Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

I meet my wife in early April 2000, in a pub in Glastonbury, because she had been snowed out of the caravan she lived in, above Wookey Hole village in Somerset - she couldn't physically get to the door because of the drift! This was (very) approx 500 ft asl. A few weeks later there was still snow patches in the hills when it was warm enough for shorts. As far as I now this event was generally unexpected, so I guess anything could happen. That day was extremely wet - I did a 6 mile walk in driving sleet, to sign on at the jobcentre! Ah, good times...

So, here's hoping....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I hear that Monday is looking quite good for lying snow up over Exmoor and Dartmoor. That's where I'm heading for on Monday to see friends. If this is a possible area for lying snow, what sort of accumulations are likely.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
I meet my wife in early April 2000, in a pub in Glastonbury, because she had been snowed out of the caravan she lived in, above Wookey Hole village in Somerset - she couldn't physically get to the door because of the drift! This was (very) approx 500 ft asl. A few weeks later there was still snow patches in the hills when it was warm enough for shorts. As far as I now this event was generally unexpected, so I guess anything could happen. That day was extremely wet - I did a 6 mile walk in driving sleet, to sign on at the jobcentre! Ah, good times...

So, here's hoping....

Remember it well (the snow that is, not a pub in Glasto) it was in fact, 8 years ago today. It's the only time I've known proper, decent snow since I moved down here 10 years ago. I'm not so sad that the memory has been ingrained forever, I moved house that day, couldn't believe waking up to it, hadn't been forecast, country lanes in the middle of no where, 6 inches of snow and a huge removal lorry, not the best combination. Still lovely to see though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
*sigh*

I'm in the high risk area but doesn't anyone agree that some consistent milder weather would be better?

I like the weather to remain seasonal, and while I enjoyed the snow we got during Easter - I think it would have been a nice way to end the winter.

I normally crave the cold weather...but I am not taking any interest in this cold snap at all! Although if I do get some snow I wouldn't really mind tbh. Doesn't look likely though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well I'm interested in snow any time of year even if it is May. If doesn't snow here I don't mind as we will have clean fresh air from the Arctic which is just as good to be outdoors in IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

MetO have updated the advisory for Sunday and now includes the whole of the country. I perticularly like the bit where they say "Bands of snow showers will move south bringing temporary accumulations of snow at lower levels almost anywhere"

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=3

Edited by James M

Posted
Weather warning issued by Met Office.....

Heavy Snow Tue 8 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of southeast England. Wintry showers may merge into some longer periods of sleet or snow, especially early in the day. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5cms are likely locally, especially over hills.

By what conceivable measurement is 2 to 5cm 'Heavy Snow'. It seems that it is impossible for the Met Office to predict any kind of snow without it being deemed 'heavy'. Now 20 to 50cm is heavy, but 2cm is barely a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
By what conceivable measurement is 2 to 5cm 'Heavy Snow'. It seems that it is impossible for the Met Office to predict any kind of snow without it being deemed 'heavy'. Now 20 to 50cm is heavy, but 2cm is barely a dusting.

That largely depends, what you suggest requires the snow that falls to lay directly on the surface without melting.

It could be that it take a few hours of heavy snow to cool down the ground significantly in order for it to lay so while there may only be 3cm lying on the ground, 20 cumulative cm may actually have fallen - I witnessed this last March actually. 1 day of snow with no lying snow, then it started to lie as the ground temps got colder in the end we only got 2cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
I hear that Monday is looking quite good for lying snow up over Exmoor and Dartmoor. That's where I'm heading for on Monday to see friends. If this is a possible area for lying snow, what sort of accumulations are likely.

Thanks.

none! these areas are the least likely to gain from a northely outbreak as the south west is one of the most sheltered areas of the country and rarely sees any wintry showers from a northely flow...and certainly not enough for a covering even on dartmoor in january let alone april.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

We got nothing in the way of snow over Easters cold spell, I doubt we will get anything this time around.

Posted
We got nothing in the way of snow over Easters cold spell, I doubt we will get anything this time around.
looking at the radar early hours of sunday morning thats when sleet and snow will hit the swest i am confident seeing snow for the first time this winter.

Yes you are completely right , somerset esp on the coastline though is really in the wrong place for snowfall even in winter, the southwest of england doesn't do well for snow at the best of times, the north, midlands, east anglia and the northeast especially are the best locations for snowfall, i feel northeast scotland, northeast england and east anglia are in the firing line this weekend.

Posted

Trying not to get too excited as Easter was another non event for us. People are either very young or have very short memories! Snow in April is perfectly seasonal and normal. I remember days when it was hot enough to arrange a barbie in the morning and trying to eat our sausages in driving snow by the afternoon! (April 1985?) or abandoning playing netball at school because of the heat one day, and trudging through three foor of snow the next. April is not called the cruelest month for nothing!

Posted
none! these areas are the least likely to gain from a northely outbreak as the south west is one of the most sheltered areas of the country and rarely sees any wintry showers from a northely flow...and certainly not enough for a covering even on dartmoor in january let alone april.

Im afraid i disagree whole-heartedly here

Even ignoring the solar strength sparking convection overland, time and time again in these setups, particularly when the initial flow is just west of north, we see showers , sometimes even given the correct setup streamers, forming across the irish sea or even the bristol channel, and pushing SSE across devon and cornwall

Id say dartmoor and exmoor should see a fair few showers given the setup

Kind Regards

Kris

Posted
Yes you are completely right , somerset esp on the coastline though is really in the wrong place for snowfall even in winter, the southwest of england doesn't do well for snow at the best of times, the north, midlands, east anglia and the northeast especially are the best locations for snowfall, i feel northeast scotland, northeast england and east anglia are in the firing line this weekend.If netweather is correct the wind direction is more nnw flow which gives us in the sw a better chance of seeing more snow than we had this winter.

Posted

Well the last of Easters snow melted a few days ago, only the odd drift remains at higher levels now. A repeat of Easter would be nice, perhaps not with the very low wind chills.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Not counting any (spring)chickens on this one.

But still waiting to see my first dusting of snow this winter. :lol:

Ill be here at 12am sunday morning waiting with the rest of you.

Posted

Does look like there are going to be wintry showers about, I suspect there is a 36-48hrs window for most places where the showers are more likely to be of snow then anything else then after that the cold air start to get moderated upwards as low pressure cells start to develop nearby with their warm sectors eventually moderating the air to the point where snow would be unlikely, but we probably won't reach that point till Tuesday based on current models.

Also would think there is a risk of a more organised band coming down from the north-sea though to be honest I've not given this set-up my full attention it does look interesting. Looks like two main risks, the first overnight on Sat/Sun on that trough ans the second is with the frontal system on Sunday night, the second looks fairly marginal.

I suppose it could be said this is turning into a fairly snowy Spring if this does come off.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Oh that will bring back memories of Easter Saturday night into Sunday, think half of netweather was awake and online that night, it was pretty exciting......although knackering! Whens the next cold spell after this one then? hehe :lol:

December.

While it was interesting to see 2.5 inches of snow on easter day and lying all day I would much rather be going into warmer weather by now but at least getting cold weather out of the way early means that we should not have to have another ruined summer although I fear it will be poor anyway!

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

I did amazingly well at Easter a real "Winter(Spring) Wonderland" and I thought that would be it for the year. Amazing to see another chance of laying snow so late in the season. Confidence seems quite high on this which worries me. Recently it seems the most significant snow falls have been largely unexpected.

I would agree with some who say they would prefer a warm up in Spring. But snow is so rare at the moment I plan to enjoy any that graces my area.

Posted
looking at the radar early hours of sunday morning thats when sleet and snow will hit the swest i am confident seeing snow for the first time this winter.

It's Spring.

Posted

well looking at the latest weather warning from thr met office sunday /monday and now for tuesday our region looks fun

These advisories are issued by 1100 daily as routine and indicate confidence of expected severe or extreme weather. Early warnings and Flash Warnings supersede advisories when confidence levels are 60% or greater.

Risk of disruption Warning Valid

UK regions: Orkney & Shetland

Grampian

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow Sat 5 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of northern Scotland. Strong, and increasingly cold northerly winds are expected to bring an increasing risk of snow showers. These are likely to bring 2 to 5cms generally, and as much as 10cms to high ground, where drifting is possible in the strong winds, especially later in the day.

Issued at: 1136 Thu 3 Apr

UK regions: East of England

North West England

Northern Ireland

Central, Tayside & Fife

Yorkshire & Humber

London & South East England

East Midlands

SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders

Orkney & Shetland

Wales

Strathclyde

South West England

Grampian

Highlands & Eilean Siar

West Midlands

North East England

Heavy Snow Sun 6 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of the UK. Bands of snow showers will move south bringing temporary accumulations of snow at lower levels almost anywhere. Timing of these bands will be crucial but current information suggests that there is a risk of some disruption to transport over the south early in the day. Further north, up to 10 cm of snow is possible over the higher hills and mountains of North Wales, Northern England and Scotland.

Issued at: 1044 Fri 4 Apr

Northern Ireland

Central, Tayside & Fife

Yorkshire & Humber

East Midlands

SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders

Orkney & Shetland

Wales

Strathclyde

South West England

Grampian

Highlands & Eilean Siar

North East England

Heavy Snow Mon 7 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of N Ireland, N and W Wales, Scotland, NE and E England and Southwest England. Snow showers are likely to bring local temporary accumulations of 2-5 cm on low ground and perhaps 5-10 cm to the higher ground.

Issued at: 1102 Fri 4 Apr

London & South East England

Heavy Snow Tue 8 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of southeast England. Wintry showers may merge into some longer periods of sleet or snow, especially early in the day. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5cms are likely locally, especially over hills.

Issued at: 0141 Fri 4 Apr