Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

your general thoughts about february 2008

damianslaw

Posted

I know there is a thread relating to the February CET, but I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for users to discuss their general feelings about the february just gone. I'm not sure whether people want a separate thread to discuss the winter as a whole, however, considering some people believe it officially ends today, others 21st March and others when they think chances of notable wintry conditions diminish, i expect another thread will develop soon on the winter anyhow,

I personally think it has been a rather 'special' month.

The highlight for me being the wonderful spell of weather between 8th and 20th. It was persistantly dry over the majority of the country with sunshine levels on some days at the maximum level they could possibly be. Many sunrises and sunsets were spectacular. It was also interesting in how the opening days brought exceptional mildness, but then from the 14th onwards we saw persistant sharp frosts giving beautiful sparkling mornings - it all felt very very continental and certainly wasn't a 'normal' spell of weather it was really quite exceptional in my opinion.

Other thoughts...

Posted
I know there is a thread relating to the February CET, but I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for users to discuss their general feelings about the february just gone. I'm not sure whether people want a separate thread to discuss the winter as a whole, however, considering some people believe it officially ends today, others 21st March and others when they think chances of notable wintry conditions diminish, i expect another thread will develop soon on the winter anyhow,

I personally think it has been a rather 'special' month.

The highlight for me being the wonderful spell of weather between 8th and 20th. It was persistantly dry over the majority of the country with sunshine levels on some days at the maximum level they could possibly be. Many sunrises and sunsets were spectacular. It was also interesting in how the opening days brought exceptional mildness, but then from the 14th onwards we saw persistant sharp frosts giving beautiful sparkling mornings - it all felt very very continental and certainly wasn't a 'normal' spell of weather it was really quite exceptional in my opinion.

Other thoughts...

I think because of the stormy end to the month my and other people's abiding memories will not be as good as they could have been. Still, I can't forget the 5 or so days with hardly a cloud in the sky. Unusual in any winter month.

Edited by Duncan McAlister

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Best February and winter month I can ever remember personally. The high volumes of sunshine, the warm days, the freezing nights and a stunning frosty ice day. Perfect astronomy weather by night, t-shirt weather by day at some points and not too much in the way of gloom. How can you beat it? Many would say 'no snow = poor winter month' but not me! I'll take more winter months like it thanks!

And yeah - we broke the sunshine record in many places no doubt - a record I'm sure nobody minds falling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

A very good month for me. Cold nights, even during the mild spell during the day, lots of sun and bone dry for a while, perfect hiking weather. Being on top of the Peak District, the sun beating down on me, no wind at all and frost in the shadows/frozen streams certainly made me very happy!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

An interesting Month with day temps nearly 3 degrees above average and night temps over a degree below average. Can't recall another month like it. Also a very dry month. Horrible lack of Snow so for that one of the worst febs I can remember.

Also it had the first ice day for five years which is also interesting.

It's been a wonderful month with plenty of night frosts and mild days with tons of sunshine, it probably will be the best month of this year, very pleasant with the sun not being too strong and with cool dew points giving a lovely chill in the shade out of the sun, i dont think such a pleasant month will be repeated this year as dew points rise and sun gets stronger under such spells after March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my thoughts about feb 08, very good for 2008 even larger teapot, i had snow 1st-2nd, a very sunny month with a low of -6.0oC on the 17th, i had around 12 days in double figures but it is 2008 warm even larger teapot, today leap day probably the worst, gales suck my temp is 11.1oC now

the 9th-13th was fantastic with unbroken sun

i really want this wind to die down

Posted

Well think it`s been said this month has been unusual and that means it will be memorable for how sunny and those warm days great sunsets and the starlings doing there amazing displays also 1000`s of them :drinks: Record breaking sunny actually but with only a cold snap at the beginning and refreshing a west/SW-ly to actually(Jan 31st) deliver snow showers, first day to bring the only snowfall which just 2 years worse for that that I`ve recorded are feb 1997 and 1998.

Snowfall was the biggest dissappointment though.

Better for frosts mind.

Lots of ground frosts too and those welcome hard air frosts and 12 sunny 6 days of a warmer or milder to another 6 days colder with air frosts strange.

11 ground frost to 6 air frosts.

And a very dry month middle 3 weeks which helped too.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!
love the hard frost/sunny days combo,for me a great month

:yahoo: Yah! someone is still at home !!!

Posted
meaning?

Sorry , every other topic in here is fast asleep.

Thought by now, if snow `IS` on it`s way thing`s would be more "alive"........

Edited by ECHOBASE1975MK6

Posted

ahh i see. your dead right tho any mention of snow and this place goes nuttier than squirrel sh#t

and if i get snow i,ll be more surprised than a whole bag of surprised things

and just to keep on topic feb was lovely

Edited by blackdown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ive noticed how quiet it has been only 10 members on model thread, normally with 1 day of possible snow it would be 250+ users with the names underneath having to be switched off

Posted
ahh i see. your dead right tho any mention of snow and this place goes nuttier than squirrel sh#t

and if i get snow i,ll be more surprised than a whole bag of surprised things

and just to keep on topic feb was lovely

Feb was lovelery, just in case I get pulled ! It ain`t gonna snow cos my logins still visable lol ! The place goes crazy and certain members return when things look ¬white¬ !

Posted

Best February on record really. Unusually warm by day and cold and frosty by night.

Record low February (and all time low) combined with a record high February day for me. -6.6c and 14.1c.

Posted

brilliant month!!!

snow at the start of the month and gales.

a wee rest bite in the middle.

and some of the best storms of the year to cap off a brillaint month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I thought it was a remarkable month. A bout of snow on the 1st (okay, it was a pitiful cold snap taking the country as a whole, but it did deliver for Norwich), then a mostly sunny first week with a few sharp showers.

The most outstanding feature was the anticyclonic spell 8th-20th, featuring unusually reliable sunshine for the time of year, in which East Anglia was most heavily affected (250% of normal sunshine for 1-15 February). The spell contained plenty of sunshine, variable amounts of haze, some stunning sunsets, and variable temperatures (notably warm early on, cold/frosty later). It was one of those rare occasions where I was happy for an anticyclonic spell to go on and on.

The last week was rather forgettable from my perspective- just the traditional dry cloudy mild nothingness. It didn't stop East Anglia coming in at around 200% of normal sunshine though.

I still rate February 1996 as the favourite of the Februarys I've experienced, but this one comes a close second.

Posted

Does anyone know where I can find statistics for February 2008 for cities? The Met Office gives them for regions (as in Wales, England, Scotland, N Ireland) but I can't find any greater detail on there..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the nearest approach is Philip Eden's site, which should have some station statistics up on the web in a few days' time:

http://www.climate-uk.com/

Posted
I thought it was a remarkable month.

I still rate February 1996 as the favourite of the Februarys I've experienced, but this one comes a close second.

This month was certainly one of a kind thats for sure. :)

Feb 1996 will rate 2nd high up similar to 1994 3rd as the 90`s were concerned but 1991 was the best of the decade. :)

Feb 1985 and 1986 has to be my all time favourite months though just for the best drifting snow longitivity and blizzards ever. :)

Feb 1979 would of probably rated the highest but there again it may not off, don`t remember too much from that winter for some reason it`s along while ago now and didn`t appeciate it then so much as having snow/blizzards was a normal winter to me then and being alot younger.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119790215.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A short Summary: Lovely sunshine but a BORING Month!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Boaring and mild, surprisingly no exceptional warmth at all, dont know if anyone else had the same but the highest temperature of the month was 12.4c, which is very odd as i would of thought the south west would have been one of the mildest places, in the country.

Posted

OK, certainly the most interesting of the winter months here. 16 air frosts, and plenty of photo opportunities with a hard frost almost daily in the frost hollows of the nearby forest. Also some great PSC displays at sunset (a first for me).

Not particularly warm, highest temp of 13°C, or cold with a low of -5°C. Overall temp near average, but drier than average. Rather dull and featureless beginning and end.