Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Long Range summer forecast

Posted

Just file this observation under "I'm just saying like ..."

You might have heard there has been very heavy snowfalls in eastern Canada this winter. But the weather has turned very warm in Ontario and Quebec lately, and looks to be turning even warmer for several days.

This is all rather reminiscent of 1976 (hmm, now what does that have to do with summer LRF?).

In late March of 1976, there was severe flooding on the same scale as I'm seeing on the TV news, back where I used to live at that time, about 100 miles north of Toronto. This is normally a region that gets a fairly heavy snowfall, but the rivers are usually able to handle the snowmelt. The odd time, like this year, there is just far too much coming out of the forested upland areas to the northeast and they get some pretty severe floods, as this year. Also, the daily records for April 15-19 were all either set or narrowly missed in 1976.

So apparently the flow over N America must be fairly close at this point in time to what it was in April 1976. Wonder how much of that similarity will hold together downstream a few months later?

Perhaps my idea of cool/wet to warm/dry might be a bit slow, I'll revise slightly to this idea ... progressively warmer not just in absolute terms, which is quite normal in itself, but relative to average.

That ice east of Newfoundland might get blown apart fairly quickly in the next 3-4 weeks too.