Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Good luck and STAY SAFE

Look forward to reading lots lof reports and seeing lots of decent pictures

good luck and all the best

nigel

Posted

Seems like a good situation for starting out, a cool northerly setting in and nothing to do but get organized on Monday, possibly some warm frontal waves developing over central KS on Tuesday and Wednesday, then much larger severe weather prospects for Thursday and Friday in that same area. Should be a chance to relax, get over the jet lag and get a tan, and then go after some pretty juicy storms later in the week.

Posted

Well, I'm here in the good old USA now. I am flying via Chicago and waiting for my connecting flight, which leaves in just over an hour. I guess the rest of the guys must be in Dallas now and en route to the hotel if not already there. I will catch up with them for dinner at the Cool River Cafe. Looking forward to having a few bevvies tonight, then getting ready for the chase.

I've brought three cameras and three tripods with me, plus a few assorted lenses - just in case we get lucky with the weather!

Bring it on... B)

I am testing a GPS tracking device I bought last week, and used it on the plane, after forgetting to switch it on until an hour into the flight. Hopefully it should be able to provide a daily track of our journey on Google Earth, and if I can sync it with the cameras it should show where the photos have been taken. This is going to be a bit of a learning curve, so it could take a few days to get the hang of. But it will be fascinating to be able to see where we go, and hopefully it will be of interest to all of you following our progress.

Cheers for now.

Posted

Thats good to hear blackie and yeah that would be interesting to see where you have been and where about the photos were taken so by all means go for it!

Also good luck to you bristolwx you've got a very early start I'll still be in the land of nod at 4.30!

Posted

Hope you are all enjoying your touch down in the USA and your meal, menu looked really nice :p

Enjoy, have a drinky for Michael's birthday B) and stay safe :)

Posted

Looking forward to meeting up with you tomorrow, Martyn. I guess you must be landing around 2-2.30pm if you have an early flight. I had an unused Virgin ticket that I bought last year, so had to come the one-stop route. it is a bit of a pain, but security was very good here in Chicago. It only took 10-15 minutes to get through and get my luggage.

Sorry you will miss tonight's meal. It should be good. But we will have the odd drink for you as well.

See you in Dallas.

Peter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Just a little something I did for Paul and the gang to whet their appetites B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-GluJqVb8

Posted

That's class Gorky!

Here's to a successful trip boys B)

Posted

I'm now full of steak... all 21oz of top sirloin along with bowl of potato salad, steak fries, and 3 fully stuffed potato skins smother in cheese and more steak. I think I'm going to be sick, but it was worth it B) I didn't eat anything all day saving myself for this but I still couldn't manage even looking at the dessert menu.

Steak Chase 08 has certainly got off to a nice start :p

As for my plan for tomorrow, I'm heading down to Palo Duro Canyon for a a day of photography in what will hopefully be stunning scenery. Then back to Amarillo for another night here at the Big texan, with travelling on Tuesday to a start location for a possible chase on Wednesday.

Edited by Gorky

Posted
Just a little something I did for Paul and the gang to whet their appetites :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-GluJqVb8

Nathan,

That is so not fair. Start at the Cow Camp and end at the Big Texan :p , whilst I sit here eating my cheese and pickle sandwich!! :) B)

Good luck on your chase.

Stewart

Posted

This is for you storm chasers, you know who you are (or at least you did at some point) ... :lol:

Thursday looks like the big day in west central KS, let's hope it's not Greensburg again, but it seems pretty close on the models. Before that, would assess the chances as slim to none for later today, then possible isolated severe central KS on Tuesday as warm front begins to strengthen. This may start out close to CO border but end up around Hill City. Wednesday, you would not want to waste much gas leaving the western KS theatre for any minor pop-ups, because the action on Wednesday is likely to be over western CO. If gas were free, I would say go west young men, but probably better to wait and salivate at the maps as this rather dynamic looking frontal wave develops over eastern CO and moves to central KS with a strong Gulf feed and loads of thickness contrast in the cold front.

In other words, it's almost got to go major tornadic by Thursday afternoon unless all of these maps are totally bogus. And they have been so consistent for so many days now, I have to doubt they would change much.

Friday for what it's worth, the severe risk shifts rapidly east and southeast, possibly faster than one could reasonably drive after a long day of chasing and dodging on Thursday.

I hope you enjoy every success ... loved that video of the highway north from DFW.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

To be fair Stewart, the awesomeness of both of those steak houses is probably drowned out by the Kettle cafe which I believe appears in one frame :) mmmmmm battered steak... :lol: :o

Posted

Well have now got up and fully refreshed and ready to go, into USA Time now and aclimatised.

8 of the team are here with just 2 to pick up later today (They should be on there way by now) :D

Had an amazing meal last night in the Cool River Cafe (And yes this place is as good as Cow Camp) and it tasted better because it was Free :D:p

Michael Fish certainly had a great Birthday from the moment he got Upgraded with Champagne on his BA Flight to actually finding Bitter (YES BITTER :D ) In the USA!!

Today is set-up day with the Barons and getting other techie stuff done in the cars, Radios are fitted already, we had a great result with the cars and got even bigger ones than the Durango's with more power points, mine has 60 miles on the clock and has that luveeerly new smell (Poor Poor Car!)

After picking up the last 2 guys later at DFW We will be heading Northwards for Monday Night, nothing much more to report at the moment but looks like Wednesday onwards for Storm Action.

Peter will probably upload some pics of the meal last night in a little while.

Regards

Paul S & Team

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Sounds great...new car and Mr Fish knows a good drink when he sees it :p

Regarding the Barons, are you going to post screen shots occasionally when there is or has been some action?

Good hunting.

Russ :D

Posted

Nice to know you all arrived in one piece.. and Paul.. I actually got a storm last night.. LOL

Have fun Guys!! :D

Posted

Yes I echo what Potty says...good to hear you have all arrived safely.

Have a great time guys, looking forward to more of your reports

Brian :D

Posted
Sounds great...new car and Mr Fish knows a good drink when he sees it :D

Regarding the Barons, are you going to post screen shots occasionally when there is or has been some action?

Good hunting.

Russ :D

Yes we will defo post shots of the Barons

Nice to know you all arrived in one piece.. and Paul.. I actually got a storm last night.. LOL

Have fun Guys!! :)

:D Grrrrrrrrr! :p

Posted
Yes we will defo post shots of the Barons

By the way Paul..the s.ferics are gathering pace here in the UK if you fancy popping back accross :D