Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Some photo's taken with my new Canon 400

Posted

Kelly there are some parts of your post I cannot possibly answer or comment but I am sure the parts I can't answer will be at some point by others who are in the know.

As someone said a few pages back, if every photo posted was given a true comment, expext for

" nice pic" etc, then i think they would be scared to death to post another photo,

people learn by this but its can also be very off putting.

I for one, would so rather someone tell me my picture is rubbish than someone just saying 'nice pics' to be nice or seen as being nice, that way I could try and improve rather than just stagnate in my photography. I am of course assuming that people would actually give good constructive criticism and not just trashing a pic for the sake of it or because you do not like the person etc. If constructive criticism was given I cannot see how that would be off putting. Maybe when people post they could put whether they want feed back or not, although I am sure that is why people do post , they want either feed back or praise for their work, if they didn't there really wouldn't be any point in them posting.

I am first to admit, i still have a lot to learn and i am never gonna be a " david bailey"

Everyone has there own way of doing photography.

Surely that should be Davina Bailey :) and why couldn't you be, everyone has the potential to be, if you have a good eye for a photograph and learn from your mistakes and are prepared to take criticism along with the praise, then why not!

You are right everyone has their own style or way of photographing, and no way is wrong or right, I too am still learning, even to the point I am still trying to learn how to use my camera to it full potential.

My main intrest in photography is weather photography, one of the main reason of joining

net weather. I enjoy sharing my work, nothing wrong with that.

As do we all.

Posted

Good Points Kelly

And In fairness will endevour to start a New Thread and Sift out the off-topicness in the next 10 minutes or So

Paul S

Posted
Trying to bring things back on topic ...........

Kelly,

Did you use any filters on these shots. I've just got a plain UV filter on my Nikon D80 DSLR mainly for lens protection and have a circ. Polorising Filter which I use at times. I know you can change the effects with the cameras on board software or with external Software but I prefer to see the effects thru' the lens. Have you tried using Neutral density filters as I've thought about buying some of those?

Hi,

No fliter were used on these photo's. I do own a uv fliter and have thought about investing in some, but the chocies are endless, I did find a good programme which gives all the same flittered affects without buying the lenes - it called Tiffex DFX

I havent tried the Natural Density filters, but would like to :)

Going back to my photos, maybe i should have posted before and after photos, so someone could have guided me to show me where i went wrong, only a idea

Posted
Going back to my photos, maybe i should have posted before and after photos, so someone could have guided me to show me where i went wrong, only a idea

That I think would be a great idea Kelly! might be able to show the benefits of enhancing etc :)

Hi,

No fliter were used on these photo's. I do own a uv fliter and have thought about investing in some, but the chocies are endless, I did find a good programme which gives all the same flittered affects without buying the lenes - it called Tiffex DFX

I havent tried the Natural Density filters, but would like t

What precisely makes you feel you went wrong?I would find that fascinating purely as an educational

excercise for me to see how these procedures work.

Edited by hannegan

Posted

This photo, i just chnaged the Rgb levels to get the desired effect.

new_ca10.jpg

best_110.jpg

This photo, i just put through a warmify mask through picasa 2

new_ca11.jpg

best_210.jpg

This one was taken in sepia through my camera settings, was just having a play around with the different settings.

new_ca12.jpg

This one was only sharpen a little using picasa 2

new_ca13.jpg

best_f10.jpg

This one was cropped, to remove some unwanted grass on the photo, i upped the saturation, to enriched the blue in the sky, I rasied the

shawdows to darker the trees, and then i sharpen it..

new_ca14.jpg

best_f11.jpg

This one as above but not so high

new_ca15.jpg

best_s10.jpg

And the last one was done by using the canon software, digital photo professional.

I played around with the RGB image adjustment.

How to do this:- upload photo into the digital photo professional, click on tone curbe adjustments,

make sure RGB is highlighted and then move the highlighted levels to the required postion to get the affect you require.

new_ca16.jpg

best_s11.jpg

All photo, were then run through photo, so i could add my name along the bottom of each photo.

Hope this all makes sense.

If any one wishes to have a better atempt at these photo's then go ahead, let me know how it was done and

i can learn from it. :)

Thank you for that run through kelly it was fascinating reading.Personaly i do prefer the enhanced photos,it's rather like watching a film and not having the special effects otherwise.If it can be done why not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

They seem good and clear Kelly, I presume all works well with your 400d. perhaps you could review it for Net-weather.

Are you keeping your 350d as a spare body, or trading in for more glass :D

Decided on my next two photography targets b/w:- 1dmk3 and EF400 f2.8 IS usm, can't afford them so I'll have to work overtime all summer, unless of course I catch a picture of great interest to the press, in which case I'll take it easy all summer and buy them anyway :)

Found some good spots in Freshwater and surrounding area for storm shots, and some mega sunset/sunrise spots.

Shan't post any pics until I get the PC back next week .

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
nice informitive post....Kelly how did you put your flashy name on it..what programme as canon hasnt got that facility

Canon software does have the facility.

When u uploaded the software cd that come with your camers, there is a programme called, zoom brower Ex,

This programme hold all you photo in files that u have uploaded them into, open the photo, you wish to write on. double click on it, and along the top menu bar will be a section called " edit " on the drop dpwn menu click on insert text.

Select the area you wish to have the text, including the font and colour and then type and press ok , and there you go u have text on your photo. press save as, and u now have two copies one with text and one with out.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Very nice set of pics but the 5th one down is by far my favourite. The trees look stunning silhouted against the blue sky-lovely...