Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cefn Croes - Welsh Wind

Posted

A selection of the huge number of photos I took in and around the Cefn Croes wind farm in Mid Wales (south of Pumlumon) - the UK's largest onshore wind farm project - over the past 3 days.

It was officially opened June 2005 and there are 39 giant turbines generating 58.5MW scattered over 7.5km2 Some of the land on which it is built is cleared forestry and many of the roads are enlarged former forestry roads and farm tracks.

http://www.power-technology.com/projects/cefn_croes/

Wales020308010r.jpg

The view from Nant Rhys bothy where I stayed - the hum of the turbines was permanently in the background

Wales040308020r.jpg

Wales040308041r.jpg

This gives an idea of scale. Under the base is a huge foundation of concrete.

Wales040308045r.jpg

One of the giant cranes used to erect the turbines (and the reason access roads are so wide)

Wales040308050r.jpg

Wales040308058r.jpg

Wales040308062r.jpg

In addition to the roads and turbines, there's also a big electricity sub station (visible to the right of the turbines) situated at around 1500ft on what used to be open moor. Pumlumon, the highest hill in Mid Wales and source of the Severn and Wye, is the range of hills in the background.

Wales040308075r.jpg

Posted

Nice pics, don't mention wind turbines around these parts though, or they will call for your head to be chopped off!! Personally though, I don't mind them at all!

Posted

Nice pics Essan. That can't be far from the road from Llanidloes to Machyllynlleth (the one over the top through Dylife), that I used to use when driving. An incredibly beautiful area. The view from the top of the road, before the descent into Mac, looking towards Cader Idris is truly breathtaking.

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yes, good pics, but obviously they would be considerably more beautiful without those environment destroying white elephants spoiling the view.

Posted

I wonder how much energy it takes to create the concrete foundations needed to support those things, compared to their output?

I thought the depth of field in photo 2 was perhaps too harsh.

I wonder how much energy it takes to create the concrete foundations needed to support those things, compared to their output?

I thought the depth of field in photo 2 was perhaps too harsh.

it looked a perfectly lovely field to me!He's picking on the grass now :):)

Posted

Very nice pics and they don't really look that much of an eyesore that everyone makes out but then again they are not on my doorstep and have never seen one in the flesh!

Edited by Albion Snowman