Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
Issued at: 1102 Fri 4 Apr

UK regions: East of England

London & South East England

Heavy Snow Tue 8 Apr

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of southeast England. Wintry showers may merge into some longer periods of sleet or snow, especially early in the day. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5cms are likely locally, especially over hills.

Most of that ties in with the NW snow risk charts, although they point to anything we do get down here, being mostly over by Monday mid-morning.

I'm not sceptical about the possibilities for us in the far South East, just cautious! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
Most of that ties in with the NW snow risk charts, although they point to anything we do get down here, being mostly over by Monday mid-morning.

I'm not sceptical about the possibilities for us in the far South East, just cautious! :D

Fingers crossed eh Coast, but it's a long way off yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The MetOffice have put all of Wales under there weather warning for Sunday.

For Monday the main Welsh areas that appear to be at risk are:

Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey and Pembrokeshire

Here is one of the Preciptation charts for Sunday:

ukprecig0.th.png

As you can see here the Preciptation type is snow but anything heavy seems to be restricted to eastern Britain.

prectypeuktopoop2.th.png

Of course all this is subject to change and no doubt it will, just have to keep an watching :D

Jamie

Posted

Hope to see some thundery snow showers this weekend and into next week now that would make my month. If it's going to be cold it should be stormy and thundery like that wonderful March cold in 2007!

Posted
Hope to see some thundery snow showers this weekend and into next week now that would make my month. If it's going to be cold it should be stormy and thundery like that wonderful March cold in 2007!

well looking at the models its looking cold and very unsettled so any thing could happen next week!!! :):D

Posted

I am hoping that this cold snap will produce more frequent showers than the last one.

Any night time showers and if they are of snow they should stick, this should be the last cold snap we'll see for a while and in a way i hope it is.

Posted

Probably posted this previously in the wrong thread:

I'm surprised at how few people are on the Forum today when a possible snow/cold weather event is almost at our door (well somebody is sure to get it!).

Is it that people have generally given up on any of the white stuff until later in the year and are not checking the board, is it that people don't believe that there is the potential anymore or is it that they have so over-hyped themselves during Easter that they are sitting down in a darkened room still recovering?

I usually judge the upcoming weather by how many snow or cold weather member names appear on the main forum page - and its sadly lacking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the upcoming week stands a very good chance of producing that kind of weather.

As for lack of interest, to be fair, there are a number of members who are normally around just during winter, and occasionally high summer, and spring is normally quite quiet regardless of what the weather's doing. And yes, some have given up on snow until November, and many will probably be in for a shock on Sunday.

Edit: I'm particularly interested to see what Norwich gets out of this, I remember Norwich had a fair amount of snow over Easter while I was away, and it looks like there's a potential for a repeat performance here.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I think the risk of low level snow showers and temporary covers this Sunday is equally high as at easter - temperatures will only be marginally warmer and if anything, due to the extra strength from the sun, showers will probably be more potent and probably longer in duration.

What I'm not expecting is any significant cover i.e. anything above 3 inches at low levels at least in England, though hillier districts particularly northern pennine districts, cheviot hills and north york moors could well see some significant cover.

As some are suggesting the risk of snow falling looks to diminish at least for low ground by Tuesday, whilst Sunday is looking the snowiest day, I expect many eastern parts to have a fair few snow showers on Monday as the air will be just as cold as on Sunday.

Posted
Probably posted this previously in the wrong thread:

I'm surprised at how few people are on the Forum today when a possible snow/cold weather event is almost at our door (well somebody is sure to get it!).

Is it that people have generally given up on any of the white stuff until later in the year and are not checking the board, is it that people don't believe that there is the potential anymore or is it that they have so over-hyped themselves during Easter that they are sitting down in a darkened room still recovering?

I usually judge the upcoming weather by how many snow or cold weather member names appear on the main forum page - and its sadly lacking!

A mixture of any lying snow likely to thaw quickly at lower levels, and the fact that at this time of year even a good majority of snow lovers are hoping for milder, more seasonal weather.

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

what the hell is going on?? its been 18c today, ive been out in a t-shirt, lapping up the warm sun, and tomorrow I have a 92% chance of snow!!! oh come on, this is a not gonna amount to much iam sure, sorry but the south east miss out everytime. :nea:

Edited by Sugar79

Posted

Well that classic spring weather for you, feels like summer one day then your back into thinking its winter just 24hrs later!

The benefit this time round is it does look like most of the more organised features will come through during the overnight hours. for example the GFS brings down a weak frontal feature and a trough behind it in the overnight hours.

I think the way to sum up this cold spell will be night-time showers/systems will likely be of snow whilst daytime will probably see a wintry mix...I myself have 1 eye on Sunday night...I'll explain why later.

Posted
Well that classic spring weather for you, feels like summer one day then your back into thinking its winter just 24hrs later!

The benefit this time round is it does look like most of the more organised features will come through during the overnight hours. for example the GFS brings down a weak frontal feature and a trough behind it in the overnight hours.

I think the way to sum up this cold spell will be night-time showers/systems will likely be of snow whilst daytime will probably see a wintry mix...I myself have 1 eye on Sunday night...I'll explain why later.

ive just got over a bad cold, had to have time off work, with these rapid change in temps, going from cooking in my bus to freezing cold, Iam thinking iam gonna be ill again, as I really feel the cold :nea:

Edited by Sugar79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Sunday night you say :nea: , come on KW, spill the beans....

Posted
Sunday night you say :nea: , come on KW, spill the beans....

Yes spill lol :)

Posted

Look out for a more organized period of snow coming down from the north on Saturday night. Nice 'kink' in he isobar chart which is scheduled to be over Scotland on Sunday 0000hrs.

Posted

Well this is the fax chart:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

Marginal because it does have a small warm sector but it'll come down overnight which will be a help in that regard.

The GFS also develops a fairly strong warm front that comes up into the south overnight on monday. Too early to know what will happen with that esp because there is milder air waiting to come in behind it, may be a more higher ground deal but wwill have to wait and see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

A covering on Monday morning would be nice, 1st time since last winter I think around here, although was away Easter so not sure if there was much snow around this way.

Posted

Out of curiosity, i thought i would check the 'windchill' temperature at 900m for our mountains on Sunday and low and behold they are set to be equally coldest if not the coldest they have been all winter i.e. -18 degrees in the lake district and -28 degrees in the Cairngorms (this is at 900m, on the plateau they would be colder still).

These are temperatures that certainly would put be off venturing into our high mountains this weekend, where conditions will certainly be very arctic. Wrap up extremely well if you plan to venture out in the hills.

Incidentally the BBC haven't unlike at easter as far as i'm aware showed the windchill or feels like temperatures for the weekend. It will be interesting of they do so at 6.30pm, because it certainly will feel near zero in many places if not below come Sunday.

Posted
A covering on Monday morning would be nice, 1st time since last winter I think around here, although was away Easter so not sure if there was much snow around this way.

No you didn't miss much lol

hey hoh, lets enjoy this spell of weather its a rare event these days and thundersnow is bound to be reported somewhere ,i think the only remaining questions are how much , where and whether there are ant more subtle changes in synoptics after monday.

as for monday itself that looks interesting as it looks like a northwesterly with deep instability across eastern areas , with showers developing inland and at this time of year that could well produce some nasty thundertstorms which could last into nightime giving some further accumulations for eastern areas certainly a treat for us and we should all be very gratfeful for one of natures treats

ps lets get those snaps coming in guys enjoy :nea:

Guest Shetland Coastie

Alrighty then. Wind not quite shifted into the north yet, still WNW at the mo but getting fairly breezy at 30mph gusting 45mph. Temp is 4.9C, windchill 1.9C & dewpoint 1.3C, dry at the moment.

:nea:

Posted
Incidentally the BBC haven't unlike at easter as far as i'm aware showed the windchill or feels like temperatures for the weekend. It will be interesting of they do so at 6.30pm, because it certainly will feel near zero in many places if not below come Sunday.

Peter Gibbs did so at 13.30 for Scotland tomorrow. Feeling like -4c tomorrow afternoon.

Posted
Alrighty then. Wind not quite shifted into the north yet, still WNW at the mo but getting fairly breezy at 30mph gusting 45mph. Temp is 4.9C, windchill 1.9C & dewpoint 1.3C, dry at the moment.

:D

I look forward to your reports as the colder air digs in. :)

The cold front showing up nicely on radar..

Ties in nicely with the gfs 12z..

Let the games begin! :D