Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Easter 2008

Posted

Although most people's minds at present are on tomorrows storm and rightly so, I thought it would be good to start a new thread on what people think may happen weatherwise this easter, or what they hope will happen.

Easter 2008 is exceptionally early this year, this fact alone would favour colder conditions relative to many previous easters. However, the period from now until mid May is usually the most unpredicatable period of the year and literally can and does bring everything. With it being so early, its a strange one as normally I would wish for pleasant mild dry sunny conditions, useful weather for getting out and about in etc..., however, due to the abymsal lack of snow we have had all winter and how useless christmas was in this respect, and also in view of my expected trends in the weather towards easter, i'm hoping that we will see some snow this easter.

What do others think may happen, like to see happen?

You can use this thread to discuss easter weather of the past etc, memories of easter weather in the past aswell.

Posted

Happy Easter, widespread blizzard (except for the south east)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3242.png

I'm not sure it will be that bad, but it will be colder than average for sure.

Posted

tend to agree with more indications all the time outside gfs suggesting a cold spell setting up early next week

Posted

Not sure - the ECM is nothing special out to 240hrs. The problem I see is that the usual thing is happening. Downgrades always seem to start with delays. This prospective cold spell is actually no closer now then it was 2 days ago. In fact it is in pretty much the same timeframe - around 300hrs. When these charts get into a higher resolution time thats when you will see the nagging shortwaves and spoilers. This is what I fully expect tbh but we wont know for a few days.

Posted

I must say I have mixed feelings about my weather preferences during the easter period, and although the

charts are currently suggesting a colder spell might be likely. I cant help but think to myself that it is all a bit too late

for my liking.....Given the disappointing summer of 2007, I am ready for some warmth to be honest, as although this winter

hasn't been particularly productive in terms of snow, it has been quite cool at times where I live.

Also taking into concideration that I live in an old and draughty house which costs a fortune to heat, and given the current fuel

prices. I would be quite happy if this cold spell didn't materialise.

I'm quite relaxed about this though and will try to enjoy whatever comes my way regardless :)

Brian

Posted
Although most people's minds at present are on tomorrows storm and rightly so, I thought it would be good to start a new thread on what people think may happen weatherwise this easter, or what they hope will happen.

Easter 2008 is exceptionally early this year, this fact alone would favour colder conditions relative to many previous easters. However, the period from now until mid May is usually the most unpredicatable period of the year and literally can and does bring everything. With it being so early, its a strange one as normally I would wish for pleasant mild dry sunny conditions, useful weather for getting out and about in etc..., however, due to the abymsal lack of snow we have had all winter and how useless christmas was in this respect, and also in view of my expected trends in the weather towards easter, i'm hoping that we will see some snow this easter.

What do others think may happen, like to see happen?

You can use this thread to discuss easter weather of the past etc, memories of easter weather in the past aswell.

Was Christmas *that* bad for you? I just remember that wonderful 2 week period beforehand of nibbling easterlies and really cold temperatures, along with the odd hard grass and air frost. I know it shoved off in time for the festive season but was it really all that awful? I seem to remember showery rain preceding the big day, and then quite a cool crisp day itself. Not bad going by previous years!

Cold easters for me are a bit of a waste- in both Hemispheres! Down here it usually coincides with some of the most settled and pleasant weather of the year. With UV indices falling down to about 6 in many places, it's ideal for outdoor activities and the days are long enough for some decent walking.

Up North- Easter is really a celebration of Spring, is it not?

However, I somewhat see your point this year. As it has come so early, snow could make things pretty interesting and worthwhile! Likewise, a final flourish of hot weather wouldn't go amiss in the SH.

Not sure why I'm rambling on anyway...not as if "Mr Weather" will play along!

Posted
Was Christmas *that* bad for you? I just remember that wonderful 2 week period beforehand of nibbling easterlies and really cold temperatures, along with the odd hard grass and air frost. I know it shoved off in time for the festive season but was it really all that awful? I seem to remember showery rain preceding the big day, and then quite a cool crisp day itself. Not bad going by previous years!

Cold easters for me are a bit of a waste- in both Hemispheres! Down here it usually coincides with some of the most settled and pleasant weather of the year. With UV indices falling down to about 6 in many places, it's ideal for outdoor activities and the days are long enough for some decent walking.

Up North- Easter is really a celebration of Spring, is it not?

However, I somewhat see your point this year. As it has come so early, snow could make things pretty interesting and worthwhile! Likewise, a final flourish of hot weather wouldn't go amiss in the SH.

Not sure why I'm rambling on anyway...not as if "Mr Weather" will play along!

From my own judgement it was the poorest christmas since 2002, i spend every christmas in the lake district and always long for cold snowy scenes at least on the hills, this year there was not a trace of snow - just rain rain rain and grey skies and horrible mild, no frost at all- it was poor from this perspective, yes the 2 week spell preceeding it was very festive, but it never made up for the abymsal christmas spell- rant over.

Anyway back to easter - prospects of snow and cold still very much in the offing

Posted

Quite surpised at the low number of messages on this thread - particularly with the potential snowy prospects on offer this easter. If it was christmas looming this thread would be in meltdown.

As I said in my opening message - with easter being so early this year, I'm inclined based on it having greater chance of delivering cold and snowy conditions than if it was in mid april, that this year I will be quite happy if it isn't a mild and sunny affair (which incidentally at this stage it is looking far from being..)

Thinking back to previous easters, the last one with exceptional weather conditions for me was 1998, I think it occured fairly late (2nd week of April), but it was the coldest and snowiest I can remember in my lifetime (I think 1983 beat it, but I was only 4 so i don't remember). Going back to 1998 we saw 5 days starting i think with Good Friday on the trot with morning snow cover - this was in Windermere and each day brought heavy snow showers on and off, interspersed with bright sunshine I think maximum temperature hovered around the 5 or 6 degree mark - showing the coldness of the arctic air.

Do people have other memories of easter weather past?

Posted

Only one occassion I can remember snow lying at Easter. Must have been 7 or 8 years ago. It is getting late in the day so im not supprised many are apprehensive - a poor winter does not help either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At Cleadon, there was lying snow on Easter Sunday 1998- the first lying snow in April I can remember (1989 probably had some as well, but I was only four at the time so can't remember).

Easter 1995 came close, with a warm sunny day on Good Friday (17C), then mostly cool cloudy weather for the rest of the weekend, then a northerly was unleashed for the Tuesday immediately following, with snow showers. The Thursday 20 April had heavy hailstorms and lying hail.

Other than that, I remember Easter 2000 for its traditional April mix of warmth, sun and showers, in an otherwise cool month, which included a thunderstorm late on 20 April.

I don't think white Easters have traditionally been that uncommon. I remember Philip Eden noting that the mostly warm, sunny spring of 1982, for instance, had cold northerly outbreaks coinciding exactly with the Easter and May Day holidays, and there were wintry showers in places in both cases.

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that we will have snow at Easter, there I've said it! This is not through any model watching etc, I'm just a weather enthusiast, but about 2 weeks ago, on a model discussion thread (when these charts first started popping up), I said that I was a great believer in sods law. Why you ask? Well I haven't seen a flake of snow all winter, and next week I fly off to the States. I can guess what's going to happen, It's going to SNOW! Someone take some pictures for me.

Posted
Easter=Chocolate.

Perhaps an egg shaped, perfectly assembled ,high pressure system over Greenland would be handy?

More likely to be a pear-shaped one :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
Into the T+252 range and still looking good, tomorrow is much more interesting as it will come within T+240.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2641.png

Such a scenario would really produce in the likes of Aberdeen!

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
Into the T+252 range and still looking good, tomorrow is much more interesting as it will come within T+240.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2641.png

That scenario looks colder than usual for almost everywhere in Western Europe, not just the UK. Can some kind expert tell me what might be expected for Southern Spain (Malaga/Granada/Orgiva) from such a setup or similar??

Currently 22C and wall to wall sunshine in Malaga at the moment. We will be arriving there next Thursday and heading for Granada and district for Easter ..

Maybe about to miss London's only snow of the 'winter'?

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Now down to T+228

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2282.png

Whether this be rain or snow I do not know.

certainly dont want that chart to come off, it will be too wet, surely nearer the time models will show higher pressure for Easter

easter last year was fantastic lots of sun and warm easter day last year

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
Now down to T+228

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2282.png

Whether this be rain or snow I do not know.

Dreadful Easter all round on that chart, for most of Europe** not just the UK ...

**Southern Spain included, even :lol:

Still, I'll trade a rubbish Easter, even a rubbish March and April all round, for a nice spell of settled summer warmth ... May to September say ... :lol:

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
Dreadful Easter all round on that chart, for most of Europe** not just the UK ...

**Southern Spain included, even :lol:

Still, I'll trade a rubbish Easter, even a rubbish March and April all round, for a nice spell of settled summer warmth ... May to September say ... :lol:

I'll second that but would like it to last until October rather than September. A long hot summer is what we need.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

A long, hot, summer...yeah right, about as likely as a cold, snowy winter. :)

Posted
certainly dont want that chart to come off, it will be too wet, surely nearer the time models will show higher pressure for Easter

easter last year was fantastic lots of sun and warm easter day last year

Last year was great but dont forget that Easter was in April last year not the middle of March