Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 6th - 10th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This has certainly been an interesting and exciting start to the month with plenty of shower activity in this neck of the woods and I've already taken twice the number of photos in this last week that I did all through March, totalling 220 I think!

I've picked out some of the best and will post the pictures in batches starting with:

Sunday 6th

040618.jpg

040632.jpg

040634.jpg

040635.jpg

040644.jpg

040660.jpg

040669.jpg

040690.jpg

040696.jpg

:lol:

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

my god your photos are fantastic!!! the ones looking at it falling from the sky are fab. the 2nd one looks like a tornado!!

Good job!! :doh:

Posted

The second on does look like a tornado !

Well done :doh:

Posted
Sugar79 Posted Today, 12:52

my god your photos are fantastic!!! the ones looking at it falling from the sky are fab. the 2nd one looks like a tornado!!

Good job!!

Thanks very much, the Mendip Summit at 325mASL makes for a great vantage point when photographing showers from the north and west. As for the 2nd one, that's why I took it hehe. I think it was a shaft of squally hail or snow.

Zachary Posted Today, 13:10

The second on does look like a tornado !

Well done

Thanks, glad you like the photos. It was a fascinating showercloud!

Monday 7th:

This was quite frustrating day as the day began with light snow for about an hour from some kind of high altostartus cloud that soon cleared. Excellent convection was then kicked off with sunny intervals between but not long after that, a thunderstorm started in Cardiff. The wind direction was perfect for it hitting Bristol but the ruddy wind direction changed resulting in it going round us. We caught the edge of the storm as the storm produced some great anvils with some hail and heavyish rain. It did though mean the other cells were not obscured by rain falling.

040713.jpg

040719.jpg

040722.jpg

040727.jpg

040729.jpg

040732.jpg

040733.jpg

040736.jpg

040737.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

lovely photo's....number 3?.....wow, looks like something positively evil is coming to call!........ :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Pic's 3 & 4 are very interesting, its not often an angle like that occurs (and is photographed). Having a shower belt in the middle distance yet being able to clearly see the further distances...I hope that made sense :angry:

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
Icer Posted Today, 18:43

As it's been said in your first batch of photos the 2nd one looks like a tornado.

In your second batch the 4th one looks like a evil cloud

Glad you like, it was a very interesting sight. As for the 7th, it was an evil cloud. It had th ordasity to hit Cardiff and run south of Bristol! :angry:

ajpoolshark Posted 52 minutes ago

lovely photo's....number 3?.....wow, looks like something positively evil is coming to call!........

It was quite strange, I don't see it that often but in this kind of weather, it's in numbers! It was hard to tell what the precipitation was but I would have thought snow or sleet because none of the roads were wet when we drove passed where the precipitation was.

Rustynailer Posted 42 minutes ago

Pic's 3 & 4 are very interesting, its not often an angle like that occurs (and is photographed). Having a shower belt in the middle distance yet being able to clearly see the further distances...I hope that made sense

Russ

The 4th one was another very interesting sight. It was taken from the summit of the Mendip looking through to Weston Super-Mare in the distance. The snow shower was rather messy but between us and the town. It was actually already snowing lightly when I took the picture.

Tuesday 8th:

Today was the day I went to Wales with my Grandad, walking in the Brecon Beacons in what was mostly bright sunshine until we got back down into the Neuadd Valley when the clouds came in with a long snow/hail shower finishing off our walk as we arrived back at the car.

040801.jpg

040805.jpg

040807.jpg

040812.jpg

040816.jpg

040819.jpg

040825.jpg

040829.jpg

040830.jpg

Posted

Wednesday 9th:

Wednesday was probably the quietest day weatherwise, as was Saturday but unfortunately, being cooped up in work for much of the day, I couldn't take many photos. Wednesday was brighter with sunshine but some quite interesting cloud scenes at times. These are what I captured.

040901.jpg

040902.jpg

040903.jpg

040904.jpg

Thursday 10th:

The following day dawned bright and sunny and for much of the morning, it remained actually quite warm with unbroken sunshine. By the afternoon though, cloud increased from the west and southwest with the onset of very heavy downpours by mid-afternoon, one with distant thunder about 10miles away.

041001.jpg

The showers can be seen in a long line moving southwest-northeast, situated in the picture over the West Country. These brought locally intense downpours with 4.5mm falling in ten minutes at my location!

041003.jpg

041004.jpg

041009.jpg

041013.jpg

041022.jpg

041033.jpg

041034.jpg

041039.jpg

041040.jpg

Although the thread is named 6th-10th. The 13th was also an excellent day for storm photography so they will be the next lot of photos. Hope you have enjoyed. B)

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Some really good photos there Michael. Some awesome cloud structures that you have captured really well. And that's a nice strong rainbow too.

Posted

Sunday 13th:

This was probably the most convective day of the convective spell. Although the thunder came on the 14th, the 14th was a day of messy showerclouds followed by unbroken sunshine whereas the 13th was windless with great towers growing.

041302.jpg

The focus at the moment is on the large, powerful cell just north of the Severn Estuary which was due to move southwards in my direction.

041306.jpg

041312.jpg

041319.jpg

041324.jpg

The storm could be seen very noticeably from quite a distance away with a very dark base and shafts of hail falling ahead of the actual shower!

041327.jpg

041328.jpg

041333.jpg

041337.jpg

041340.jpg

Some really good photos there Michael. Some awesome cloud structures that you have captured really well. And that's a nice strong rainbow too.

Thanks. This is what April should be like in my opinion - strong sunshine and convective showers, perhaps a little warmer though around 15-16C. The rainbow was spectacular, certainly the best on I've seen in some time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Thanks. This is what April should be like in my opinion - strong sunshine and convective showers, perhaps a little warmer though around 15-16C. The rainbow was spectacular, certainly the best on I've seen in some time.

Yeah, totally agree with that. Today has certainly not been like April at all. Bring back the sunshine and showers, or failing that at least some warmth!

Posted
Somerset Squall Posted Yesterday, 21:11

QUOTE (Michael Prys-Roberts @ 19 Apr 2008, 06:59 PM)

Yeah, totally agree with that. Today has certainly not been like April at all. Bring back the sunshine and showers, or failing that at least some warmth!

It was rather crap yesterday I have to say but it's been noticeably milder today though. Looks like this week could see some further showery or even thundery weather so fingers crossed for all of us! :p

mark bayley Posted Today, 14:49

Some very goods photos there

Thank you, hopefully some more to come not to far away.

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2