Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
No you didn't miss much lol

Thought as much,and there was me thinking I was going to miss all the fun before I went away. Might get lucky this time....and we defo need lots of that in this part of Kent!

Posted
Thought as much,and there was me thinking I was going to miss all the fun before I went away. Might get lucky this time....and we defo need lots of that in this part of Kent!

i aint expecting much and too be honest dont really want it after todays warmth.

Just absolutley georgeous today with the sunshine :D must of reached 20+ down here at one point.

So bugger off snow dont want you :D

Edited by nanu

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

yeah i agree lol

Posted

Its exceptionally quiet I feel in here this evening (yes I know its a friday night and all) but given the impending conditions about to be forced on the country I would have expected alot more action on the forum.

Also the snow potential is co-inciding again with a weekend, so people have a much greater opportunity of enjoying it or at least experiencing it.

Come on snow lovers... show us your enthusiasm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
Its exceptionally quiet I feel in here this evening (yes I know its a friday night and all) but given the impending conditions about to be forced on the country I would have expected alot more action on the forum.

Also the snow potential is co-inciding again with a weekend, so people have a much greater opportunity of enjoying it or at least experiencing it.

Come on snow lovers... show us your enthusiasm.

An avid snow lover is here present and correct !!! The missus doesn't believe it will happen, maybe everyone is keeping quiet as though don't want to jinx it.

Bring on the RAMP I say !!!!!

Let it snow, let it snow !!!!!

Posted
These kind of things always seem to happen at the weekend do they not?

generally the end of the week i feel, Feb 2007 was a Thursday and a Friday and March 2005 here in Kent was a Wed-Fri period. April 9th 2006 overnight was a Sunday so generally here in Kent, snow is normally in the 2nd half of the week :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Just watched the BBC Wales weather, there was an area of wintryshowers all over South Wales and he said expect a covering almost anywhere. Not the best thing to say as its still to far to tell exactly where any snow will occur. I have seen it all before, not worth expecting anything but i hope to see a flurry or two.

Jamie

Posted

Hi folks, latest information regarding the 18z. I think 18z is an outlier the reason why is the difference (so sudden) with the projection to the cut off and the high pressure. Although i dont want to put the flames out on your fire for peeps down south, looks as if tuesday may not even come...

As it stands in all honesty, Scotland and the far NE england will do well from this. Other than scattered wintery showers, with snow in between and back edge at lower levels, its only higher ground that will benefit during the day from the showers.

Lower levels in eastern and north eastern areas (Including the Midlands) may see something overnight sunday, but even this is looking marginal now.

In all honesty folks, not good at all, Will update on the 06Z tomorrow :D

Just watched the BBC Wales weather, there was an area of wintryshowers all over South Wales and he said expect a covering almost anywhere. Not the best thing to say as its still to far to tell exactly where any snow will occur. I have seen it all before, not worth expecting anything but i hope to see a flurry or two.

Jamie

This sort of setup has decent potential for us especially further west into Pembrokeshire. However it is April, and that obviously reduces the chances.

However there is better potential than Easter and the colder air is over us as opposed to over Eastern England this time. This best chance is more for early Sunday (when I'll be in Watford for the Rugby :D , it didn't occur to me that this sort of event would happen in April after such a bad winter.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

hi, does anyone know if York will see any snow out of this or if not the North York Moors, thanks :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow
This sort of setup has decent potential for us especially further west into Pembrokeshire. However it is April, and that obviously reduces the chances.

However there is better potential than Easter and the colder air is over us as opposed to over Eastern England this time. This best chance is more for early Sunday (when I'll be in Watford for the Rugby :D , it didn't occur to me that this sort of event would happen in April after such a bad winter.)

I agree there is more of a potential for us than the easter cold snap, we just have to wait and see i think.

Jamie

Posted

The Precipitation Type chart for 0600 Sunday morning shows a shade darker pink for Southwest England and the West Country, which means the snow could well be heavier than predicted on the charts this morning.

post-3528-1207347369_thumb.png

Vizzy2004 - the North York Moors could get a spell of moderate snow judging by this chart.

I think anything up to 4mm/hr for the North York Moors and 2mm/hr for SW England.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Out of curiosity, i thought i would check the 'windchill' temperature at 900m for our mountains on Sunday and low and behold they are set to be equally coldest if not the coldest they have been all winter i.e. -18 degrees in the lake district and -28 degrees in the Cairngorms (this is at 900m, on the plateau they would be colder still).

These are temperatures that certainly would put be off venturing into our high mountains this weekend, where conditions will certainly be very arctic. Wrap up extremely well if you plan to venture out in the hills.

Those are horrendous conditions. The majority of people probably don't own clothing to cope with that. But then hopefully the majority of people wouldn't think of going up there when it's so cold!

Posted
The Precipitation Type chart for 0600 Sunday morning shows a shade darker pink for Southwest England and the West Country, which means the snow could well be heavier than predicted on the charts this morning.

post-3528-1207347369_thumb.png

Vizzy2004 - the North York Moors could get a spell of moderate snow judging by this chart.

I think anything up to 4mm/hr for the North York Moors and 2mm/hr for SW England.

Sorry, i dont think we should be plotting/guessing the estimated snowfall at the moment mate. We should be plotting/guessing where it will snow. the 18z for me is marginal when the bands of precip hit. one second its ok for one area, then the other second its the other way around. in setups like this you have heavy snow 15 miles up north of you, and rain and sleet/snow when it hits you. The 850's do not convince me at all. With surface temps and also this time of the year your going to get a lot of warming.

Posted

Would we be talking record low maxima for April if this holds true for Bristol on Tuesday?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

Snow all day over Bristol if this chart is to be believed.

Edited by Thundersquall

Would we be talking record low maxima for April if this holds true for Bristol on Tuesday?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

Snow all day over Bristol if this chart is to be believed.

Those are based on the 12Hz run, the 18Hz is much milder at the same time.

However generally the coldest of 850HPA conditions do seem to be reserved for Western / South Western areas, an dother days look quite promising for you. Nothing is guaranteed of course though.

Posted

100% chance of snow tomorrow!!!! I don't think so, that must be wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
100% chance of snow tomorrow!!!! I don't think so, that must be wrong!

On Easter Saturday, I only had a 60% chance of snow, yet it snowed on and off nearly all day. But it wasn't until just before sunset when the temperature dropped to 1C that it started to settle.

So technically 100% chance of snow is easily possible, but whether it settles is the question.

Posted

Nothing remarkable or largely of note about this setup...its common at this time of the year for more amplified setups combined with cooling seas and less subpolar energy coinciding with trough displacement from the arctic. Solar radiation and cold uppers = April showers. These often consist of snow, sleet, hail and rain all in the space of one day and will be the case for most areas barring high ground above 700 feet. This setup may well bring a spell of snow for a time though as occasional colder isotherms are drawn in on the periphery of the shortwave.

Posted

The latest online forecast from Jay Wynne is interesting. Unlike the charts on the BBC, this runs the predicted precipitation distribution through Saturday night into Sunday morning (around 2 minutes into the forecast).

Interestingly, the band of precip seems to form from practically nothing and slides SSW through the Midlands and the West Country, Southwest England, South Wales and eventually Central Southern England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/we...ast_media.shtml

Just click on the "WATCH / LISTEN TO BBC WEATHER" link in the top right hand corner.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
The latest online forecast from Jay Wynne is interesting. Unlike the charts on the BBC, this runs the predicted precipitation distribution through Saturday night into Sunday morning (around 2 minutes into the forecast).

Interestingly, the band of precip seems to form from practically nothing and slides SSW through the Midlands and the West Country, Southwest England, South Wales and eventually Central Southern England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/we...ast_media.shtml

Just click on "WATCH / LISTEN TO BBC WEATHER" in the top right hand corner.

Warmer-lower level air possibly enhancing a band of more organised showery activity. Its just typical these days though that the midlands and south get these marginal events at lower level; whilst us in the north and east just miss out....even as the band forms in Scotland, dissipates over us and then redevelops again as it meets more instability on the western side.

:D