Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What would the CET look like in the middle of the last ice age

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

If you assume last ice aged ended 10,000 yrs ago what would the CET look like year on year in the middle or height of the last ice age (which i dont think was the worst one ?)

Didnt the ice come down to london area

Would average Jan CET for london be -5c and 10c for July ?

I might be miles out but I guess the summers would have a lot of melting and a freeze would set in from November onwards to late April early May ??

To have ice sheets miles thick that have now gone you are going to need a lot of build up of ice maybe summers even cooler ?

what change in CET could bring on another ice age ?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

I don't know what the CET would be but in the last ice age ice reached down to around E Anglia, where the terminal moraine of the ice sheet can be seen. However, I think in previous ice ages this was a lot worse, as there is a line of terminal moraine just south of Frankfurt edging towards Southern Germany from another ice age.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The last glacial maximum was about 21000 years ago and, according to various papers I've read on the subject, the best estimates of mean temperature over England range from around 7c in July to around -30c in January. The sea level was about 150m lower than at present so most of the Continental shelf around the British Isles was dry land, further increasing the continentality of the climate.

There was a rapid recovery in temperature between 13000 and 12000 years before present (b.p ) with a winter mean temperature around 4c and summers around 16c, this warming was followed by fluctuating temp's around a slowly declining mean between 12700 and 10200 years b.p . By late in this period the summer mean was around 15c and the winter mean around -5c.

There was an abrupt fall in temp's around 11300 years b.p ( the Younger Dryas ) with mean winter temp's at almost glacial levels until somewhere between 10000 and 10300 years b.p when another rapid warming took place.

Posted
I don't know what the CET would be but in the last ice age ice reached down to around E Anglia, where the terminal moraine of the ice sheet can be seen. However, I think in previous ice ages this was a lot worse, as there is a line of terminal moraine just south of Frankfurt edging towards Southern Germany from another ice age.

I think you will find that it reached down to London as there is a terminal moraine that can be clearly seen in the geography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
The last glacial maximum was about 21000 years ago and, according to various papers I've read on the subject, the best estimates of mean temperature over England range from around 7c in July to around -30c in January. The sea level was about 150m lower than at present so most of the Continental shelf around the British Isles was dry land, further increasing the continentality of the climate.

There was a rapid recovery in temperature between 13000 and 12000 years before present (b.p ) with a winter mean temperature around 4c and summers around 16c, this warming was followed by fluctuating temp's around a slowly declining mean between 12700 and 10200 years b.p . By late in this period the summer mean was around 15c and the winter mean around -5c.

There was an abrupt fall in temp's around 11300 years b.p ( the Younger Dryas ) with mean winter temp's at almost glacial levels until somewhere between 10000 and 10300 years b.p when another rapid warming took place.

What caused this rapid warming ?

So the average was -30c ? in the winter

I assume given say londons latitude if you removed all of the oceans influencences you might get -15c as a average for Jan ?

whats the average for Moscow now at cir 54 degrees north well away from the sea North Atlantic drift ?

If only a average of 7c in July I assume that was due to more northlies from the ice sheets blowing down