Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunshine, showers, snow, hail, thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In truth, we didn't get a great deal of lying snow in Norwich, but a couple of snowy pics from 6 April:

post-7-1207948713_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207948727_thumb.jpg

8 April had some impressive showers:

post-7-1207949511_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207949943_thumb.jpg

The first thunderstorm I had today was pretty good:

post-7-1207949954_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207949964_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207949980_thumb.jpg

but it was nothing compared to the second one:

post-7-1207950505_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950513_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950524_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950536_thumb.jpg

post-7-1207950548_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950569_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950576_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950582_thumb.jpgpost-7-1207950591_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Great shots there Ian, a couple look like they could have

been taken on the plains in the US..!! Incidentely what was the size

of the hail? as its always difficult to judge the size on photographs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I'm envious! Here's hoping for some convective activity like that tomorrow. Nicely captured Ian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The hail was approximately pea-sized- I was surprised to see how big the hailstones were!

Posted

Marrowfat,garden or mushy pea-sized. LoL, if the trees had have been in leaf

i reckon it would have left quite a mess.!! Better than the storms we get here

Ian aint it.. Shame we have hills that prevent a lot of storms getting here, Nolfolk

has to be one of the most favoured places in the UK for storms, long flat terrain

absolutely ideal.

Posted

Aye, statistically South Shields area is one of the least thunder-prone in England (seems to be 7 thunder-days per year on average), though eastern Scotland gets even less. In contrast Norwich Weather Centre's stats showed a mean of about 16 per year! I have to say I've been pretty impressed by the Norwich climate so far, seems to get the same east-coast snow events as South Shields but then lots more warmth/sun/storms in the summer.

Posted

Really nice pics TWS :D Thinking of going to UEA myself in September so glad to to hear of the interesting weather there, especially storms and the warmth which I dont get much of here :)

Posted

cracking photos tws,i had was working when our storm came but managed to get a couple of shots,pea-size hail,little sleet,this was at Biggin hill. :)

post-8172-1208002843_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1208002984_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1208003004_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1208003024_thumb.jpg

post-8172-1208003040_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Awesome photos there man, really photogenic weather! In the 4th picture along in the 2nd part of the 1st post of pictures it appears to be snowing or hailing from blue sky. Is that true or was it just the edge of a shower? :lol:

Posted

It was the edge of the shower- the cloud was still (just) overhead, but it was very close to being hail from a blue sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
It was the edge of the shower- the cloud was still (just) overhead, but it was very close to being hail from a blue sky.

I see. Thanks. There seems to be quite a lot of that around at the moment. There was an instance, Monday I think, when it was snowing a mile or two ahead of the cu-nimb and appeared to be from complete blue sky. Perhaps there's some meteorological explanation there.