Cold?
IGNORED

The lingering twilight

Posted

Could be worse. Try no sunset at all...

sauli-koski1.jpg

With thanks to Spaceweather.com

Finland and the 'Midnight Sun'.

Phil. (Nice crespucular rays though!) :)

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It didn't get completely dark here last night, there was a gentle level of twilight until about 3:00AM when the sun started coming back up. We're still about a month away from the longest day though? 20th of June or something?

Posted

I was pleased to have several clear evenings while staying near Sheffield over the weekend because it was interesting to see how the twilight lingers longer than this far South, I'd say about half an hour longer.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Its clear here at my location still partly bright. Bright enough to not be able to see any stars,probably another 20mins before it gets dark enough to see them. In 3 weeks time on a clear night it would be sometime between 11:30pm-midnight before it would be dark enough to see stars at my location for example.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Has anyone seen any noctilucent clouds? I was hoping there might have been on show with the recent run of clear nights but I haven't seen any myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Absolutely love the almost unending daylight at this time of year - it's just fantastic. You can do whatever you like in the evening, get home & still feel like there's some day left. Total contrast to the other end of the year where you feel like the days over some 2-3 hours before you've even finished work!

I certainly need a lot less sleep at this time of year too. Good job as you end up waking up early with the early daylight!

Guest Shetland Coastie

We're into the period of Simmer Dim up here now, perpetual twilight where it never gets properly dark. Doesn't half confuse the birds - they don't quite know when to do the dawn chorus :rolleyes:

Officially sunset tonight is 2229 local and sunrise 0328 local with no time set for Nautical Twilight just TAN (Twlight All Night).

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
We're into the period of Simmer Dim up here now, perpetual twilight where it never gets properly dark. Doesn't half confuse the birds - they don't quite know when to do the dawn chorus :shok:

Officially sunset tonight is 2229 local and sunrise 0328 local with no time set for Nautical Twilight just TAN (Twlight All Night).

After June 21st when can you slightly notice that the nights are getting longer up in Shetland. Around mid July?

Guest Shetland Coastie
After June 21st when can you slightly notice that the nights are getting longer up in Shetland. Around mid July?

Yes about then. Because we're so far north at 60 degrees Latitude, you notice the nights getting longer fairly quickly up here. We lose almost 6 mins daylight per day from the 22nd June - 3 mins morning and 3 mins at night. The reverse is true during the winter though, by mid January you fairly notice the days getting longer :mellow:

Posted
Absolutely love the almost unending daylight at this time of year - it's just fantastic. You can do whatever you like in the evening, get home & still feel like there's some day left. Total contrast to the other end of the year where you feel like the days over some 2-3 hours before you've even finished work!

I certainly need a lot less sleep at this time of year too. Good job as you end up waking up early with the early daylight!

Its not the case for everyone! Although I enjoy the lighter evenings I really struggle to sleep at this time of the year and feel tired and sluggish most of the tme. As I do 12½ hour shifts it means whether Im on days or nights its always light when I have to go to bed. Being light and sunny when Im leaving after a night shift means Im wide awake when I finally get my head down.

So Im probably in the few and actually enjoy the longer nights more, though it does get annoying in winter when I dont see daylight all day.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Shetland Coastie

Well and truly gone from up here now. Were now getting about 4 hours of darkness each night and its getting longer as every day passes. Sun didnt rise until about 0325 this morning. Were now about 5 weeks since mid-summer so thats about 3 and a half hours daylight lost which is about right.

Posted

sun rising at 3:25 is still early though Shetland!, i don't think i would want the sun up that early probably would find it a bit of a nuisance in truthness.

I'm noticing its getting darker earlier here now and i am also noticing the sun is getting a little bit lower in the sky now, can't wait in a way until around October time as that when the sun won't be shining in my room on a mornings to much. One thing i hate about summer is sun shining brightly in your room at half 5-6ish in the morning.

Guest Shetland Coastie

sun rising at 3:25 is still early though Shetland!, i don't think i would want the sun up that early probably would find it a bit of a nuisance in truthness.

I'm noticing its getting darker earlier here now and i am also noticing the sun is getting a little bit lower in the sky now, can't wait in a way until around October time as that when the sun won't be shining in my room on a mornings to much. One thing i hate about summer is sun shining brightly in your room at half 5-6ish in the morning.

It is a bit of a pest when your working shifts and trying to get some kip lol! Still swings and roundabouts cos during the winter its dark most of the day.

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

well we are still manging to get dark here at 22:45pm or thereabouts and its getting bright at 4:30am which is still quite good.

Midnight looking due north, 12th June

lingeringtwilightq.jpg

Now compare to this: Looking due north at 12.10am on the 18th of June. Note how the noctilucent clouds have made the lingering twilight notably brighter.

noctlc.jpg

Like the pictures, however am slightly surprised that you managed to take them in the urban northwest - living nearby north Cheshire the light pollution is ever present.