Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
Nothing remarkable or largely of note about this setup...its common at this time of the year for more amplified setups combined with cooling seas and less subpolar energy coinciding with trough displacement from the arctic. Solar radiation and cold uppers = April showers. These often consist of snow, sleet, hail and rain all in the space of one day and will be the case for most areas barring high ground above 700 feet. This setup may well bring a spell of snow for a time though as occasional colder isotherms are drawn in on the periphery of the shortwave.

Sensible post, PP.

Warmer-lower level air possibly enhancing a band of more organised showery activity. Its just typical these days though that the midlands and south get these marginal events at lower level; whilst us in the north and east just miss out....even as the band forms in Scotland, dissipates over us and then redevelops again as it meets more instability on the western side.

:D

PP-

You are the UK's answer to Joe Ba*tardi !!! :D

S

Posted

Snow from the feature moving South, covering down to 350/400m.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

A covering of snow here also,but very slushy.

Wasn't expecting anything until later on this afternoon,so a nice suprise to wake up to. :clap:

I would bet OON has a fair covering.

Posted

Where has everybody been the last couple of days. We're on the brink of winters' last stand (winter?) with potentially some exciting weather to come (maybe more snow in some areas than they've had all winter) and everyones vanished. Have all the coldies gone into Summerbernation ??!! ( just made it up )

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

morning all

wel its belting it down here with pretty good sized flakes,

north leeds roundhay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

no snow tonight bbc have it going way west of me, just southern and western areas

metcheck say on their home page -10oC possible, they are getting confused with the upper air temps LOL :clap:

Edited by mark forster 630

Guest Shetland Coastie

Much colder this morning and windy although sunny at the moment. Temp 2.4C, windchill -2C, dewpoint -0.3C. Wind N @ 30mph gusting 40mph :clap:

Posted

well it's been snowing very heavy with huge flakes here in Bradford for over 30 mins now and we have an very good covering already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Looks like there will be nothing much around Wales either apart from a few snow showers here and there. Giving drizzle for my area :)

Oh well :clap:

Jamie

Posted
Bit dissapointed with the beeb graphics, i expected more PPN on there charts for Saturday night into Sunday.

Just light showers here, looks a bit sleety.

I wouldnt worry too much about those graphics GS, they are very general. Each "snowflake" covers about 30 miles !

MO still say snow just about anywhere over the next 48 hrs or so. Just keep fingers crossed like me, we haven't had much here in Tyne and Wear this winter have we ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Good morning.A band of hevy snow moving through at moment in kirkburton,nr huddersfield.

Posted
Good morning.A band of hevy snow moving through at moment in kirkburton,nr huddersfield.

:clap: congratulations for the snow,and welcome to the forum :)

Posted

Welcome to the site! :clap:

My brother just text me to gleefully gloat that its snowing in Huddersfield!

Posted

Its odd that heavy rain showers are being recorded in Aberdeen whilst parts of Yorkshire are having snow, i assume because Yorkshire is higher up than Aberdeen.

SM - nope we havant sadly but we did had a persistant snow event albeit not much settled.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Moderate rain just moving through here after a brightish start, temp 3.3°c

...... update , a bit of sleet mixed in with it now .

Edited by Delta76

Posted
Its odd that heavy rain showers are being recorded in Aberdeen whilst parts of Yorkshire are having snow, i assume because Yorkshire is higher up than Aberdeen.

SM - nope we havant sadly but we did had a persistant snow event albeit not much settled.

lol, just enough to make a quick snowball and one afternoon sledging here in Ryton back in early Feb !

Posted

Looking at both temperatures and dew points, along with the fact that the flakes are large i would have thought the snow currently across the north was rather more sleety but still very god signs to see unexpected snowfall in daylight hours, allbeit still rather early

Id have thought as the sun gets to work it wil start to fall as rain again the further south it heads, with the exception of the lincs wolds, and perhaps a few favoured spots such as the downs, the chilterns etc

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
:) congratulations for the snow,and welcome to the forum :)

Thank you Paul :D I cannot recall a surprise snowfall for some time.I expected something but not saturday am.I dont know whos more exited me or the kids :clap:

jason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just had a heavy prolonged snow shower, which has left a visible covering on all grass, hedges and roofs - it's white outside !!! Quite a drop in temperature too as the shower went through, 4.2c before and 2.1c now, although did dip to 1.9c as the shower ended. Very nice start to proceedings :)

Edit: just had a look at the MetO radar and you can see the large area of precipitation moving south which just passed over here, I wonder if it'll stay as snow as it moves south ? The only downside is that that appears to be it for quite a while :clap:

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts