Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

E-Day

MAF

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
They should legally enforce an e-day twice a week.

Sounds like a great way to make criminals of virtually the entire population.

As for the wheelie bins, the bigger issue is the associated rats and maggots (and the consequent flies, of course).

:)

CB

Posted
Sounds like a great way to make criminals of virtually the entire population.

As for the wheelie bins, the bigger issue is the associated rats and maggots (and the consequent flies, of course).

:)

CB

We all commit crimes...of varying degrees.

The biggest one has been the relentless abuse of the earth.

Posted

I'm glad I don't have a wheelie bin

1) I have nowhere to put it (except the back garden which'd entail carrying it through the house)

2) I hardly have anything to put in it!

Maybe I could have a mini wheelie bin 18 inched high?

Posted
It seems it didn't work too well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7270218.stm

althought to be honest with you I had only heard about E-Day today, maybe that was the problem.

Soft sod that I am, I felt a bit sorry for the guy promoting E-Day when reading that!

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity...and/Demand8.htm

Here's evidence of no decline in electricity use between Wednesday and Thursday. This is quite an interesting page in general, and it also has hourly and 24-hourly use data. It really shows the difference weekends and major public holidays make to the nation's electricity use (Christmas and Boxing Day saw massive falls).

Conclusion: Save the planet - more public holidays! :blush:

Edited by Duncan McAlister

Posted
Conclusion: Save the planet - more public holidays! :blush:

When the FF's have gone,it'll be one long (freezing cold!) holiday! Nothing to do,nothing to make,no way of getting there etc. Bring on global warming so we can see out our days in pastoral splendour and at least grow our own stuff. Cos if we end up with five million wind farms this will be a monotonous occurence:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNew...749522920080228?

Course,the sudden drop in CO2 emissions on days like this when the wind blows,will no doubt hurry along the onset of the next ice age!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
The good old days. Just when were they?

Well, I've heard it all. Bin bags in the street are better than solid and lidded wheelie bins cos you have to (it's a scandal I tell you!) ,walk around wheelie bins for the few hours they are out awaiting collection :blush:

Right, we're wasters!

I don't see how it can't cost more to collect and dispose of all that extra waste you accept we now produce?

Start at the top. The good old days were before you were born when MD's gave up there job to be binmen because it was that well paid. I kid you not. :):)

Clearly you're deliberately missing the point about the bin bags. It's quiet a problem in some parts of Sheffield where access rubbish is left behind despite being bagged. Foxes and Dogs etc come along rip them open and you have rubbish all over the place. Why do you think rats are increasing?? Also in the lids are slightly open the wheelie bin is left which is also stupid. Ever considered someone with a pram. Mention someone parking on the pavement and cries of outrage. Mothers forced to wheel the prams onto the road. Wheelie bins doing the same seems to be different. Also they're not left there for a few hours. They're left all day as bin men don't put them back and people work.

Cost of collection is already provide for the council tax. Adding yet another tax for the same service is plain robbery.

First off deal with the access packing from companies and this will filter down natural to less rubbish.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I'm glad I don't have a wheelie bin

1) I have nowhere to put it (except the back garden which'd entail carrying it through the house)

2) I hardly have anything to put in it!

Maybe I could have a mini wheelie bin 18 inched high?

Well there's just two of us at home and theres three bins.

One Blue Bin for paper and cardboard.

Green Bin for Garden

General Rubbish mainly for food etc. This take a lot of room up. The promised Bottle Bin and Glass Bin hasn't arrived after several years. We don't need those anyway.

Blue Bin tends to get full. This is mainly 70% junk mail. I've cancelled one set of newspapers and it's huge amount of unwanted junk that came with it. You can write to charities all day long saying don't send us your junk they just ignore you. I now tend to send them back RTS if I beat my Mother to them that is.

At the moment the blue is rather full due to a large Mothers day present from my Sister which I didn't approve of.

Green Bin varies depending on the weather. Dry summer hardly used in between summer used often.

Main bin normally half full for collection. I've managed to reduce this by not buying pre-packaged food when ever possible.

So I am trying to my bit.

Posted
Start at the top. The good old days were before you were born when MD's gave up there job to be binmen because it was that well paid. I kid you not. :):)

Clearly you're deliberately missing the point about the bin bags. It's quiet a problem in some parts of Sheffield where access rubbish is left behind despite being bagged. Foxes and Dogs etc come along rip them open and you have rubbish all over the place. Why do you think rats are increasing?? Also in the lids are slightly open the wheelie bin is left which is also stupid. Ever considered someone with a pram. Mention someone parking on the pavement and cries of outrage. Mothers forced to wheel the prams onto the road. Wheelie bins doing the same seems to be different. Also they're not left there for a few hours. They're left all day as bin men don't put them back and people work.

Cost of collection is already provide for the council tax. Adding yet another tax for the same service is plain robbery.

First off deal with the access packing from companies and this will filter down natural to less rubbish.

:clap::clap:

And furthermore! How do some households (clearly not yours P ) manage to generate so much rubbish anyway? FWIW,there's three of us here plus so many cats I can hardly keep count,but our sole bin is very rarely full come collection day.