Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe storm Kent July 07

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if some members remember a severe storm in Kent and east sussex in July last year.

Anyway I know it was ages ago but I found a bit of footage I managed to capture, There is a bit of lightning and distant thunder but the main point of the vid was to capture the amazing anvil of this storm. Hope it comes through ok.

Clicky for storm

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Quite an impressive anvil on that storm Colin as you scan around, quite a bit of lightning pulsating in the storm too. Unfortunately I was up in Scotland the weekend it came through, otherwise I would have chased it - as it was a supercell at one point as it landed across E Sussex and south Kent - with an impressive shelf cloud, large hail and sightnings of a weak tornado near Hastings.

Hopefully more of these this summer please :nonono:

Posted
Quite an impressive anvil on that storm Colin as you scan around, quite a bit of lightning pulsating in the storm too. Unfortunately I was up in Scotland the weekend it came through, otherwise I would have chased it - as it was a supercell at one point as it landed across E Sussex and south Kent - with an impressive shelf cloud, large hail and sightnings of a weak tornado near Hastings.

Hopefully more of these this summer please ;)

Yep is was a real beauty! Shame you missed it, mind you you would see better in the states but maybe not much better in this country.

I remember that it was quite high based and there was quite a bit of doubt over those tornado sightings if I recall. Was it ever confirmed?

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a supercell for a while. The shear size of it was awaesome, the video doesn't do it justice but if you think that the anvil was way over my head in Ashford, east Kent, and the base of this storm was somewhere over east sussex. Prbably just north east of Rye at this point. This should give some sense of scale.

Posted

I have a Radar Grab from that Supercell from 830 - 9pm radar but it will not let me upload it ;) As it is a Bitmap File!

Remember the cell went along the coast from Near Brighton eastwards past Seaford, further along the coast it did a Left Split (Indicative of Supercells) near Hastings, came ashore near Rye and then moved Northwards towards Canterbury, it was dropping Golf Ball Sized Hailstones, it then lost it's Supercellular Appearance South of Canterbury and when I saw it near the North Kent Coast it was just a HP Multi Cell Storm that was starting to die as it neared the Essex Storm Shield.

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I recall seeing distant flashes from that one, so it was rather large ;)

Posted
I have a Radar Grab from that Supercell from 830 - 9pm radar but it will not let me upload it ;) As it is a Bitmap File!

Uploaded some of the radar images from Sunday evening 15th July '07 from the NW archive of the storm which hit the E Sussex coast around Eastbourne - then right moved along the coast then headed towards Ashford area:

post-1052-1205676836_thumb.png post-1052-1205676848_thumb.png post-1052-1205676860_thumb.png

No storm for many miles around - so it had a lot of moisture and warmth to feed off! No wonder it was a beast.

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

There was 2 storms in July 2007 that I captured, one was on the 3rd July 2007 at around 3pm.. it travelled along the north kent coast traveling ESE, the photo's I have are from Sittingbourne & Detling hill looking towards the isle of sheppy.. (see photos)

The other storm I got was on the 9th July 2007, took some footage on my mobile..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6fr9W8iCzRY

post-3362-1205678238_thumb.jpg

post-3362-1205678261_thumb.jpg

post-3362-1205678281_thumb.jpg

post-3362-1205678301_thumb.jpg

post-3362-1205678325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sugar79

Posted

I actually knew this storm was coming straight for me as the radar looked impressive and went onto the seafront to watch it some in. I had no idea how decent this storm would be as it moved further along the coast. I have previously uploaded a photo or two of the approaching anvil as seen in its own thread...you'll find most of the photos I took with my camera phone below. The anvil was very impressive - I remember it being overheard and it seemed huge. For me this was probably a once in a lifetime storm - it didn't seem that bad at first as its outer edge made landfall on Eastbourne seafront with a who load of rain. However I do remember a suspicious darker area about a mile out racing up the sea (you can see this in the bottom of photo number 5). What was strange was the change in air behind the storm and a eerie sea mist quickly moving in.

The previous time a possible Supercell crossed my area was May 2003 - that did produce a tornado and some very large unusual hail...I was driving and it was amazing see all these hedges and trees stripped of leaves and twigs

Thanks for posted that vid and to Nick for those radar images ;)

post-143-1205679356_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679379_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679470_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679487_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679513_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679530_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679546_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679575_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679592_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679610_thumb.jpg

post-143-1205679633_thumb.jpg

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure there was a specific thread on this storm at the time. I've had a look around but can't seem to find anything other than convective discussion thread. If anyone has a link to it it would be great for those people dipping in to this thread.

Thanks

Posted
Thanks very much Paul :good:

Edit Just read the first page. I promised to upload that footage about 8 months back. Better late than never! :doh: :lol:

I do have more to put on but it really needs editing as there are long periods of inactivity.

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

It actually struck land a few hundred yards from Tamara G's house in Westfield, just east of Hastings and was one hell of an evening as Mr CB will confirm as he observed it coming along our seafront. Should have got in my car and chased it but I have only really been fired up recently by Paul (The Shermanator) S's enthusiasm - I won't miss one again and will offer a lift to neighbours Callie and Mr CB next time!

Who would have thought I was living in Tornado alley?

Edited by Coast

Posted

Ah yes I remember this well, there was a lot of 'crap' ahead of this storm, mainly altocu and various bits of congesting cumulus, but i remember all your reports of an insane storm and the tense radar watching, and the sky slowly turned mushy black to my South East. As the storm tracked up through Kent out of an opening in the clouds to me ESE, I saw an absolutely amazing thunderhead with an overshooting top being lit up by the last rays of sunlight, and red lightning bolts were jumping all over the place inside the anvil as well!

Thanks for the great pictures and video :o

Joe :o

Posted
It actually struck land a few hundred yards from Tamara G's house in Westfield, just east of Hastings and was one hell of an evening as Mr CB will confirm as he observed it coming along our seafront. Should have got in my car and chased it but I have only really been fired up recently by Paul (The Shermanator) S's enthusiasm - I won't miss one again and will offer a lift to neighbours Callie and Mr CB next time!

Yes I remember this as a friend who lives in Icklesham witnessed it and was soon on the phone to us.

Great video and really does show the front of the storm.

Callie :D

Posted

Ah so close

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I only just missed this one by a day. I was in Rye visiting my parents the day before and went on holiday to Devon the following day. I must say though that evening upon arrival just outside Plymouth we were watching the news and the local weather mentioned this storm way over the in the south east!

My mum said she's never been so terrified by a storm in all her life. The sky went so dark so quick and she knew something was coming but had no idea of its intensity. She said the worst part of it aside from the constant thunder/lightning was the hail and the size of it and how she thought it was going to wreck the conservatory roof and greenhouses at any moment. My dad said there was a bit of noticeable hail damage down at Winchelsea with a couple of cars damaged by it. He was driving at the time and said it was so bad for a few minutes there that everyone had to stop altogether on the road!

I feel rather pleased with myself at missing that one but at the same time slightly annoyed it wasn't a day earlier when I could have got some footage of it!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

hi there, sorry it's a late reply, just recently come across this thread :)

i saw that storm from my home in the Weald of Kent looking east (on a Sunday evening i think?). I did film it but the video footage isn't that good, however i have some snapshots from the video. I apologise for the poor quality of the images but they were filmed around 9.00 - 9.45pm and the sun had started to set, so everything went dark. The anvil could clearly be seen from my house and there were lightning flashes on average every 10 seconds. Distant thunder could be heard, but nothing close by or loud. The storm seemed to last in my view for about 2 hours, when i heard the first rumble just after 8 pm and it moved out of sight just after 10pm.

The first image is a photo of the storm stucture as seen around 9.30pm, the following 6 images are snapshots from a short film i took of the large amound of orange lightning.

Sun15thJuly2007942pm.jpg

thunder1.jpg

thunder2.jpg

thunder3.jpg

thunder4.jpg

thunder5.jpg

thunder6.jpg

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Thanks for your contribution MW! It really was quite a beast wasn't it, well done for capturing those images, is there any chance of uploading the whole vid?

Posted
Thanks for your contribution MW! It really was quite a beast wasn't it, well done for capturing those images, is there any chance of uploading the whole vid?

it was certainly a beast, never seen anything quite like it :)

Here's the footage clicky

I apologise, photobucket has made it completely black (instead of different shades of grey) so all you can see is the streetlamps and the flashes of lightning. The video is shy of 4 minutes long. Although admittedly not the most interesting of storms, it was strange to watch it from such a distance with no sound either. :) The pictures in my post above are of better quality than the footage. Anyway, i hope it is useful...

Edited by maidstone weather

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I remember that storm. It was a beast. Clasic supercell structure. I remember taking pictures of it from my house in Guildford Surrey as it went along the coast. Here is a pic i took. One of the best looking storm structures i have seen in the UK. Hope you like the pic. I was beside myself when i saw it.

post-3380-1210263823_thumb.jpg

post-3380-1210263871_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wow! Fantastic UKStormchaser! I so glad you posted them, what took you so long! B) Hopefully won't be too long before we get some decent storms again.