Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The lingering twilight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I love the lingering twilight - so magical! Last few nights have reminded me of being in Iceland this time last year - now that's lingering twilight! Well more lingering never ending daylight really. Very confusing to sleep patterns but really great too. Wouldn't fancy living through the dark season though although a visit to see the northern lights might be nice.

I love the lingering twilight - so magical! Last few nights have reminded me of being in Iceland this time last year - now that's lingering twilight! Well more lingering never ending daylight really. Very confusing to sleep patterns but really great too. Wouldn't fancy living through the dark season though although a visit to see the northern lights might be nice.

I've never seen the northern lights even though i believe it's possible for where i live, but i could be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

What time is the solstice? Are we on the way down yet? Hope not, want to bask in a few more hours of being on the way up! ;) Although with todays weather you'd think the winter solstice was nearer than the summer solstice!

edit - answered my own question!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice

23:59 last night so yes on the way down now :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

The lingering twilight season is slowly drawing to a close now. In the south, already true nights have returned and it is now becoming perceptible that the nights are start to draw in.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

At my location its always around late July that i first notice the nights getting that little bit longer and especially in early August.

Posted

Always depressing when you start to notice those nights drawing in again - you get used to have lots of daylight to play with then it starts to ebb away. Then by mid to late Sept daylight is something you only see from an office window or at weekends :D

Posted
Always depressing when you start to notice those nights drawing in again - you get used to have lots of daylight to play with then it starts to ebb away. Then by mid to late Sept daylight is something you only see from an office window or at weekends :(

Roll on December! Yeehaw!

Guest Shetland Coastie

Due to being so far north you notice it happening much quicker up here. But then we do lose 6 mins per day so since midsummer we've already lost approx 3.5hours of daylight. Something else I noticed yesterday as well, the length of the shadows. Late on in the afternoon you can fairly notice the shadows getting longer and thats a sure sign that autumn is not far away.

• 8 months later...
Posted

.If Im correct it starts to get darker from June 21st....so plenty of long nights ahead

Edited by dogs32

• 1 month later...
Guest Shetland Coastie
Here we go again, hard to believe that in just under two weeks, the lingering twilight season begins again for the Shetlands.

Indeed. What we call in the Shetland dialect "Simmer Dim". For a few weeks either side of mid-summer its light enough to sit outside and read the newspaper!

Posted
post-2744-1241990128_thumb.jpg Taken at 10.00 pm this evening looking due north across the Firth with still a few weeks to go till midsummer when it will be even lighter.