Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Australian summer

Posted

Well, "relatively" cold anyway!

All data and claims from:

From www.weatherzone.com.au

Coldest Canberra February for 12 years. Average maxima "only" 25C. One day max of 17C was coldest day for 3 years.

Coldest Sydney February for 23 years. Wettest in 6 years. Average maxima on occassions have been "only" 21C.

Mildest (as in cool) Brisbane February since 2003. Double the normal rainfall. Average maxima "only" 29C.

Coldest Hobart February in 12 years. Average maxima were only 21C. One day only reached 14C, being the coldest February day in 5 years.

Wettest Perth February in 15 years. However, they also recorded their warmest February since 1996. Maximum was 41C.

Wettest Darwin February in 5 years. Temperatures close to normal. However, there was some variability. The average maximum should be 31C, on one occasion they hit 34C and on another only 26C (!), the coolest February day for 52 years! I've never been to Darwin but that sort of climate sounds like something out of a nightmare- having to wait half a century to get a wet-season temperature in the mid 20s! (Though in that humidity I would most likely still fall apart).

---

Meteorologists seem to be saying all this is typical of a La Nina year.

From what I've seen, the mid-latitude anticyclone belt has usually centred around the latitudes of about 42S (ish). Often, they have stalled in the South Australia Bight and moved quite slowly into the Tasman Sea. All of this has meant persistent cool southerlies and south easterlies for much of TAS, SA, Vic, ACT and NSW. On the otherhand, it has also given rise to hot easterlies/ north easterlies affecting WA. I don't know what La Nina means for tropical meteorology but I believe it pushes SSTs up in Carpentaria and the rest of Northern Aussie, probably increasing monsoonal rainfall.

Posted
Well, "relatively" cold anyway!

All data and claims from:

From www.weatherzone.com.au

Coldest Canberra February for 12 years. Average maxima "only" 25C. One day max of 17C was coldest day for 3 years.

Coldest Sydney February for 23 years. Wettest in 6 years. Average maxima on occassions have been "only" 21C.

Mildest (as in cool) Brisbane February since 2003. Double the normal rainfall. Average maxima "only" 29C.

Coldest Hobart February in 12 years. Average maxima were only 21C. One day only reached 14C, being the coldest February day in 5 years.

Wettest Perth February in 15 years. However, they also recorded their warmest February since 1996. Maximum was 41C.

Wettest Darwin February in 5 years. Temperatures close to normal. However, there was some variability. The average maximum should be 31C, on one occasion they hit 34C and on another only 26C (!), the coolest February day for 52 years! I've never been to Darwin but that sort of climate sounds like something out of a nightmare- having to wait half a century to get a wet-season temperature in the mid 20s! (Though in that humidity I would most likely still fall apart).

---

Meteorologists seem to be saying all this is typical of a La Nina year.

From what I've seen, the mid-latitude anticyclone belt has usually centred around the latitudes of about 42S (ish). Often, they have stalled in the South Australia Bight and moved quite slowly into the Tasman Sea. All of this has meant persistent cool southerlies and south easterlies for much of TAS, SA, Vic, ACT and NSW. On the otherhand, it has also given rise to hot easterlies/ north easterlies affecting WA. I don't know what La Nina means for tropical meteorology but I believe it pushes SSTs up in Carpentaria and the rest of Northern Aussie, probably increasing monsoonal rainfall.

Gimme some of that "cold" anytime mate .

Posted
Gimme some of that "cold" anytime mate .

weatherzone.com.au described Sydney's February as "icy". :doh:

Posted

Theres already a topic of australian weather in here, we dont have to merge it though?

Weather here isnt cold, icy?:S Im so confused......im only on northern nsw coast and described as mild to hot and very muggiest summer ever......even though its wettest on record!