Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meteorological Definitions

Posted

There is plenty to discover in the Net Weather Guides but its not, nor is any single site, the definitive one.

Over the years on N W I have recommended one site in particular. It was maintained by an ex colleague from the UK Met Office, Martin Rowley.as a member of uk.sci.weather. He has recently passed this job over to Steve Loft at this link

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/42

it is a list from A-Z and should satisfy most requests for meteorological information.

Do be careful if you use Wilkipedia as it is not always checked fully. Usually there is not any problem but I would recommend the first site before using Wilkipedia.

As an ex forecaster in the UK Met O I have recently acquired copies of their Forecasters Reference Book, albeit about 8 years since it was updated, so if anyone wants further information then please pm me and I will see if I can dig out the necessary reference.

a few days agi LR passed the site given below to me; it looks to be a reliable one so I am adding it to the list, thanks Paul

http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary

the link below gives an A-Z list of abbreviations from NOAA, not all of them but a good many, so most you see used on the forum will be in here

NOAA_explanations_of_abbreviations_etc.doc

John Holmes

Edited by johnholmes

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2