Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Easter 2008

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Maybe slightly off the point but I seem to remember a snowy Easter in 1998 which was around the same time in April as last year. How widespread was the snow then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ay heres the chart for easter 98 www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119980410.gif i remember a bit of snow on good friday 10th April 98

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
At Cleadon, there was lying snow on Easter Sunday 1998

The chart you posted above was indeed Easter Sunday 1998!

Posted
ay heres the chart for easter 98 www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119980410.gif i remember a bit of snow on good friday 10th April 98

That was good friday then it shows april 12th on that chart..... well that was the coldest night here of that very snowy spell at -5c with a bitter north wind that day but it was thawing after the previous days 6inches at 3c with a patchy snow covering.

As for this easter heres a couple of charts firstly from ECM it doesn`t get much better than this. :o ;)

GFS Oz run was a more straightforward potent N-ly with plenty of snow shower potential as the 6z run is more like ECM, and it has to be said looks similar but even colder/better than that 1998 chart yet. ;) the low will probably end up further east but as it`s late March/Spring it can be more unpredictable.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

With the charts looking very similiar to those during easter 1998, do people think we are looking at an equally snowy if not snowier easter than 1998 this year?

Potential to record the coldest and snowiest easter since 1983 still very much in the air.

Posted
With the charts looking very similiar to those during easter 1998, do people think we are looking at an equally snowy if not snowier easter than 1998 this year?

Potential to record the coldest and snowiest easter since 1983 still very much in the air.

damien although there is time to change, i do not think any records will be broken next weekend. imho i think the most likely outcome is several centimetres to higher ground across some parts, with wetter snow and sleet to lower parts. correct me if im wrong, but thats what its shaping up to be. i wish it will change for the better

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
I don't think white Easters have traditionally been that uncommon. I remember Philip Eden noting that the mostly warm, sunny spring of 1982, for instance, had cold northerly outbreaks coinciding exactly with the Easter and May Day holidays, and there were wintry showers in places in both cases.

I think I read somewhere once that in the 20th Century - even the colder phases of it - in the south of the country at least white Easters were commoner than white Christmases.....though I suspect that they were referring to snow falling rather than necessarily lying.

Edited by osmposm

Posted
I think I read somewhere once that in the 20th Century - even the colder phases of it - in the south of the country at least white Easters were commoner than white Christmases.....though I suspect that they were referring to snow falling rather than necessarily lying.

Posted
You'll never guess what the Daily Express are leading with tomorrow morning...

http://www.express.co.uk/img/covers/257x330front/2008-03-17

.......so it won't happen, then!

Regards,

Mike.

Edit: But if it does, it won't be down to their precognitive powers. See Expresses passim.

Edited by Winston

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
A long, hot, summer...yeah right, about as likely as a cold, snowy winter. :huh:

I'd dispute that. Chances of a long hot summer (or at least a summer with much more sunshine and warm spells, featuring regularly) are surely stronger than the chances of a snow dominated winter ....

Posted
.......so it won't happen, then!

Regards,

Mike.

Edit: But if it does, it won't be down to their precognitive powers. See Expresses passim.

Oh dear, that was just what i was predicting on saturday i.e. daily express would have an early feature about the impending weather- however, didn't think it would make headline news, must be a very slow news day. Don't want to read it don't want to jinx things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...
I'd dispute that. Chances of a long hot summer (or at least a summer with much more sunshine and warm spells, featuring regularly) are surely stronger than the chances of a snow dominated winter ....

Possibly but most of the times it will be the same tropical maritime wet mush we get in winter, only a bit milder. Thank God for that incidentally, hot weather does not suit this country at all :doh: