Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Some photo's taken with my new Canon 400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Some nice shots there Kelly. I particularly like the colour in the second photo and the contrast the small trees have with the blue sky in the background of the later photos- picture 6 demonstrates this well. I also like the effect on the last photograph, gives it a sense of ghostly spookiness. I'm not sure about the first photo though, the colours seem slightly odd. But overall, a nice set of photos, especially for a first attmept with a new camera. Well done :)

I totally agree with OON on this one, I must admit I am often one of those who gives a complement on photos I like without going into much detail. I can see that isn't really much use so I will make sure in future that I take the time to explain what I like or even don't like about photos.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Whoa....peace man, where has all the love gone in the photography thread!

I do agree with Oon that at face value, a lot of pic comments are banal, but and there is always a but, I love photography, I've just gotten into it, but I know virtually nothing about it, and compared with many other posters, my photo's are rubbish, but if someone comments 'nice pic' and means it, then I feel that I must be doing something right....I've been guilty of using the comment 'nice pic', but this is because I look at a pic, and It has the 'wow' factor, I dont neccessarily know why I like it, I just know that I do, but I cant put it in words...I still comment though, because it will give the poster encouragement to continue posting photo's......If anyone asked me technical questions about my photo's, I wouldnt have a clue, but if people 'slammed' my efforts time after time, I would be stuck posting in 'banter' for the rest of my life!

One mans rembrandt is another mans stick drawing...

Just my two cents....I'll shut up now :rolleyes:

Posted

Well i dare say having always wanted to post photos on here being a relative newbie this has definatley put me off. Maybe you pro's out there should have a more serious photo thread where you can pick bits off each other until you feel happy .

Personally i like to view any photos where people feel they would like to share them with me and others just to see there efforts and i do agree its nice to say where and when they were taken .

I dont care wether your photo's are under exposed , overexposed or not i just like to see them and maybe like i said a more seroius photo thread to rip the crap out of them .

Please encourage new posters a bit more !!

Posted

And where is anyone wanting to "rip the crap" out of anyone's photos? How many times do I have to say I'm not bothered about quality, but I would like some purpose behind posting photos, otherwise you might as well get a Flickr account etc or use one of the free galleries provided here at Netweather.

Personally, I don't think I want to encourage new posters by providing an area without any structure or meaningful purpose. We are, after all, a weather forum and this is, don't forget, a weather photography area.

I honestly do wonder sometimes if this is more about personalities than anything else.

Posted

For once I agree with OON. Over the last few months the photography thread has become cluttered with thread after thread of 'snaps'. I love taking photographs but am certainly no expert and wouldn't dream of cluttering the section up unless I truely believed people wanted to see my photos and I wasn't just after an ego boost. Maybe a new 'general thread' where people can post their latest picture rather than so many seperate threads would work? Some people produce some absolutely stunning work but this does tend to get lost and forced down the list by the more mediocre stuff.

I also agree about the comments in threads. The same people making the same two word comment is not in anyway useful. Perhaps though this is because posting in this area adds to peoples post count? I believe achieving your next thousand posts matters to some people.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
For once I agree with OON. Over the last few months the photography thread has become cluttered with thread after thread of 'snaps'.

You calling my photo's just snaps :rolleyes:

Posted

Got to agree with a lot of comments and perhaps reiterate what it says at the top of the thread:

The threads and posts within this forum area are 'pruned' on a regular basis - if you wish to keep a more permanent record of your photography on net-weather, please also post your shots into the gallery

Looks like some saving and pruning to be done to keep everyone happy :D

Posted
You calling my photo's just snaps :D
why didn't you choose this line to pick a quote from????
Some people produce some absolutely stunning work

Posted

Totally agree with Sarah (Flaggy) The Photography section should like the Weather Photo Competition be Split into a Sub Forum with

a, Weather Shots

b, Anything else that does not constitute Weather

I like seeing all manner of Photos but would be more drawn to a Heading saying "Thunderstorm Shots" Than a Nice Walk along the Canal for instance.

Yes I would look at the Canal Walk shots but as I am massively into Weather shots my preference would be the Weather Ones.

Paul S

Posted
why didn't you choose this line to pick a quote from????

Because i didn't want to , who dictates what are snaps and what is stunning?

I like seeing all manner of Photos but would be more drawn to a Heading saying "Thunderstorm Shots" Than a Nice Walk along the Canal for instance.

But a nice walk along the canal can also be weather related - Good weather

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Neil, its called having an opinion

Posted
Neil, its called having an opinion

I know what its called i'll post it differently... but again who dictates what is stunning and what isn't for a photo not to be posted ? . Not every photographer on this forum knows how to do light metering , AF , shutter speeds let people post what they wan't to post if you don't like the shots don't reply in it!

Don't get me wrong i kinda understand where oon is coming from but personally his attitude sucks a big one , there is a far better way to put things across.. Perhaps some smilies would help?

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Yes iM glad Ozz made this comment..As a beginner of phography ive often bypassed the phography section.Apart from storm shots

Because of exactly what Ozz is on about.

Some pics are great to look at...but others are plain boring....Yes I know everyone as different tastes but it would be more interesting if we had more info on how a shot was configured settings ect......

Some one commented on one of my lovely beach shots in January...Saying that it containned alot of noise ect....

As a beginner I didnt have a clue what they were on about.....But the constructed critism led me to other places to make sure I dont get any more noise in my photos...

well said Ozz

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
For once I agree with OON. Over the last few months the photography thread has become cluttered with thread after thread of 'snaps'. I love taking photographs but am certainly no expert and wouldn't dream of cluttering the section up unless I truely believed people wanted to see my photos and I wasn't just after an ego boost. Maybe a new 'general thread' where people can post their latest picture rather than so many seperate threads would work? Some people produce some absolutely stunning work but this does tend to get lost and forced down the list by the more mediocre stuff.

I also agree about the comments in threads. The same people making the same two word comment is not in anyway useful. Perhaps though this is because posting in this area adds to peoples post count? I believe achieving your next thousand posts matters to some people.

Good idea that......What do the admin team think? as long as we dont lose sight of the fact, as Oon rightly said, this is a weather forum...not a pro photography forum (plenty of those elsewhere on the world wide web)....Stunning photos do get lost in the shuffle, so a seperate thread for them is a great idea.....lets face it, pics of your mothers new kitten, or latest graveyard selection do have a place here in the forum, and are amazing to look at, but need to have their own (pinned?) thread

hehe, liked your last point, and was waiting for someone to say it....lol.......hang on, thats my next 500 posts b*ggered then.... :D

Posted

But a nice walk along the canal can also be weather related - Good weather

But the pictures of the Boats are NOT weather related, Why not have a Sub Forum for these pictures of Dogs, Cats and other things, Weather Photography should be just that, Clouds, Rainbows etc

You have massively missed my point Neil

Posted

Well have two sections then...

Snap shots

&

Experienced photographers

:D

But the pictures of the Boats are NOT weather related,

15.jpg

14.jpg

Are these weather related? , the purpose of those shots are to show the beach on a nice day... However they have clouds in them so weather? :)

Posted
Because i didn't want to , who dictates what are snaps and what is stunning? But a nice walk along the canal can also be weather related - Good weather
the person looking at the photo i would assume. and then using their judgement to form an opinion.

the whole crux of the matter is that OON has simply said that the posting of photo's without any sort of information, and the subsequent replies of "nice pics....." (of which i am very guilty of doing, i hasten to add), is not making the photography thread good reading. as for the quality/content/quantity of posting. well as Coast reiterates, the posts are pruned occaisionally.

but there is one thing i would like to ask; if you post your snaps here, are you not looking for all types of feedback?? whether negative or positive?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I'm sure no-one is going to "rip the crap" out of someone's photos. If the photo could be better then surely constructive criticism is better than "nice pics" surely? Everyone wins. And if the photos are brilliant then surely it would be better to say why so the photographer knows what they are doing right?

A weather photo section and "other" section would be good IMO, I like to see all photos but naturally some will prefer to see weather photos but these often get pushed down by other miscellaneous photos.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
as long as we dont lose sight of the fact, as Oon rightly said, this is a weather forum...not a pro photography forum (plenty of those elsewhere on the world wide web

Absolutely true. I do think some people use it as an opportunity to show off their latest work when a dedicated photography forum would be more appropriate. As has been said this is a weather forum first and foremost.

I also don't believe that it should be about who is the most professional photographer, who has got all the technical know-how or who has the best camera. It should be about weather (and related topics), constructive advice, and learning. Being a little more selective in what you post would go a long way.

Posted
Well have two sections then...

Snap shots

&

Experienced photographers

:D

15.jpg

14.jpg

Are these weather related? , the purpose of those shots are to show the beach on a nice day... However they have clouds in them so weather? :)

You tell me, Would you enter them into the Weather Section or the Non weather Section for the Monthly Competition.

I know which area I would enter them into??

Over to you

Posted

I'll refer everyone to the title of this section again:

Weather Photography

Forum for posting and discussing primarily weather photography, although feel free to also post other nature/space/science photos here as well.

I guess you can post anything applicable in that general area, but don't be upset if it gets pruned by the team that run the forum, thats what they are there for. Perhaps we would have self imposed quality control, if posts in the weather section didn't count against the overall posting score - exactly as in the lounge?

Posted
We are, after all, a weather forum and this is, don't forget, a weather photography area.

I think that is something that does get forgotten at times, even by me. We do have soo many talented photographer on Netweather and it's only natural to want to show of their talents, just needs to be done in moderation.

I personally think there would be no benefit to a different section for experienced photographers, there are plenty of photography forums out there, it would be better for the novice photographers to benefit from the experienced ones and not to be segregated, no one would learn that way.

Posted
You tell me, Would you enter them into the Weather Section or the Non weather Section for the Monthly Competition.

I know which area I would enter them into??

Over to you

Weather :D

I personally think there would be no benefit to a different section for experienced photographers, there are plenty of photography forums out there, it would be better for the novice photographers to benefit from the experienced ones and not to be segregated, no one would learn that way.

I was being humorus ( notice the smiley ) .... Besides i post on talk photography anyway and they will give you feedback good or bad lol

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
Weather :D

And if you had 4 pictures for the month of March and they were

a, the above

b, A Rainbow over the Reculver Castle

c, Lightning over Herne

d, Snow on the Beach

You only have 3 to choose from for the WEATHER Competition, which would you leave out Neil ??