Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Some photo's taken with my new Canon 400

Posted
I personally think there would be no benefit to a different section for experienced photographers, there are plenty of photography forums out there, it would be better for the novice photographers to benefit from the experienced ones and not to be segregated, no one would learn that way.

Absolutely agree. There is no place for elitism. Also in some cases I don't see that experience matters. You can be taking photos for years and still they can be bland and contrived and some of the more 'experienced' photographers would also benefit from constructive criticism. Many of the 'novices' take stunning photos simply because they are not trying so hard and aren't being constrained by technicalities.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
And if you had 4 pictures for the month of March and they were

a, the above

b, A Rainbow over the Reculver Castle

c, Lightning over Herne

d, Snow on the Beach

You only have 3 to choose from for the WEATHER Competition, which would you leave out Neil ??

ug tough choice , probably the snow on the beach unless it contained the sky with some nice snowy clouds

Posted
ug tough choice , probably the snow on the beach unless it contained the sky with some nice snowy clouds

:D You obviously still do not get my Point, At this stage I give up with you

The Clue was In the wording, Rainbow (Weather) Lightning (Weather) Snow (Weather)

Will steer clear from this area until it gets sorted

Posted

Ouch seems tension is high from the staff today , think i'll stick with putting my photo's on PHOTOGRAPHY areas and not here...

Sorry kelly you had to put up with it today :D

Posted

Just my £0.02 worth as a completely poo photographer:

Assuming the photography section stays as is:

1. I've seen on other bulletin boards a facility whereby users can click on a button on the post starter's info that will add a 'kudos' vote or maybe a 'thanks' vote to the thread. Maybe we could have one of these on here that might alleviate peoples need to just blandly post 'nice pics' all the time.

2. Turning off the post counter (as per the banter threads) may also help here.

3. Amongst the site maintainers I would have thought that there would be someone who could write some BB code to prevent posts that contain less than, say, 30 words. This could be applied to this section and would force the original poster to write some words re the photos and then the subsequent comments would also require some meaning.

It might not be technically possible any of this but I just think if it was it would make life a lot easier and make the section more tidy and readable.

Wysi :D

Posted

Great post wysiwyg!

Posted

shouldnt we just have a simple statement like...time,date,settings ect.......then people can say if they wont to air there opinon on how wrong the settings were.or good....ect....then you get good info and not just a photo album.....like other people have mentioned as there are plenty of pics out there....Am I being to technical,

I think this is a good point.. :D

Posted

1. I've seen on other bulletin boards a facility whereby users can click on a button on the post starter's info that will add a 'kudos' vote or maybe a 'thanks' vote to the thread. Maybe we could have one of these on here that might alleviate peoples need to just blandly post 'nice pics' all the time.

3. Amongst the site maintainers I would have thought that there would be someone who could write some BB code to prevent posts that contain less than, say, 30 words. This could be applied to this section and would force the original poster to write some words re the photos and then the subsequent comments would also require some meaning.

It might not be technically possible any of this but I just think if it was it would make life a lot easier and make the section more tidy and readable.

Wysi :)

That's it! well done Fizzy wig. :D

A little bit of tweaking with the post not counting in this thread, combined with a bit of regular spring cleaning and then posters that want a more permanent record, put them in their own gallery where comments can be added by others as appropriate.

I am a very amateur photographer hoping one day to get the one decent shot I can be proud of. If you put them in your own gallery, link back on here to showcase them (even closed for comment) and every month the team spring clean then surely that wraps up the whole issue doesn't it?

I just like to see everyone happy (perhaps that's my failing :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Wysi :)

Morning wizzy fig!.....points 1 & 2 definitely....point 3 could be hard to sort out...as mentioned earlier, pants amateurs like myself, dont always know why we like a particular picture, we just do, hence a 'lovely pic' or 'nice pic'....I would like though the power to say that if I want to...I look at eg some of neil's work and kelly's and think that they're top notch, just dont ask me to explain why....also to paraphrase my earlier post, if someone posted, 'so AJ how did you take that photo, what setting, antriscopic filtering jargon jargon did you use?'.....my answer would be 'eh?......do you speak english?, ask me one on the FA cup!'...I wouldnt be much use :D

Posted

I don't think post count is an issue here. If it were that people just wanted to up there post count and we restricted it in this section, they would just find another section they could go to up it.

Posted
think i'll stick with putting my photo's on PHOTOGRAPHY areas and not here...

I still stick by what I think would be a good move forward in this area and that is to have 2 Sub Forums, One for WEATHER Photography and another for all OTHER Shots.

If i am reading into this right Neil and you think Kelly has been the Victim of Bullying from the Mod Team you are surely mistaken, I often Pm Kelly and talk about Photography with her, Maybe we should not be at 4 pages of replies from her Pictures with her new Camera and a seperate Thread should have been started, some very good replies from the majority and some great ideas to move this forward.

Paul S

Posted
I just like to see everyone happy (perhaps that's my failing :) )

Aww bless - me too :D

Take your point about 3 AJ - maybe I was just overthinking it a little too much there :)

@Louby - agreed but at least it would make this section a bit better. Who would be a mod eh :)

Posted
I still stick by what I think would be a good move forward in this area and that is to have 2 Sub Forums, One for WEATHER Photography and another for all OTHER Shots.

If i am reading into this right Neil and you think Kelly has been the Victim of Bullying from the Mod Team you are surely mistaken,

Paul S

Well not just the mod team but anyway , lets move forward and hope better things come of this :D

Posted
Who would be a mod eh :D

I would just like to start a thread that has so many replies :)

I suspect we will see it slimmed down shortly and as it has provoked such conversation, perhaps the relevant posts could be put into a new photo posting discussion thread?

Although in honesty, I guess that's why we have the forum council - time to contact the purple people with our views to improve?

Posted
I don't think post count is an issue here. If it were that people just wanted to up there post count and we restricted it in this section, they would just find another section they could go to up it.

I'm sure some people would go elsewhere to spam but you have to admit it is incredibly easy in this section to simply post a two word response to every thread. All this does it make it more difficult to find the genuinely useful comments. As OON said if we review the posts lately patterns will evolve. It detracts from the quality of the section but if the team are happy with this then so be it :D

Posted
I'm sure some people would go elsewhere to spam but you have to admit it is incredibly easy in this section to simply post a two word response to every thread. All this does it make it more difficult to find the genuinely useful comments. As OON said if we review the posts lately patterns will evolve. It detracts from the quality of the section but if the team are happy with this then so be it :)

you are right, but I was referring to people who create the original threads and not those who reply, should have made myself clearer, obviously I am a bit out of focus this morning....

Posted
you are right, but I was referring to people who create the original threads and not those who reply, should have made myself clearer, obviously I am a bit out of focus this morning....

lol, no worries :)

I will overlook the atrocious pun :)

Posted
lol, no worries :)

I will overlook the atrocious pun ;)

Why how kind of you Flaggle :)

is it snowing in london yet??
:) behave.

Posted

My, god what has happened to my thread, all i wanted to do was share some of my

photos like i have done for years on here.

I can see everyones points. as everyone has there own opinion on how they feel

about something. As with photography what photo might be stunning to one person

may not to another, eveyone has different tastes as with everything in life.

If ten people walked in to a gallery not all ten people are gonna to like the

same photo, for each indivaidul reasons.

First of all i would like to ask why this thread was chosen to bring this subject

up as over the past few days quite a few new threads have been started with members

showing there photos off, why chose this one?

As someone said a few pages back, if every photo posted was given a true comment, expext for

" nice pic" etc, then i think they would be scared to death to post another photo,

people learn by this but its can also be very off putting.

Having a thread for just general photo's that can be shown with just normal comments should be set up,

and then have one for people willing to have there photo comment more indepth, as this will help

people to learn where they have gone wrong etc, not every one is perfect and this how i learn, but u have to

give the person the option of this.

Going back to my photos, yes they have been edited quite a lot, maybe i did it all wrong, who knows,

but i wanted to do something " different" with my photo,s.

As i said if there was a thread decated to people wanting full depth comments etc, i would be able to

get some advise to see where i was going wrong.

I am first to admit, i still have a lot to learn and i am never gonna be a " david bailey"

Everyone has there own way of doing photography.

My main intrest in photography is weather photography, one of the main reason of joining

net weather. I enjoy sharing my work, nothing wrong with that.

Posted

I think this thread should have all the posts that don't relate directly to Kelly's photos moved into another thread in fairness to Kelly :)

Posted
I think this thread should have all the posts that don't relate directly to Kelly's photos moved into another thread in fairness to Kelly :)

Me too Sorry Kelly F

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Trying to bring things back on topic ...........

Kelly,

Did you use any filters on these shots. I've just got a plain UV filter on my Nikon D80 DSLR mainly for lens protection and have a circ. Polorising Filter which I use at times. I know you can change the effects with the cameras on board software or with external Software but I prefer to see the effects thru' the lens. Have you tried using Neutral density filters as I've thought about buying some of those?

Well have two sections then...

Snap shots

&

Experienced photographers

:)

15.jpg

14.jpg

Are these weather related? , the purpose of those shots are to show the beach on a nice day... However they have clouds in them so weather? :)

nice pics Niel :);):)

But seriously there have been some well constructed points on both sides of this erm....chat.I personaly am talentless and possibly colour blind but enjoy the challenge of jumping in the 4x4 and heading up the hills at the first sign of sleet!I find it interesting to post immages of current weather pictures as a record of local conditions and because it is afterall a weather site.As mentioned the solution is simple split it into three categories,weather,art,miscellaneous.I disagree with a premiership of photographers as the learners like me benefit massively from their know- how.Nw is fortunate to have hugely talented photographic artists amongst it's ranks and I think that Oons original point is valid re:banal praise but would be a mute point if sections were to be split as i wouldn't give a hoot if someone said they thought my blizzard shot was a bit fuzzy as I'd post back "you stand here and do better!".....but equally if I saw a rather good sunset in the art section I should be allowed to thank that person in any way I see fit........not have to form a 30 word essay.