Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lowest pressure recorded on Monday 10th March 2008

Phil UK

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Today's pressure reading of 959.3mb here early this afternoon was only the 5th occasion below 960mb in the last 42 years. The others were 958.3mb on Feb' 25th 1989

..................................958.0mb on Dec' 17th 1989

..................................959.7mb on Jan' 25th 1990 ( The Burns Day storm )

..................................959.5 mb on Oct' 30th 2000.

I find it interesting that those 5 occasions have all been in the last 20 years TM. Have you had many near misses to the 960mb mark prior to and since 1989?

I also find it interesting that even though the pressure has been so low that damage has not been more extensive and widespread than reported. I guess that the isobar pressure gradient just wasn't steep enough over the UK for this to occur. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that the jet stream released the storm to the west of Ireland and therefore deepening stopped before it reached us.

I have a feeling that the country had a big let off today and with just a slight change in circumstances the media over hype would have been merited.

c

Posted

interesting reading some pressure values and thencomparing them to the official charts, some barometers perhaps not quite as they should be?

my own showed a low, for a few minutes of 958.0mb, and I'm not sure how that fitted with official values.

Posted

Mine dropped as low as 963mb for a short time earlier this evening, now back up to 969mb and rising quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I find it interesting that those 5 occasions have all been in the last 20 years TM. Have you had many near misses to the 960mb mark prior to and since 1989?

Surprisingly few near misses and all but one of those was in the last 20 years or so.

Here's a list of all the values between 960.0 and 965.0 mb.

960.5mb......Dec' 2nd 1966

960.3mb......March 24th 1986

960.9mb......Oct' 16th 1987

964.1mb......April 1st 1993.

It has to be said that the value in Dec' 1966 is probably accurate to only about 2mb as it was recorded on a non precision aneroid barometer which are notoriously difficult to correct to sea level due to the coarse gradation of the scale, they also tend to drift a bit with time and need re- calibrating.

Posted
interesting reading some pressure values and thencomparing them to the official charts, some barometers perhaps not quite as they should be?

my own showed a low, for a few minutes of 958.0mb, and I'm not sure how that fitted with official values.

Just been through the met office pressure readings for today; http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/obs...ions/index.html

The lowest readings (for England and Wales) are Aberdaron(a beautiful place), Aberforth and Milford Haven which all dipped to 954mb at 1100hrs this morning. Can anyone find an official mainland reading lower than this?

c

Ps thanks TM .Is there any evidence to suggest that extreme pressure variations are becoming more common I wonder.

Posted

Out of interest does anyone know what the lowest pressure recorded in England and Wales this last week has been and how does this compare to pressure records say in the last 50 years?