Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

lightning trigger

Posted

Does anyone own a Lightning trigger on here?

i finally have one with a canon xti.....just wondering what settings you use for best results.....espeacially daytime....

I ve been playing around with M and Tv settings on a plasma light with good results....any tips if you own one

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Not specifically for lightning (photoelectric) triggers, but some great pointers for taking photos of lightning on Michael Baths interesting site here:

www.lightningphotography.com

Hope it helps, I'm learning too!

Posted
Not specifically for lightning (photoelectric) triggers, but some great pointers for taking photos of lightning on Michael Baths interesting site here:

www.lightningphotography.com

Hope it helps, I'm learning too!

thanks Coast.....yea good site...but Im looking for anyone else out there whos got a lightning trigger......I just got it over the weekend after ordering it from the states back in December!!!!!!!...

I would like to get it right first time if I can as we dont get many storms in the boring Uk...

Tested it on a Plasma light that flickered on and off with good results.But looking for anyone who had first hand use out of them in a real storm....I know its a long shot!!!!

Anyone in the States out there with one???

As they are more popular there

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Do you mean the Cable Release Pat ??

I have one of those and it works fantastically Well!!

Posted

yes :):):D:) you have one

ps Paul youve exposed my real name lol

what setting do you use it on...day light...is it the same setting as for night......as I know it sorts the meter out automaticly

I thought it would only be the americans with them :)

Is it TV setting you use Paul with it for best results..

Paul to make sure we are on to the same thing.....its here http://lightningtrigger.com/

Paul I have the release cable also...plus infra red remote...now I have this lightning trigger....Thinking of next years Tornadoes storms ect.....This year I can get good at taking pics...then Tornadoe Valley watch out!!!

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Night-Time shots are best with it on me 350D

I set it to F8 for Lightning bolts that are in the 3-5 Mile Range and it exposes them from a Manual Setting (Set the Camera Setting to "M")

Had a few bolts land in the 1/2 Mile to 2 Mile range and you want a High F Stop on these, have caught a few on F18-F22.

When the Storm is Distant you need a low F Number, my lowest on my 18-55mm Lens is about F3.5, but have bought a new 10-22mm Lense and will have a practise this year in the USA.

Daytime with the Cable Release is a No-No as far as I have found, your best bet is Sport Mode with continous shooting with an active Storm on Auto Focus. But Daytime Lightning Photography is like winning the Lottery

Paul S

**Just seen your Edit And no this is not the same thing :D Although I am Very Interested in that Now :)

Posted

cheers Paul I will print that out as I know you have first hand experience on this sort of thing...Sport mode thats got to be TV....the icon of a Bicycle...

Cheers mate...realy cant wait for all the storm chase pics...Realy hope you get some seroiuse stuff..good luck

lol...just seen you r post edit.....worth getting Paul.....Testing it on a Plasma Ball....caught every part of the plasma bolts...harder to figure how to use in daylight...Word of caution....they have a long waiting list...expect anything from 6 weeks to 3 months......Mine was held up in customs for ages before I could have it.....so in fairness 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Edited by dogs32