Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Chase Sunday Or B H Monday

SMU

Good evening-

Please no comments in this thread other than relating to topic-

This Sunday I am meeting Paul Sherman at Thurrock Lakeside for 'probably' the last/ First Snow chase of the year-

I havent yet agreed a time- but it will however be early doors-

We will assess where we think either the greatest probability of falling snow will be that day, or where the most snow has fallen-, & then of course proceed to drive to that location for some pictures & generally a day out-

Obviously I will have my car, & paul his - So if there are any posters/ people that want to come along for the ride / view then feel free to post in the thread-

Just perhaps a small contribution for Petrol----- Its pretty much last minute.com in terms of planning- but we will probably go with the flow-

Not sure how far afield we plan to go- its obviously Easter Sunday So I personally dont expect a large response- however As i said- feel free to post-

Regards

Steve

Posted
for 'probably' the last/ First Snow chase of the year-

Regards

Steve

Love that Bit - Oh what a Crap Winter !!

I was thinking of doing that too - is it not a bit dangerous skiting about snow stricken roads or is that part of the fun?

Its ok as long as your are sensible-

Traction control is a good assist as well-

Steve

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I was thinking of doing that too - is it not a bit dangerous skiting about snow stricken roads or is that part of the fun?

If you see any of the White Stuff and more than a few inches it's good practise.

Nothing better than forgetting that the Snow drifts across the A6 at the end of dual carriage way heading towards Buxton. I remembered just as I ploughed through it. Luckily it wasn't deep but it isn't recommended.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I would love to come, Paul and I are old hands at this chasing malarky ... but I will be in Wales on Sunday, but may have an impromptu tour up into the Brecon Beacons to see some snow on top the mountians if it arrives and high roads allow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend except enjoy the snow- i'm in york so i think its looking good particularly friday evening and saturday? Would love to come on your chase but i have no idea where thurrock lakeside is, and i'm guessing its not near me!? I may pop out in the car for a bit of a drive if looks promising anywhere on any of the days, so if anyone in this part of the world fancies coming along, please do! If thurrock lakeside is anywhere remotely near me, please tell me lol!!

bob

Posted

Actually Steve

Nick is around for definate on B Holiday Monday, would the Snow still be

a, around on Bank Holiday

b, Falling from Convective Showers

If not then Sunday it is!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Carrying out my own snow chase over easter - Helvellyn, Scafell, Blencathra and Skiddaw

Actually Steve

Nick is around for definate on B Holiday Monday, would the Snow still be

a, around on Bank Holiday

b, Falling from Convective Showers

If not then Sunday it is!

Paul S

Edit Title

Monday then..............

The trio of Expert Snow chasers LOL

S

Posted
Edit Title

Monday then..............

The trio of Expert Snow chasers LOL

S

Fantastic,

Will liase with Nick and yourself over the next few days, and anyone else who wants to meet up for this please give it some thought, could be a bit of car sharing, as Steve says if we have to go to the North Norfolk Coast or East Kent then we will go to find the damn white stuff for Winter 07/08 even if it comes to this. And yes we can make a day of it as well.

Paul S

Posted

Yes, Sunday looks rather scarce for ppn towards the east ... Monday shows better prospects - but on the marginal side. Still some way off though for the models to get it right:

post-1052-1205965318_thumb.pngpost-1052-1205965330_thumb.png Monday 12-15z preciptn/Slp/dew points

Posted

As long as we don't end up in too many traffic jams like that! Maybe around Lakeside though on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Good luck getting to Aviemore in time XD

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Do you guys really believe you will see any of the white stuff settling in the SE or are you heading to East Anglia?

I have great respect for some of the knowledge on these boards but everytime there has been a hint of wintry weather down South of late it's come to nothing and according to my local forecast in London it's only going to rain this weekend.

Posted

I'd say Sunday's looking the better day for a snow chase in the east/SE ... dry on Monday. Funny how the models keep chopping and changing eh!

Do you guys really believe you will see any of the white stuff settling in the SE or are you heading to East Anglia?

I have great respect for some of the knowledge on these boards but everytime there has been a hint of wintry weather down South of late it's come to nothing and according to my local forecast in London it's only going to rain this weekend.

There'll definately be some showers falling as snow around - even to lower levels on Saturday and maybe Sunday too for the SE corner of England and East Anglia ... whether it settles depends on how low temps fall during the showers ... could be hit and miss at lower levels and most likely to settle over high ground (100-150m+) and probably the reserve of overnight for settling at low-levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I'm going to be doing something of a snow-chase myself, going through to carrbridge for a walk/photography outing, although it probably won't be too pleasent...

Posted
Love that Bit - Oh what a Crap Winter !!

I might go, but when I meet up with the Shermanator, its normally got to be a really extreme event! :good:

Posted

Sounds interesting - though Lakeside is offputting! lol!, I live out on the coast. Wouldn't Sunday be the better morning? No problem chasing (if there is anything to chase), running along the coast parallel to the showers running down the north sea would be heart breaking, but that's the sort of luck we have recently in our winters. Still sounds a laugh though, what sort of hours?

Posted
Sounds interesting - though Lakeside is offputting! lol!, I live out on the coast. Wouldn't Sunday be the better morning? No problem chasing (if there is anything to chase), running along the coast parallel to the showers running down the north sea would be heart breaking, but that's the sort of luck we have recently in our winters. Still sounds a laugh though, what sort of hours?

LOL

Timmy

We are only meeting there for ease, so that people are not driving around looking for people in different locations, rest assured we will be getting away from the Lakeside area asap, the Coast is very appealing!

Coast, you know you want to go................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
LOL

Timmy

We are only meeting there for ease, so that people are not driving around looking for people in different locations, rest assured we will be getting away from the Lakeside area asap, the Coast is very appealing!

Coast, you know you want to go................

Well if you're heading N into Norfolk, I might be tempted to meet you - I'll be in the Wolds early doors with the camera, but a comedy drive across the featureless fens in snow showers might be entertaining.