Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Cuckoo

kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

We've had this kind of thread before but it's always a good seasonal topic.

I was only saying to Mrs KAR yesterday that we ought to be looking out for swallows arriving soon. Then this morning whilst she was out walking the dog she heard the first cuckoo in the woods nearby.

I don't ever recall hearing one so early in spring before, and certainly not before seeing a few swallows first.

Anyone else seen or heard the early yet?

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Ive never heard a cuckoo around here or even seen one(wrong habitat i should imagine) got a collared dove that

cant coo..!! infact ,of the usual 3 coo's it can only manage 2 so it sounds

like its a cuckoo..LoL....

Posted

At the office in Docklands this afternoon we were a bit surprised to find a Muscovy Duck attacking the building, until we remembered that the window glass is mirrored and that he/she was responding to what he/she thought was another Muscovy Duck in the early breeding season. However, we can't find any information on whether Muscovy Ducks (obviously escapes from collections) are seen often in London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
At the office in Docklands this afternoon we were a bit surprised to find a Muscovy Duck attacking the building, until we remembered that the window glass is mirrored and that he/she was responding to what he/she thought was another Muscovy Duck in the early breeding season. However, we can't find any information on whether Muscovy Ducks (obviously escapes from collections) are seen often in London.

I've known them in two other locations (Muscovy Ducks). One couple in the Marina at Worsley (Bridgewater canal) who no longer had any 'white' plumage as it, like the water, had turned rusty orange, and then here in Hebden Bridge (where a chap rescued a couple of flood victims and has raised them from there on in) one of the ugliest heads in creation surely?

No cuckoo's yet though

Posted
I've known them in two other locations (Muscovy Ducks). One couple in the Marina at Worsley (Bridgewater canal) who no longer had any 'white' plumage as it, like the water, had turned rusty orange, and then here in Hebden Bridge (where a chap rescued a couple of flood victims and has raised them from there on in) one of the ugliest heads in creation surely?

No cuckoo's yet though

Yes, extremely ugly - and they apparently bully other wildfowl, too. My mother was telling me this evening about one harassing a locally well-known and long-standing pair of Mute Swans off their nest (of 20 years) last year. Apparently they lost two clutches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Yesterday I thought I heard one, but by coincidence it was children playing on their way home from school :D I actually stopped what I was doing to listen again and was about to rush in and post when I heard it again followed by other animal noises and laughing, so no Cuckoo here yet. I am off to the woods tomorrow all day so I'll keep an ear out.

Russ

Posted
Yesterday I thought I heard one, but by coincidence it was children playing on their way home from school :D I actually stopped what I was doing to listen again and was about to rush in and post when I heard it again followed by other animal noises and laughing, so no Cuckoo here yet. I am off to the woods tomorrow all day so I'll keep an ear out.

Russ

I think you're a wee bit previous looking for Cuckoos yet Rusty, especially given the forecast. But have fun looking for other stuff anyway.

Posted
I think you're a wee bit previous looking for Cuckoos yet Rusty, especially given the forecast. But have fun looking for other stuff anyway.

From the RSPB Adults arrive in late March or April and depart in July or August, with young birds leaving a month or so later

We get them every year in the woods just a few hundred yards away but was suprised to hear one so early this year.

Posted

Not heard it since... maybe it was either a lone rougue visitor or a wood pigeon during impersonations!

Posted

We get cuckoos every year, but nothing yet. We generally don't hear the first one until mid to late-April (near Ludlow, Shropshire)