Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lowest pressure recorded on Monday 10th March 2008

Phil UK

Posted

966mb and still falling here. Lowest pressure I can recall reading in a long, long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

951mb here now! Certainly lowest I've ever recorded by far.

Posted

964.3 falling 1.5mb/hr, how much longer are we likely to see this kind of gradient?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

950mb now...

What effects of this sort of low pressure can people notice? I know in high pressure you get headaches and poor tv reception but what about in low pressure?

Posted
I know in high pressure you get headaches and poor tv reception but what about in low pressure?

:D Read this link Bottie: CLICKY

The influence of high altitude upon fertility was noticed a long time ago. Monge (1943) quotes the Foundation Charter of Lima in which it is stated that in 1535 the capital of Peru was transferred from Janja (11,500 ft.) to Lima (sea-level) because

horses, fowls and pigs did not reproduce there. He also recalls Father Catancha's observation (1639) that the Spanish conquerors did not have offspring at Potosi, Bolivia (14,000 ft.) until 58 years after the city was founded.

Dohan (1942) and Gordon, Tornetta, D'Angelo & Charipper (1943) found a decrease in the testis weight and degenerative changes in the testes of rats exposed to low atmospheric pressure.

Posted

Watch the grey clouds pass? Close the curtains early? :D

This thing is sitting right above me! South East should be prepared for rush hour gales.

Darkening skies here in SoliDull but nothing happening weatherwise being in the 'eye' of this storm.

But barometric pressure still at 957Mb/hPa. And to be honest, I don't think that on my own, or this forum have ever reported one as low as that. :)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hi Phil , it bottomed out here at 956.6mb about an hour ago.....now 958.8 and rising.....I'm approx 80m above sea level here

...and absolutely dead calm, no wind at all

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Seems to have just bottomed out at 960.6hpa here in deepest S.Yorks .

Posted
:D Read this link Bottie: CLICKY

hmm was more looking at the more immediate effects! I'd heard about that village where almost no one could go to full term when pregnant as the air pressure is just too low. I doubt they'll be that many miscarriages due to this storm!

Posted

Currently 959.2mb here, which is the lowest Ive ever recorded.

Im not sure what effects the low pressure has, but I slept 8 hours after my night shift instead of 6 if that counts! :D

Posted
Hi Phil , it bottomed out here at 956.6mb about an hour ago.....now 958.8 and rising.....I'm approx 80m above sea level here

...and absolutely dead calm, no wind at all

Hi again AJ.

Same here. Sky briefly clear but looking very dark and sinister to my South and South West.

Low and mid cloud trajectory in the last 90 mintes or so has been SE, S, SW, now all over the place with, and as I type, a heavy shower in progress. Wind blowing again. I'll add some pics to this thread if ok with Paul et al?

Phil. (And where's my sleet?)

Posted
hmm was more looking at the more immediate effects!

Ok, how about this:

Arthritis, headaches, births, pain, memory, violence, mental health, behavioural problems

Researchers have found that slight low-frequency atmospheric pressure can influence human mental activity, causing significant changes in attention span and short-term memory functions. It's long been claimed that osteoarthritis symptoms worsen with the weather, and research at Tufts University in Boston shows this may be linked to both barometric pressure and temperature. And a study at Tokyo Medical University shows that deliveries increase when atmospheric pressure falls, possibly as a result of early breaking of the foetal membranes.

Elsewhere, researchers at the University of Louisville School of Medicine found that acts of violence and emergency psychiatry visits are also linked, while a study of rheumatoid arthritis patients in Spain shows that low pressure and low temperature both increase joint pain. Russian scientists have also reported that low atmospheric pressure can slow mental activity

Now who asked that question again? :D

Source: www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing

Edited by Coast

Posted
No great surprise given that the LP centre is not a million miles from where you are. :D (South Irish Sea as we speak, or type even!)

Phil.

Well yes it wasn`t very far away really but I`ve not seen the glass quite that low as TM said lowest March reading on record and heres the chart great for checking the accuracy of your barometer today 955mbs was the lowest here. :) 957mbs now and a fresh/strong NW-ly.

Posted
Ok, how about this:

<snip>

Now who asked that question again? :D

Source: www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing

Well that explains why I'm sluggish, umotivated and generally useless today! Or could that be the very 'heavy' weekend I just had? Who can say... :)

Posted

Bit disappointed that it bottomed out at 931.9 hPa, and didn't dip below 930. Still, there's always tomorrow night, which promises to be a similar level depression across us :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today's pressure reading of 959.3mb here early this afternoon was only the 5th occasion below 960mb in the last 42 years. The others were 958.3mb on Feb' 25th 1989

..................................958.0mb on Dec' 17th 1989

..................................959.7mb on Jan' 25th 1990 ( The Burns Day storm )

..................................959.5 mb on Oct' 30th 2000.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Today.....956 at 14.00

For the dates Terminal Moraine has given..

25th Feb '89....below 950, possibly around 947

17th December '89...955

25th January '90...954

30th October '00...968

The first three were recorded in mid Bucks, the fourth one here in Dorset.

The other low one is, of course, the '87 storm where my low, again in Bucks, was 950.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My lowest reading was 962 mbs up here. Now 966 mbs with a temp of 3.6C.

Posted

Very interesting TM so very impressive,heres the chart from december 1989 which actually 948mbs crossed the south coast which then had a pressure of 952mbs in london and that was the lowest reading since 1821.

Think it says 953mbs on this.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119890225.gif