Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

E-Day

MAF

Posted

are you dong anything to save energy and climate??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7266978.stm

i have not had any electric on, other then boiler and fridge/freezer, for a good part of the day at home. (mind you i was not in for most of it anyway) but all the stuff on standby was unplugged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I am not doing anything to save global warming

Posted
I am not doing anything to save global warming

That makes at least two of us then,because IMO AGW is complete and utter twaddle and even if it were true it would be no bad thing. Now,saving money on your fuel bills and preserving those precious resources is another matter...

AGW has got to be the most successful scam ever perpetrated(so far),seeing as it's 'victims' have actually become tools for it's propagation,doing the dirty work of it's originators. Pure brilliance.

Edited by laserguy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
are you dong anything to save energy and climate??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7266978.stm

i have not had any electric on, other then boiler and fridge/freezer, for a good part of the day at home. (mind you i was not in for most of it anyway) but all the stuff on standby was unplugged.

NO!!!!!!

BFTP

Posted
NO!!!!!! BFTP
care to elaborate?

i too am of the opinion that saving resources is important, but linking it with global warming is somewhat tenuous.

Posted

Yep: Doing my bit by not cutting down at all on anything, simply because it is the most sensible we can do.

If we continue to use resources as end users it may just kick the governments butt to supply energy and vehicles etc that are environmentally friendly at costs equivalent to the present if not cheaper.

I don't subscribe to the ethos of doing my bit at all, its a common tactic used by goverments to control the masses and the basis of propaganda. It is most commonly employed to divert attention from the deeds of a few in this case governments and industry where the responsibility ultimately lies??

Posted
Yep: Doing my bit by not cutting down at all on anything, simply because it is the most sensible we can do.

If we continue to use resources as end users it may just kick the governments butt to supply energy and vehicles etc that are environmentally friendly at costs equivalent to the present if not cheaper.

I don't subscribe to the ethos of doing my bit at all, its a common tactic used by goverments to control the masses and the basis of propaganda. It is most commonly employed to divert attention from the deeds of a few in this case governments and industry where the responsibility ultimately lies??

I disagree with this.

We all have a part to play; we voted for this government, we consume products that give companies and industries revenue.

We are ALL responsible. Every single one of us.

I often feel that I'm one of the few of my age who are genuinely doing something about it; I've written to politicians and getting involved in educating people about sustainable living. Few people care.....well thats there problem!!

Posted

I was going to turn the thermostat on my central heating down. But then I realised a) it was already set on 15c and b ) I don't have the heating on at all at the moment anyway .... :p

To be honest, there's little I can do because I already do them - and have done so for as long as I can remember. I don't have money to, literally, burn. It's common sense not to use energy more than necessary - and has been ever since they came up with the idea of actually charging us money for gas and electricity ...... Unfortunately, most people in the UK have far more money than they need* and hence we use much, much more energy than is necessary.

* note need most people do not have as much money as they want, including those earning £10m a year. But there is a difference between need and want. Oddly enough, those who have all they need tend to be happier than those who do not have all they want. A moral lost on modern society.

Edited by Essan

Posted

care to elaborate?

Not really. Sorry to be short but it's a farce IMO and the recent massive global temp drop is the first current 'tangible' sign that has put a boot into the AGW brigade.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
That makes at least two of us then,because IMO AGW is complete and utter twaddle and even if it were true it would be no bad thing. Now,saving money on your fuel bills and preserving those precious resources is another matter...

AGW has got to be the most successful scam ever perpetrated(so far),seeing as it's 'victims' have actually become tools for it's propagation,doing the dirty work of it's originators. Pure brilliance.

Ahh, the old throw enough mud and hopefully some will stick approach :(

Edited by Devonian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
I disagree with this.

We all have a part to play; we voted for this government, we consume products that give companies and industries revenue.

I often feel that I'm one of the few of my age who are genuinely doing something about it; I've written to politicians and getting involved in educating people about sustainable living. Few people care.....well thats there problem!!

The Daily Mail seem to be on to plastic bags now i didnt know there was so many millions around although did see some in the sea when in the Maldives (its still there)

Things like that and all those plastic water bottles could easily be replaced with something else less toxic to the environment

Posted
The Daily Mail seem to be on to plastic bags now i didnt know there was so many millions around although did see some in the sea when in the Maldives (its still there)

Things like that and all those plastic water bottles could easily be replaced with something else less toxic to the environment

Now that I don't agree with, the indescriminate dumping of rubbish is taboo in my view and my boy who is not 3 yet has learned to dispose of waste properly in bins. :huh:

BFTP

Posted

[self-edited]Perhaps not, huh[/self-edited]

.... nope didn't do a thing, as its a pointless exercise. Long term social change is the only way to reduce our effect on our biosphere, in my opinion.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
I disagree with this.

I hope people take the serious point I make, I care about the environment which is why I believe that the 10% who are responsible for the 90% should not get away with putting the guilt and action onto the 90% who are responsible for 10%. Its about time we stood up and said no to the "do as we say and not do as we do" mentality and demanded action from them. The technology exists to produce cars that halve today's CO2 emissions make that mandatory and make it affordable for all. The electricity we use is what is put in the other end by the energy supplier, if its green it does not matter how much we use? If not maybe I can have the same small print on my terms of action or maybe buy a few carbon credits from some poverty stricken African country.

Yes I am all for the sharing of responsibility and if people had this attitude throughout the 20th century we would not be in the situation we are in today, and certainly not of fought to world wars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It seems it didn't work too well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7270218.stm

althought to be honest with you I had only heard about E-Day today, maybe that was the problem.

Posted
It seems it didn't work too well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7270218.stm

althought to be honest with you I had only heard about E-Day today, maybe that was the problem.

They should legally enforce an e-day twice a week.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I disagree with this.

We there's certain things we aren't responsible for. Like the company that sends a one foot by 1/2 inch box for one small bolt. A small jiffy bag would have done. Packaging for stuff like usb sticks or computer games. Loads of plastic and cardboard that isn't needed.

We also need to educate people that lose food and veg is just as good as pre-packed stuff. If you're worried about people touching them well you've got realise they've been groped at some time on the way across. I always buy lose if I can and use a plastic back over and over until it falls to bits.

Posted

I didn't realise that there had been an "official" E-day, until I read about it here! But I do all I can every day anyway.

Pit, mentioning vegetables reminded me of a teenaged (and hormone-riddled) girl on the TV who was almost hysterical at the sight of a carrot with mud on it. She absolutely refused even to touch it, instead having hysterics about the state of it and how dirty it was! Some parents have an awful lot to answer for!

PS I have my old galvanised dustbin from 30 years ago.....it is about a third of the size of my wheely bin.....remembering also that paper, tins, bottles, paper, garden waste et al don't go into the wheely bin, it is amazing how much "rubbish" we produce. Just think.....a whole week's rubbish (including stuff that we now recycle) could be contained in something one third the size of a modern wheely bin. Manufacturers and Health & Safety have a lot to answer for.

Right, so that's some parents, manufacturers and the government slagged off then!

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I didn't realise that there had been an "official" E-day, until I read about it here! But I do all I can every day anyway.

Pit, mentioning vegetables reminded me of a teenaged (and hormone-riddled) girl on the TV who was almost hysterical at the sight of a carrot with mud on it. She absolutely refused even to touch it, instead having hysterics about the state of it and how dirty it was! Some parents have an awful lot to answer for!

PS I have my old galvanised dustbin from 30 years ago.....it is about a third of the size of my wheely bin.....remembering also that paper, tins, bottles, paper, garden waste et al don't go into the wheely bin, it is amazing how much "rubbish" we produce. Just think.....a whole week's rubbish (including stuff that we now recycle) could be contained in something one third the size of a modern wheely bin. Manufacturers and Health & Safety have a lot to answer for.

Right, so that's some parents, manufacturers and the government slagged off then!

Ah the day when Bin Men were men. Came and collected your bin put it back no rubbish blowing around no need to worry above you bin blowing away those were the days. You were able to walk down a street and the pavement wasn't blocked by wheelie bins or wheelie bins rolling around on there side. If there was extra rubbish the bag was collected and not left polluting the street encouraging rats. We do produce more rubbish these days as packaging has increased. At the end of the day most of it's about money and saving costs. Fortnightly collections aren't about getting people to recycle it's about saving money even though it's a health risk. Charging twice isn't about getting people to recycle it's about raising money.

Posted
Ah the day when Bin Men were men. Came and collected your bin put it back no rubbish blowing around no need to worry above you bin blowing away those were the days.

The good old days. Just when were they?

You were able to walk down a street and the pavement wasn't blocked by wheelie bins or wheelie bins rolling around on there side. If there was extra rubbish the bag was collected and not left polluting the street encouraging rats.

Well, I've heard it all. Bin bags in the street are better than solid and lidded wheelie bins cos you have to (it's a scandal I tell you!) ,walk around wheelie bins for the few hours they are out awaiting collection :D

We do produce more rubbish these days as packaging has increased.

Right, we're wasters!

At the end of the day most of it's about money and saving costs. Fortnightly collections aren't about getting people to recycle it's about saving money even though it's a health risk. Charging twice isn't about getting people to recycle it's about raising money.

I don't see how it can't cost more to collect and dispose of all that extra waste you accept we now produce?

Posted
Well, I've heard it all. Bin bags in the street are better than solid and lidded wheelie bins cos you have to (it's a scandal I tell you!) ,walk around wheelie bins for the few hours they are out awaiting collection :D

Don't you agree, though, Dev, that one 2'6" high galvanised bin is less unsightly than the great big plastic monstrosities we have today? It made for a tidier street environment.

As for the good old days....don't get me started on that! :D

Posted
Don't you agree, though, Dev, that one 2'6" high galvanised bin is less unsightly than the great big plastic monstrosities we have today? It made for a tidier street environment.

No, tbh, I don't.

If we went back to those bins the Pit's of this world would go nuts at the tax cost of manhandling the contents of each one into the dust cart :) . We have wheelie bins for 'good' reasons 1) we're wasters on an ever increasing scale so bigger bins are needs 2) they can be machine emptied.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'm gonna stay in bed and save my energy..! :)