needs a bit of work here or there.

You never know in these secondary earthquake zones, I am always reminded of that freak 8.0 earthquake in the Mississippi valley in December 1811 that was supposed to have been quite severe. There has never been anything like that in the region since. The same thing happened in Newfoundland in the 1920s, I think it was, a much stronger earthquake than anyone was expecting in that region, but it hasn't been repeated.

Let's hope then you have now lived through the strongest earthquake possible in eastern England and it wasn't all that bad.

Must say there are some howlers in this thread, well done. I cracked up (appropriately) at the mention of the CET forecast and the improvements to Hull. Good thing then that Craig Evans didn't have a premonition. :)

Posted
A 5.3 is a big one by Californian standards, (texting cousin there) My main concern are the chimney pots and cracking of the cement between the bricks. Must go to bed now.
well daylight soon so more will be known about damage.

night Stel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
The only people I feel even a little sympathy for are those in tall tower blocks. I've read a few people online report how they were really freaking out as the towers noticably swayed during the quake.

As for the rest of ya. ha. Its just a little quake, nothing to be worried about.

Then again, I'm in London, so I guess it was less strong. I wonder how much it was here though, compared to the epicentre.

--

Brit' Geo people now quote a quake of 5.3 Thats not bad.

Calrissian: tired.

Well my strong knowledge of the local area is that there are only 5 tall tower blocks (1 is the old BT Exchange building the 2nd is the old victoria mill house which is partially converted into flats), and the other 3 are about 12+ flights high-housing, not sure about Hull, as for Lincoln its fairly low-rise. Sure glad I wasn't living in any of them!

Oh and lets not forget the Dock Tower itself, anyone confirm its earthquake proof? I hear the foundations itself were made to take some sway, probably regarding the wind. :)

Edited by rikki

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
well, thats it for me I think. An interesting experience, although an all out 1960s style blizzard would be more pleasing.

Goodnight all.

:) i second that

Posted

Can't believe a 5.3 is causing such excitement :):)

Still, that is good one for the UK and it seems to have originated near to populated areas, and was felt over a wide area.

What is the situation with UK buildings- how earthquake proof are they? Over here there is a Kiwi invention (of which they are rather proud) called the Base Isolators, which are installed under several important buildings in the capital. I don't know how the older houses would fare (like the one in which I reside :) ).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I felt it here, never felt one before I actually found it quite exciting although stronger ones would probably frighten me.

Posted

Glad you're okay, Flaggy :) (and our other Lincolnshire correspondents too, of course.).

We felt the earthquake here too. Just before 1am Lord P and I both woke up because our bed was shaking. It was very eerie.

Posted

me a light sleeper not a ruddy thing fast asleep and only put the light out around 1215am!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Woke to a distant rumbling that got louder and louder then suddenly the bed shook like mad then everything went quiet bar the odd distant burglar alarm.

An explosion crossed my mind but I suspected an earthquake in reality. The strengh surprised me that there wasn't any damage to our house as it was quiet a shaking. Biggest one I can remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Gosh. Well that gave me a decent rattle n roll last night !

Latest I'm hearing is, it was a 5.2 quake.

Sounded like distant thunder to me, but the most noise was from

the windows rattling. Shook the bed quite strongly for several

seconds and then tailed off for several more.

Fortunately no personal damage. (I'm c. 15m north of Hull.)

Everyone in my street had their lights on having a look round,

but I was surprised no alarms at all went off.

I could see a few poor blackbirds scared from their roosts.

Have to admit, it was rather exciting ! lol

I hope the few across the zone who are hurt soon mend.

Interested to read what others said re. aftershocks. None felt

so far, and my husband is now on his motorbike off to Hull, so

I'm not wishing for any !

Cheers, BL.x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Going to be difficult to tell which damage is due to the quake or due to the gusty wind.

Anyway being a good boy I fille dthe report out on the British Geological website.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
I could see a few poor blackbirds scared from their roosts.

Cheers, BL.x

Thats something I noticed the birds were woken up, I heard a Robin singing!

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Moulton - North Northants. Was just getting ready for bed at 00:57 and low rumbling sound started which I thought was a lorry coming up the lane which would have been unusual given my rural location and the time of day, rumbling and shaking got steadily worse and ended with a very loud bang. I rushed through to front of house expecting to see a lorry through the front of the house. Whole event was probably 10 - 15 seconds. I rushed outside and was nearly hit by a bird they were loads of birds flying about. No dogs barking or alarms going off though. No one else was about so I Sky news on for details

No damage noticed and not had chance to talk to neighbours yet

Posted

It woke me and the missus up.

I said to her what the hell was that. Was going to say I bet it was a earthquake but thought that would have been a waste of time. I first thought it was a very strong gust of wind, but with the number of alarms that got set off outside made me think otherwise.

Checked the time on the clock (12.57am) so I could have a look this morning on the news or internet to see if it was a earthquake and there it was, all over the news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
Moulton - North Northants. Was just getting ready for bed at 00:57 and low rumbling sound started which I thought was a lorry coming up the lane which would have been unusual given my rural location and the time of day, rumbling and shaking got steadily worse and ended with a very loud bang. I rushed through to front of house expecting to see a lorry through the front of the house. Whole event was probably 10 - 15 seconds. I rushed outside and was nearly hit by a bird they were loads of birds flying about. No dogs barking or alarms going off though. No one else was about so I Sky news on for details

No damage noticed and not had chance to talk to neighbours yet

Yes, I meant to add that to my post ..

Aren't dogs supposed to be very sensitive to earthquakes ?

My ol' whippet didn't move a muscle through all that shaking and rattling ..

or even when we got up excitedly to investigate :rolleyes:

BL x