Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning maps

Posted

The lightning maps which ceased in mid December when the UK Met Office stopped sending the coded reports, have now returned in a slightly different form and with 5 minute updates. Thanks due I believe to Christian of 'meteocentre'. Link below:

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk....&map=Europe

You'll see various options along the top - Europe, France, northwest Europe and southeast Europe. Colour coding is the number of minutes since a strike occurred, so royal blue = 180 to 360 minutes since a strike etc. etc. Toggle 'type' on the right hand side for the number of impacts in the last 30 minutes.

The return of a really useful site for storm watchers.

Gibli

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Good to see the meteocentre sferics plots back, it has always been my 'prefered' lightning detector ever since I started following storms on the interent and IMO the most accurate of the free ones. So I was disappointed when it stopped. Met Office Atd detector is the most accurate, if you don't mind paying an annual subscription!

Posted

The meteocentre site was using the atd data, which I think has now been pulled as it's not been updated since the 18th and I know the meto charge 12,000euro's a year for it so I imagine they wouldn't want it given out for nothing!

Posted

Ah that's a shame - netweather is certainly a viable alternative option. I see no reason why the MetO can't at least have a free hourly sferics chart - with free radar at 30 min intervals. Though, I guess there's quite alot of commercial interest in accurate lightning data.